Wedding Tips...

Status
Not open for further replies.

trigger_lim

This is my 1st time shooting for a wedding on 19 May at Klang. It my friend's brother's wedding. Currently using Nikon F65 lens kit.

Will it affect my shooting at night, due to lack of external flash? Thinking of renting a back-up camera and flash, but don know where to rent it? Anyone know where to rent? Can help me? :cry:

Will be grateful to those whose help me.. Thanx 1st..

trigger_lim said:
This is my 1st time shooting for a wedding on 19 May at Klang. It my friend's brother's wedding. Currently using Nikon F65 lens kit.

Will it affect my shooting at night, due to lack of external flash? Thinking of renting a back-up camera and flash, but don know where to rent it? Anyone know where to rent? Can help me? :cry:

you will need the external flash for many circumstances ... are you the main photographer?

shootin dinner i presume... the malaysian scene is v different from the local scene...

good luck....

External flash is needed, especially during indoors, about 90% of the wedding day event is held indoor.

Backup system is good, but mostly for insurance.

Bring more than enough film and batteries, and pack some more of it.

Understand your equipment well, know the custom well, plan your next move ahead, take control of the situation, and wear a smile.

As for the renting part, sorry that can’t help you on this.

Suggest you don't shoot, hire someone else instead. You sound too green... You could end up with green pictures of red-eyed white-skinned people, which would not look too nice...

Wai Leong
===
trigger_lim said:

it is a must to use external flash for wedding event shoot. if only rely on build flash from the camera, pic may turn out very bright on the main subject and the background very dark. external flash is normal use at bounce so that the overall lighting of the picture is even.

Not having adequate equipment is already half the battle lost :)

Some people's requirements may be very simple. Just shoot to capture whoever comes. In fact, there are people who cannot appreciate artistic/journalistic-style photography.

If the couple knows the photographer is inexperienced, and yet allows him to shoot, all the better for him.

Bring along spare batteries, film (ISO400). If can borrow an external flash, good. If not, I honestly think the built-in flash is good enough for general shots.

(but please, ensure the couple knows your standard/experience level so that they may set the appropriate expectation levels of you. Good luck!)

Sometimes the internal flash is good enough. Only problem is that it drains your batteries fast. You just got to learn to balance subject and background light. Try to bring along ISO800 film. I only use flash for 5% of my day shots (mostly family portraits), just be careful with your shutter speeds.

synapseman said:
Some people's requirements may be very simple. Just shoot to capture whoever comes. In fact, there are people who cannot appreciate artistic/journalistic-style photography.

If the couple knows the photographer is inexperienced, and yet allows him to shoot, all the better for him.

Bring along spare batteries, film (ISO400). If can borrow an external flash, good. If not, I honestly think the built-in flash is good enough for general shots.

(but please, ensure the couple knows your standard/experience level so that they may set the appropriate expectation levels of you. Good luck!)

Yep...most people just want SHARP results. ;)

trigger_lim said:

GET A FLASH AT LEAST!!!! Important....

Read more wedding photo mag before doing it, and be more familar with your camera, or find out where they holding the dinner, and go down one evening to test shoot one whole roll...... it would be better if your lens have 28mm.....

If they know you have little expereince, they should be ready to accept the end results, and the least you should do is to try your best. BUT HAVE EXTERNAL FLASH!!!

I shot 4-5 ROM and 1 wedding for friends before, and screwed up one due to under exposure and too dim lighting..... Was using negative, and they managed to salvage it..... using software... luckily....

For indoor, can consider UP the EV by +1/2 or +1......

Halfmoon said:
I shot 4-5 ROM and 1 wedding for friends before, and screwed up one due to under exposure and too dim lighting..... Was using negative, and they managed to salvage it..... using software... luckily....
Can elaborate? I'm kinda interested.

Halfmoon said:
For indoor, can consider UP the EV by +1/2 or +1......
What will this setting do for indoors?

