Wedding Video/Montage Copyright Announcement

engr

Nov 9, 2004
Central
Dear All, I have been in touch with the relevant authority to find out how to resolve the long standing issue of copyright music and they have finally arrived at the results. Below are infomation that I have interpreted from the RIPS so please verify with them directly should you have any doubts. I do not represent RIPS and my intent is to spread the availability of a solution for all of us here.

Situation:
1. Recording Industry Performance Singapore (RIPS) is the authority to enforce copyright infringement. COMPASS represents composers only.
2. RIPS represents 14 record labels at the moment.
3. Any songs that RIPS represents that are used in a wedding video/photo montage (music syned to music) IS an infringement. Regardless of whether it is played back at a private function or where-ever. The policy is the event is a public place, anyone that walks pass can peep into the ballroom and there is no control

Solution:
1. An annual licence of SGD2000 for the calender year, registered to freelance individuals or company. COMPASS is covered under the same licence.
2. This licence allows the use of any songs under the 14 labels for wedding video/montage applications.
3. Up to 3 songs may be used per wedding. These songs may be distributed (mech rights) to the couple (or any immediate relatives, close friends etc) as part of the wedding video / wedding photo deliverables.
4. Licence does not cover internet hosting. Videos that are shown on the internet requires seperate licencing from the individual record labels.

Infringements:
1. Enforcement teams are monitoring activities
2. Prosecution action would be taken against offenders by RIPS

Conclusion:
If you like to use such music pay for it or get your clients to do so. Otherwise royalty free songs would be the way to go.

For any enquires, kindly contact RIPS and consult their licencing officers

Last edited:
So does that mean we need to apply for 2 licenses ?

One for RIPS representing the record labels, and one for COMPASS representing the music composers ?

i think we should look more at these 2 areas as the rest of the categories is per site per annum. which doesnt really apply to us that goes to different sites.

Category F
Reproduction of Sound Recordings into a Storage System for the purpose of public performance by event organisers/operators.

Rate per annum: S$1,500.00

Category G
Reproduction of Sound Recordings into a Storage System for the purpose of public performance by freelance DJs.

Rate Per Annum $600.00

http://www.rips.com.sg/rsr.html

Regardless of whether it is played back at a private function or where-ever. The policy is the event is a public place, anyone that walks pass can peep into the ballroom and there is no control

hmm i wonder if you consider church a private place or public place. there are several churches are own by church themselves and henceforth a private place?

sorry, no offence to anyone, and not trying to challenge any of the earlier posts (cos written text cannot convey expression...)

but Somehow, the more i read, the more confused i get.

currently, there are 3 major bodies when we talk about copyright. RIPS (http://www.rips.com.sg/) , MPA (http://www.mps.org.sg/) , and COMPASS (http://compass.org.sg) . The question is who does what. It seems that all 3 represent the (same) recording labels. Most of the reference for RIPS seems to imply that they deal mainly with music video (MTV) reproduction at public entertainment outlets, like discos, karaokes.

Also when I read the FAQ for RIPS, http://www.rips.com.sg/faq.html#PPL

there is this section that says
Do I need an additional licence from RIPS as I already have a licence from COMPASS?

Yes, if you are offering karaoke and/or music videos entertainment in your establishment. RIPS grant licences for performance in public of the film used in connection with karaoke and/or music videos belonging to the record companies.

COMPASS represents the copyright interest of composers, authors and publishers of musical works and their lyrics.

Do note that when we want to make use of the music, we are dealing with 3 copyrights. The music composition, the lyrics, and the artist's performance.

from the MPS FAQs,
Q5: If I want to use a musical composition for say a TV ad or TV drama series or movie film, can't I just deal with COMPASS (Composers & Authors Society of Singapore) and obtain rights from them directly for such usage.

A5: No you cannot. COMPASS essentially is a performance society. In other words, the licenses which it offers generally pertain only to PUBLIC PERFORMANCE and BROADCAST rights in respect of musical compositions. All other rights existing in musical compositions remains under the administration of the music publishers themselves. Therefore obtaining a license just from one party, for example COMPASS, does not automatically absolve you as the music user, from the responsibility of obtaining other rights from the music publishers.

It is important to remember and understand that different kinds of rights are involved depending on the nature of the music usage, e.g. ringtones, TV advertisements, movies, song books, cover version recordings or original sound recordings, etc. As such, depending on the manner of usage, you sometimes need to obtain clearances from COMPASS and/or MPS/music publishers, and/or the recording companies.

Remember this simple rule:-

COMPASS > Public Performance & Broadcast Rights in musical compositions.

Music Publishers > All other music rights (eg. Mechanical, print, reproduction, etc) in musical compositions.

so i wonder where that leaves us.

seriously if you ask me...i would just buy a few royalty free music rather than pay $2000 per year

say if i really wanna invest in it. say each royalty music cost about $ 50. 2000 would give me 40 songs. let the couples pick the song from the list. and there is no recurring fees. !

http://www.stockmusic.net

Dear All, I have been in touch with the relevant authority to find out how to resolve the long standing issue of copyright music and they have finally arrived at the results. Below are infomation that I have interpreted from the RIPS so please verify with them directly should you have any doubts. I do not represent RIPS and my intent is to spread the availability of a solution for all of us here.

Situation:
1. Recording Industry Performance Singapore (RIPS) is the authority to enforce copyright infringement. COMPASS represents composers only.
2. RIPS represents 14 record labels at the moment.
3. Any songs that RIPS represents that are used in a wedding video/photo montage (music syned to music) IS an infringement. Regardless of whether it is played back at a private function or where-ever. The policy is the event is a public place, anyone that walks pass can peep into the ballroom and there is no control

Solution:
1. An annual licence of SGD2000 for the calender year, registered to freelance individuals or company. COMPASS is covered under the same licence.
2. This licence allows the use of any songs under the 14 labels for wedding video/montage applications.
3. Up to 3 songs may be used per wedding. These songs may be distributed (mech rights) to the couple (or any immediate relatives, close friends etc) as part of the wedding video / wedding photo deliverables.
4. Licence does not cover internet hosting. Videos that are shown on the internet requires seperate licencing from the individual record labels.

Infringements:
1. Enforcement teams are monitoring activities
2. Prosecution action would be taken against offenders by RIPS

Conclusion:
If you like to use such music pay for it or get your clients to do so. Otherwise royalty free songs would be the way to go.

For any enquires, kindly contact RIPS and consult their licencing officers

Thanks for sharing.

What if I use myspace (merged from imeem.com) to create a playlist and play music from there? Since people are allowed to broadcast their playlists on the internet freely, does that mean I can play songs from a playlist in public too?

Yeah I was also pretty confused but RIPS basically said everything is covered under this licence. As mentioned, it is best to call them to find out directly, especially when u have all the questions in mind.

They have a letter with all the clauses listed

Hi, Just like to check so if we purchase music from etc stockmusic.net , all the license mention on the site License : http://www.stockmusic.net/index.cfm/page/main.

Cheers

seriously if you ask me...i would just buy a few royalty free music rather than pay $2000 per year

say if i really wanna invest in it. say each royalty music cost about $ 50. 2000 would give me 40 songs. let the couples pick the song from the list. and there is no recurring fees. !

http://www.stockmusic.net

I have used music from themusicase.com for wedding. They have each track for about 29 euro for wedding licensing. They license Royalty Free Music