Wedding Photos, which metering system to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumball

Jul 8, 2003
which metering system should i use if i want to take a wedding photo of the couple wearing the wedding gown, black (dark color) for the groom and the white gown for the bride so that there is no over or underexposure? will the metering system be different if the background is different too?

Also where should I meter from? the bride or the groom?

Really hope some of you here can help me here or show me a link/book/magazine so that I can read on it?

Thank you in advance.

hey...avoid metering their outfit or your shots will turn out either over/under if u have a sensitive meter. As a general rule, meter their face. BTW, what sys are u using ? ;p

AhV said:
hey...avoid metering their outfit or your shots will turn out either over/under if u have a sensitive meter. As a general rule, meter their face. BTW, what sys are u using ? ;p

Canon EOS 5 and 300D.

Thanks for the advice. Shall I use, evalutive (matrix) to meter their face?

Thank you.

under general lighting conditions, using evaluative is quite safe..but if u encoounter strong backlight, u might wanna use SPOT metering BUT PLS REMEMBER TO AEL - Read your manual to confirm. Ifyou do not AEL during SPOT metering mode, your pic exposure settings may shift once you recompose your shots ;p

Actually, a wise teacher once told me ... understand your metering system by taking test shots..once u are comfortable with the result ..then stick with it despite what others might say :D

AhV said:
Actually, a wise teacher once told me ... understand your metering system by taking test shots..once u are comfortable with the result ..then stick with it despite what others might say :D

you should understand your camera's metering pattern and determine for yourself really, agree with the above point.

Thank you all for the advices. Appreciate it indeed.

Agreed, understand my metering system is better. Problem is I dun shoot so often especially this kind of high contrast subject side by side, will always forget how my camera metering system work ;p :embrass: .

Anyway, it is one of my freinds who ask me to take for them, thinking no harm trying. Still find difficulty in posing, any good books to recommend here?

Thanks once again! :D

you are the main photographer ?

Pls remember even if the couple is your friend, there are NO NG in weddings ! It's a "u have to do it and do it right" type of event. If you have no prior experience, pls do your homework on accessories to bring, some nice poses if u intend to do some outdoor shots, understand your metering system, sequence of event, ...etc. You have to prepare yourself. Some of us are wedding photographers, including myself... we have been thru' a lot to bring us where we are today. Some were 'painful' mistakes :(

I hope u enjoy your shoot ...

AhV said:
BUT PLS REMEMBER TO AEL - Read your manual to confirm.

Hi AhV,

Please may I know what does this AEL stand for? You mean change back to the other metering system like evaluative cos this spot metering is really very tricky fella. :bsmilie:

Anyway, thanks lot!

sumball said:
Hi AhV,

Please may I know what does this AEL stand for? You mean change back to the other metering system like evaluative cos this spot metering is really very tricky fella. :bsmilie:

Anyway, thanks lot!

your question worries me ? Are you new to photography ? Wedding is not a nice place to test your photography skills.

AEL -- AUTO EXPOSURE LOCK

this is usually used when we wanna lock the exposure settings at our metered area...in your coming scenario - their face...with this LOCK, the pic can then be recomposed in case you wanna put them at other areas of your viewfinder.

Pls use SPOT metering whenever necessary - it helps when you encounter strong BACKLIGHT - do you know what 'BACKLIGHT' means ???? I am a little worried for you :think:

AhV said:
your question worries me ? Are you new to photography ? Wedding is not a nice place to test your photography skills.

AEL -- AUTO EXPOSURE LOCK

this is usually used when we wanna lock the exposure settings at our metered area...in your coming scenario - their face...with this LOCK, the pic can then be recomposed in case you wanna put them at other areas of your viewfinder.

Pls use SPOT metering whenever necessary - it helps when you encounter strong BACKLIGHT - do you know what 'BACKLIGHT' means ???? I am a little worried for you :think:

Hahaha... Yes, AEL, the photography terminology... i know abt it, just couldnt recall it out of sudden and yes, i know how to use it. too many doc to perpare in the office, headache. hahaha

anyway, i m really touched by your kindness.

mpenza said:
read the manual. AEL uses average metering if I'm not wrong.

yes, i think it is the case for 300D, same as if meter when in manual way.

Thanks thanks!

sumball said:
Hahaha... Yes, AEL, the photography terminology... i know abt it, just couldnt recall it out of sudden and yes, i know how to use it. too many doc to perpare in the office, headache. hahaha

anyway, i m really touched by your kindness.

phew .... you got me :sweat: for a while.

If you have other questions, pls ask NOW.... you take care during your wedding shoot.

And remember, when in doubt, always meter the face, which is the most important part of wedding.

Try to capture the different expression during the wedding. This will create a different mood. I'll leave the composition to you. Get a wide angle lens. Space is always a problem in wedding shoots. :)

Thanks all! I think I will try it out. hahahaha TRY IT OUT, did I scare you again.

I hope I make it right. hahahaha

Really appreciate all the replies.

Cheers!

DO NOT METER off the face if it's very fair or very dark. Your exposure will be out.

Metering itself is a complicated subject, and being in the middle of a wedding doesn't help either.

The first thing you must absolutely get right is how your camera meters in DIFFERENT modes, and know when to use them. Partial, evaluative and center-weighted will all give different results when there is an off-centre light source (eg light or window). When you're moving around, eg tea ceremony, these light sources change in size relative to the frame and in intensity. Unless you're in manual mode, the compensation dial will have to keep turning to adjust to the frame. Takes a bit of experience (read: trial and error) to know how much to dial and when.

Another alternative is to use a grey card and fix the camera in manual mode. And stay alert for lighting changes.

Do a search on 'weddings' here. i think you'll turn up quite a lot of reading material, on both exposure and flash exposure for Canon systems.

I think it's personal preference. I always meter off the face and combine with the exposure compensation and FEC. Works fine for me.

Each should have their own habits/perference to get the best shots for the couple. :D

Referring to the pics' histograms will help.

You can shoot in RAW in mixed lighting situation if you don't mind doing some post processing work. At least you don't have to worry about the white balance during the indoor dinner hall shoot. I don't think 300D has spot meter. The AEL or * button is for partial metering.

ST1100 said:
DO NOT METER off the face if it's very fair or very dark. Your exposure will be out.

Metering itself is a complicated subject, and being in the middle of a wedding doesn't help either.
ST1100 said:
We have to agree with ST1100 on this point... Basically, you need to study the couple and be constantly aware of your surrounding light sources .... you may consider metering midtones in certain situations ..... it's hard to explain...u need practice and more practice .....

Status
Not open for further replies.