Wedding videography

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawngel

Nov 25, 2005
Singapore, Northwest
Hi,

I used to take casual videos (home videos) of bday party and when going on a hols..so I am consider a newbie at this...
My frenz qutie like what I did..
and main aim is to cut cost la..(so sad:(..)
so decided to ask me for help for a R.O.M session 2 wks down the road.

I think it is a simple ROM ceremony follow by a buffet lunch.

What do I need to look out for when shooting the video and photos?
Think I wan to create a "warm" kind of video..with frenz and family blessings..together with the preparation...before, after and during the solomenization and some nice photos.
Editing should be ok.

Equipments I have:
Panasonic G35 (Videocam)
Digital camera (fujifilm F31fd, panasonic lumix)

Do you think these are sufficient?
what other stuffs do I need? Will I need a mp3 recorder to record during the vow taking?

Welcome all inputs...Thanks=)

Have an idea for the video (how it should flow etc) .

Find out what kind of video they(your client) want, what they want to see, who are the important guest that must be included in the video. Plan for key shots that are a must have (ie, important ceremony procedures).

Best is you can check out the location first. So you will know where to position yourself on that day.

Have a time line run through of what will happen on that day. Keep this with you, so you will know what to expect, and use this to plan beforehand as well.

If you want to include voice recording best get a mike, not mp3 recorder.

You multitasking as photographer/videographer?

Hope this helps a bit.

for shooting video, you can't move to much, and your movement must be very smooth, else everyone get motion sickness after viewing your video.

for shooting photo, you need to move around and moving very fast to get best angle, capture the best moment in split seconds.

and for ROM event, consider is a very fast pace event, and it is very short, just wondering how do you shoot video and photo at the same time.

Hi zywerkz and catchlights,

Thanks for your reply..It does give me a headstart on how to prepare..
I will only be one either the videographer or photographer while another fren will be the other one..
I think it is a good idea to check out the location first..

Catchlight,
Yah I agree...I also tot that rom is a very fast event....so muz plan..scared I will miss out things.

zywerkz,
you mean a mike to connect to the video cam?
quite budgeted..so tot if I could use a mp3 player with mic.and place nearer the vowing table to record the sound..and later add in during editing..

what do u all think of the idea?
any other tips? ^_^

check out the location earlier is not always possible.

if it is @ROM building, you only can go in during your friend appointment, so if you are the first time been there, good luck to you.

if it is outside venue, regardless outdoor, indoor, poolside, hotel, restaurant or club house, they won't set up the place for the ceremony permanent, so it is only few hours before the ceremony than it will be ready, anyway, most of the places are looks nice for the romantic ambiance, but can be big problem for photography, like too dark, high or black ceiling, too much glass or mirror, back-lighting, direct sunlight casting in, too confine area...etc

btw, even you are very familiar with the sequent of the ceremony, the couple are not, so you won't know how will they react during the ceremony, so a slow camera may not able to capture those very candid photos.

anyway, since your friend want to save money, so just do whatever you can.

well, it is suppose to be once in a life time event. it is advisable to hire professional to do that, although having some backup is always a good idea.

anyway, be sure that your videocam has the in-built stabilization feature in it. Bring along your tripod also.

BTW, about using MP3 player to record sound, you better think twice before you do that, or at least not to rely on that. MP3 is not meant for that purpose, and generally, the recorded sound will have a lot of noise, which i believe your video cam inbuilt mic can do much better job that. Some videocam has the feature of "zoom" the mic recording, which may be useful you are standing a distance away from the couple.

its recommended if you get a mike like boom mike. sound quality will be apparent when you edit it into the video.

or you can do what Draccoyap recommended, use the onboard sound recorder from your videocam

Thanks for all the reco..=) realli appreciate that...

Draccoyap,
Yah my videocam has an onboard zoom mike...but dunno if it will capture the sound well enuff.
I am intending to set up my tripod near the solominization table...

and get a 2nd videocam..to go ard for candid shots.....What do you think abt that?

Zywek,
I tot of a mike...but a boom mike is wired right?
Wont it look not that nice in the video?
Anyway, if I want a mike..anywhere to rent it?

just shoot away! If the place is sufficiently bright, turn off the flash and shoot ambient, the F31 flash doesn't recharge very quickly, turn off the LCD review and you got to be 100% sure of your camera. ROM is still quite slow paced most of the time, so shouldn't be a problem. The only faster events that might slip by would be the exchange of vows and any funny expressions the couple have. Make sure your cam is pointed to them and finger always ready for action! Turn off the focus assist and turn on high speed shooting. Always pre-focus on either the bride or groom ready to take a shot, because the F31 doesn't focus too quickly. :D

Taking videos during the exchanging of vows is a good and better if you can patch your video audio from the PA system, if the venue allows for one (i know a hotel with freaking expensive parking doesn't allow)

I have a shotugn vocal mic to lend you if you need. Let me know early I'll dig for it. The characteristic of the mic is that it is very directional, so you got to know what you're doing. eg: wedding couple and JP faces opposite directions and nobody should be more than 4.5dBA louder than the other. A good omni directional mic boomed or setup into the centre of the table is good. Transmit wirelessly for good mobility.

GOOD LUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.