Weird China RF triggers

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanjyj

Apr 8, 2007
The cheapo China RF triggers I have (bought one set and one extra receiver, then not happy with quality control, thus went to change for another brand new receiver) all exhibit WEIRD characters.

BAH. I am going to stick to the higher end ones from now on. Wasted my cash :mad2:

1. It takes 1/40s!* for the signal to be sent from trigger to receiver at 20m** distance! This is weird ain't it? I never knew know that RF signals (433MHz) move so slowly. Or am I missing something here?
  2. The trigger is useless beyond 15m (Even at 15m missfire occurs roughly 20% of the time). At 20m it is pretty much a touch and go affair.

*(You ask me how I know - well, at 1/60s I fire the camera shutter. I can see the flash fire, but in the final photo the flash is not seen. I.e. shutter closes before the flash fires!)[/B]
**At closer ranges like 5m this is no longer a problem, and I can safely trigger up to 1/200s. But then, at 5m range I might as well use CLS i-TTL right? :rolleyes: (Doesn't apply to studio strobes. For Canon E-TTL I am not too sure

Image for your reference. 15m

chanjyj

Apr 8, 2007
一分钱,一分货。
Distance wise, if the thing cannot work beyond 15m I will still accept it. But...

It takes 1/40s!* for the signal to be sent from trigger to receiver at 20m** distance

what kind of stupid nonsense is this? And is it physically possible anyway?!

chanjyj

Apr 8, 2007
This one, strangely, pass the test.
Forgot to mention though, that they did not pass the test of close proximity. Keep at least 40cm apart.

Jan 23, 2005
Singapore
Distance wise, if the thing cannot work beyond 15m I will still accept it. But...

It takes 1/40s!* for the signal to be sent from trigger to receiver at 20m** distance

what kind of stupid nonsense is this? And is it physically possible anyway?!
It doesn't take 1/40 s from transmitter to receiver. It may take the receiver 1/40 s to react to the signal. By evaluating the signal for a relatively long time, the receiver gains immunity against electrical noise and interfering signals.

chanjyj

Apr 8, 2007
It doesn't take 1/40 s from transmitter to receiver. It may take the receiver 1/40 s to react to the signal. By evaluating the signal for a relatively long time, the receiver gains immunity against electrical noise and interfering signals.

What you say would make sense had the flash not fired at speeds of up to 1/200s at 10m. Why the sudden increase in reaction timing at 20m leaves me bemused.

chanjyj

Apr 8, 2007
Thinking back... I did alot of testing (alot means I blinded the whole neighbourhood).

the final part of my testing was at 20m. It may be possible that the 1/40s speed at 20m is due to a low battery. I'll get round to testing it sometime.

Have been thinking of zhnging it and adding an antenna too :think:

chanjyj

Apr 8, 2007
Used a coiled piece of wire (5.5cm, should be ideal for the 433mhz frequency, engineers pls correct me if I am wrong ;p)

Works ok now (I no more energy left to walk to 20m again and test at this time of the night) ;p

Strangely, straight piece of wire is useless, wire wrapped round transmitter also useless... only this shape seems to be able to trigger reciever. Really weird. REALY WEIRD JUJU :dunno:

chanjyj

Apr 8, 2007
Disappointed. After adding the extra antenna, (despite theoretical increased range of 30m), range remains the same and the furthur you go, the slower the flash responds. By the time I reach 11m, shutter speed has to be approx 1/60s (which means I cannot overpower the sun) and that is, if the stupid receiver fires the flash at all. (I would say failure rate of 50%).

Any engineer here who can advise me on the antenna? I really at a loss now. According to science, I have already done everything right.

(It is not the transmitter or receiver problem. I have already went to change for a new set. Problems are identical)

chanjyj

Apr 8, 2007
search the strobist think there is a mod for it. I did it too does improve the signal but I switch to something which is never fail and longer distance. :dunno:
I saw those mods. I use them as a basis for my own mod but realised that their antennas all don't work with mine although we all using the same chipboard.

I had to make a curly shape for the darn thing to work (and must circle around 2 times somemore).

chanjyj

Apr 8, 2007
I just let it come out of the casing, you can have mine to test it. After the mod wow it is shoik but still can't beat the real one. :dunno:
I just modded another one. Fed up. This time I just took one antenna and stick on the stupid transmitter. (when I shoot I extend the transmitter antenna up by 3 times).

Look like some stupid alien :angry:

Your real one is what? Pocket Wizard, Bowens or Elinchrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom