Wedding table shots - tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loboclerk

Jul 28, 2002
Singapore
Hi everyone

I've been tasked to help take table shots at a wedding. I'd probably use the D80 kit lens 18-70mm for that, but not sure if it can fit everyone in 18mm as its a 12-seater table (Conrad).

Anyone with experience and/or tips? Much appreciated. :)

Hi everyone

I've been tasked to help take table shots at a wedding. I'd probably use the D80 kit lens 18-70mm for that, but not sure if it can fit everyone in 18mm as its a 12-seater table (Conrad).

Dun worry. It'll fit. Heck, I even done that with 24mm on D200... :sweat:

Your cropped focal length is 27mm, mine is 36mm... just arrange them closer and you'll definitely fit the group in...

Try to get about 6 seated closely... and the others will stand behind ;)

yup zac08 is right. 18mm is enough for 14people (12+couple). do bring along flash cos lighting is usually not very good.

Thanks for the input! :)

Usually its 12+couple+family, sometimes plus any stray ones coming from other tables if they know each other. Thats when I start to wonder if 18mm is enough. heh.

18mm is DEFINITELY wide enough to fit 2 rows of 7 people, taken from across the table! :)
Probably it's even wider than that!
You should use bounce flash, for sure.
If you have SB600 or SB800, all the better. Tilt upwards and use the bounce card to get some nice catchlights in the eyes.

18mm is DEFINITELY wide enough to fit 2 rows of 7 people, taken from across the table! :)
Probably it's even wider than that!
You should use bounce flash, for sure.
If you have SB600 or SB800, all the better. Tilt upwards and use the bounce card to get some nice catchlights in the eyes.

hehe, great! So long as I don't have to back up too much to get everyone in! =)

I don't have SB800 nor SB600, just an old metz mecablitz 32z-1. I will try to take some consecutive shots (2 or 3) per table. Just afraid that the flash might not refresh fast enough. :dunno:

At the same time your flash recycles, allow them to recompose for another photo with different results too ;p

Like how our school class photos were taken.

hehe, great! So long as I don't have to back up too much to get everyone in! =)

I don't have SB800 nor SB600, just an old metz mecablitz 32z-1. I will try to take some consecutive shots (2 or 3) per table. Just afraid that the flash might not refresh fast enough. :dunno:

Change to fresh battries before the start of the table shots, after the first shots just play for time by saying
"Can we please sit closer"
"Could we move the chairs closer"
"The lady on the right please try to set closer"
"Those beinns please try to stand closer"
etc,
Key point, play for time by trying to seem like you're working ;)

haha, got it! Thanks for the tips! I did something like that while helping to take some prize presentation photos last week. :p

Hi everyone

If 18 mm can't fit ... use your LEGS :)

A more practical point - get a really GOOD flash with good wide coverage and fast recharge time.

Really consider getting a good flash.

Loan one or rent one first.

mmmm, what makes a good flash other than fast recharge time? (sorry, noob question)

mmmm, what makes a good flash other than fast recharge time? (sorry, noob question)

Make sure it's compatible.

Have accurate flash settings and gives you the amount of power you require. In your case, a SB-600, SB-800 or SB-900 would be the best bet.

you need a powerful flash with fast recycling time, else you won't be able to finish the all table shots in time. go get a SB800 with SD8A
btw, most ballrooms sure have enough space for you to back up a little, if it is in a restaurants, you may shoot it across from another table.

Status
Not open for further replies.