:D Thanx alot guys... Can't manage to borrow a flash and had told my friend tat it my 1st time shooting for a wedding. But she said tat her brother don mind at all, cos they don't intend to hire a pro and wanted to do the shooting themselves.

Since i cant get a external flash, mayb i ll juz buy some 800 films. Anyone noe where to get them and how much it cost? :sweat:

800 is still pretty limited for night shots, so I still advise otherwise, but if you can couple it with a fast glass like 1.8 might work still. :)

You can get 800 film from most shops, :)

Hi Trigger,

Best if you could get an external flash. Some rules of thumb here:

1. Use ISO400 (indoor, day time with ambient light) or 800 (indoor, artificial ambient light).

2. For film, can slightly over-expose (say 1/2 stop), but try not to under expose too much.

3. Watch your active metering point. May consider using full frame metering, instead of Matrix metering.

4. If you have an external flash: tilt the flash head to ceiling, adjust angle, and --> Manual mode, ISO400~800, f3.5~4.5, 1/30~1/80, flash compensation +1~+2.

5. For indoor environment, generally use aperture to control exposure. If it's dark, use wider aperture, not stronger flash. Try to balance with ambient light.

6. Last but not least, a good blur shot may be better than a number of sharp shots. If you have an external flash, could make use of 2nd curtain syn to freeze the last moment while tracking the actions.

espn said:
Can elaborate? I'm kinda interested.

What will this setting do for indoors?

What do you like to know??? How they save the film??

I not so sure, as my friend went to the shop, and they told him the shots underexposure.... so what they did was scan it and try to correct it if I am not wrong.... using software....

Setting EV to +1/2 or +1 will reduce the chance for underexposure... but you should be familar with your camera enough to estimate the required stops..... If use flash, I think +1/2 should be enough.....

Canon camera tend to underexpose... he is using Nikon, so maybe he do not need to +1, maybe +1/2... but safest for him to go and shoot 1 roll at the dinner site to test out first...

But without EXTERNAL FLASH... he should face problems....

setting EV to +1/2 or +1 will definitely reduce the chance for underexposure but it'll also result in overexposure and maybe result in blurness due to subject movement or camera shake! unless the bridegroom and bride are both wearing white, you shouldn't need to apply positive exposure compensation.

Negative can rate +1 EV, overexpose it by one stop, will makes the color looks more saturate, unlike trans or digital.

For negative, if it is ISO 400, I rate it at ISO 200, if it is ISO 200, I rate it at ISO 100, I usually just set compensation +1 EV, and not to worry what ISO negative I load into the camera.

Unless you overexpose by 2 or 3 stop, because of incorrect metering or flash technique, the white grown shouldn’t be blown out.

I mention this long time ago. You can do a test to try it out yourself.

Hope this help.

To rate your film is safer than to set your f. to between 2.8 to 5.6 .
For the day shoot you should not have much problem so long as you use asa 200 or 400 and rate it 1 stop lower. Just bare in mind that for wedding shoots your DOF is important, any thing below f. 5.6 you have to be mindful of the DOF. other than doing portrait shoot, the rest of the day and night, try to shoot at between f.5.6 to f.11.

catchlights said:
Negative can rate +1 EV, overexpose it by one stop, will makes the color looks more saturate, unlike trans or digital.

For negative, if it is ISO 400, I rate it at ISO 200, if it is ISO 200, I rate it at ISO 100, I usually just set compensation +1 EV, and not to worry what ISO negative I load into the camera.

Unless you overexpose by 2 or 3 stop, because of incorrect metering or flash technique, the white grown shouldn’t be blown out.

I mention this long time ago. You can do a test to try it out yourself.

Hope this help.

yqt said:
To rate your film is safer than to set your f. to between 2.8 to 5.6 .
For the day shoot you should not have much problem so long as you use asa 200 or 400 and rate it 1 stop lower. Just bare in mind that for wedding shoots your DOF is important, any thing below f. 5.6 you have to be mindful of the DOF. other than doing portrait shoot, the rest of the day and night, try to shoot at between f.5.6 to f.11.

trigger_lim, heed these, tips from masters :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.