Wedding Photogrpahy

khhc02

Sep 18, 2009
Singapore, Singapore
I am new to Wedding Photography but my friend asked me to be her wedding photographer.

What are the things I should look out for and where do I start as a wedding photographer?

Keep extra battery and memory cards ready. Change before they are exhausted/ filled.

When not moving (I.e interior), change to wide angle. When moving, change to telephoto. This will prep u to anticipate what is gg to happen.

Ask to photograph all the relatives even if they are shy. They will be grateful to you.

Don't eat the food unless you are invited to.

Always show that you are working. Don't be out of sight from the main people. Don't sit down unless you can't be seen or you are invited to.

Always take pics before you are asked to.

I am new to Wedding Photography but my friend asked me to be her wedding photographer.

What are the things I should look out for and where do I start as a wedding photographer?

Ponder over this:

• Have you shot a wedding before or have done so as a sole photographer without any issue (if you have shot any at all to begin with)
  • Am I a really competent photographer with the right equipment and back equipment?
  • Experienced with all that is required as a wedding photographer who knows what kind of shots are required.
  • Understand there are planning and preparation of equipment to be made before you begin and end assignment.
  • Compared to the others' wedding photos portfolio where do you see your own ability by comparison of skill and creativity.
  • Is your friend on a tight budget or because you are free and they 'think' you can do the job ....base on what you have done in the past or what you told them you could? Or because you are CHEAP & GOOD?
  • Are you being paid to do the job and if so base on what level of expectation of result because you are paid? get that in writing as to what's expected.

MOST IMPORTANTLY...

A marrying couple is getting married ONE (PRICEY) TIME and what's done can not be undone nor can you go back in time to redo it because you did not get the right shots. Before you think it is a cool thing to be asked to shoot the wedding think about that carefully.

As a amateur/hobbyist photographer, if you do not get it right, MOST situations permit you to go redo it again another day or re-shoot till you get it right.

If you are not good enough to do a wedding shoot or have never done this before, better to step back and let them get a better experienced person to do it while play backup and use that chance to practice before taking lead role for some other future friend's wedding.

If for some reason they (or you) still want you to be the photographer, best impress on your friend that they have to take whatever you produce at the end of the say without regrets and complains.

Their wedding day is more important then being an experiment for you to add to your photo library at the end of the day.

Seeing the portfolio of some other people's wedding and then looking at their own photos are a very different thing especially if it is not done to what they expected on hindsight.

Last edited:

Before u agree to anything, have u ask your friend abt her expectations of u?

The level of expectations will either make or break your friendship with her.

Will you be able to meet her expectations? If no, then better don't do it. It's for your own good.

Last edited:
All the bros' advice are here do think carefully and seriously..."can I handle it"

Thanks to all Clubsnappers advice. Yes she does know what I have little experience, even though it is cheap labour for her. But she is comfortable to have me as her wedding photographer and she was very pleased with the way the photos were taken. There were more likes than misses.

Only regret is that I only have a 24mm - 120mm which I took of them lying on the grass facing up. It could be done better if I had a wider lens like 18mm.

I also regret that I did not have a macro lens to take of them via their wedding ring to frame them up.

I hope I will have more opportunities to take more wedding photos then from there I can slowly charge people higher. A D600 and a D610 camera body is not cheap especially when the shutter count is increasing very fast.

Bro, u can always retake the wedding ring part, no?;p

Thanks to all Clubsnappers advice. Yes she does know what I have little experience, even though it is cheap labour for her. But she is comfortable to have me as her wedding photographer and she was very pleased with the way the photos were taken. There were more likes than misses.

Only regret is that I only have a 24mm - 120mm which I took of them lying on the grass facing up. It could be done better if I had a wider lens like 18mm.

I also regret that I did not have a macro lens to take of them via their wedding ring to frame them up.

I hope I will have more opportunities to take more wedding photos then from there I can slowly charge people higher. A D600 and a D610 camera body is not cheap especially when the shutter count is increasing very fast.

good! you very brave, she also very brave. I like it!

and do you know do if you shoot with a 18mm on a full frame sensor, you probably will be "shooting your own feet" as well? LOL

here is a tips for you, a stool is so much cheaper than a ultra wide angel lens, and it will really bring your photos "to the next level" too!! and there are pros doing that.

btw, do you think people still making photo prints nowadays? wedding days photos? even they do, they hardly go anything bigger than 4R prints, because that is the cheapest photo print size you can find.
So, do you really need 24MP camera to produce some 2MP photos? why don't just shoot with whatever lens you have crop it down, you don't need a macro lens for that, even buy a close up filter just to shoot ring shot is consider overkill, you don't see much details lost on a 4R photo and they won't use magnifying glass to check the photos anyway. Photographers are the one who pixel peep everything, especially newbies.

Reactions: Nikonzen
Keep extra battery and memory cards ready. Change before they are exhausted/ filled.

When not moving (I.e interior), change to wide angle. When moving, change to telephoto. This will prep u to anticipate what is gg to happen.

Ask to photograph all the relatives even if they are shy. They will be grateful to you.

Don't eat the food unless you are invited to.

Always show that you are working. Don't be out of sight from the main people. Don't sit down unless you can't be seen or you are invited to.

Always take pics before you are asked to.

Why cannot eat the food sir? He is their friend, even hired vendors can eat the food. Becoming wedding photographer does not automatically become a slave who cannot eat the food. It is a physically tiring job with long hours. Poor boy.

Why cannot eat the food sir? He is their friend, even hired vendors can eat the food. Becoming wedding photographer does not automatically become a slave who cannot eat the food. It is a physically tiring job with long hours. Poor boy.

Fully agree during my days I even got to sit at a dinner table :)

Usually most will have no issues of photographers having some food and/or a seat at one of the tables, and even personally invite you it. There are others who will ensure that their photographers are well fed before the event starts, as many knows that there will be little time for them to eat.

BUT, do note that are some minorities who are really calculative, and only expect you to work, not to eat. And also those who are status conscious, that dislike photographers sharing the buffet/ food with their 'distinguished' VIP guests. So it is best to know the host you're working for, first. On the other hand, there are also photographers who pigged on the food for the guests, in quite an unglamorous way. I've seen all this.

Usually most will have no issues of photographers having some food and/or a seat at one of the tables, and even personally invite you it. There are others who will ensure that their photographers are well fed before the event starts, as many knows that there will be little time for them to eat.

BUT, do note that are some minorities who are really calculative, and only expect you to work, not to eat. And also those who are status conscious, that dislike photographers sharing the buffet/ food with their 'distinguished' VIP guests. So it is best to know the host you're working for, first. On the other hand, there are also photographers who pigged on the food for the guests, in quite an unglamorous way. I've seen all this.

When I was first asked to do my relatives, friends and even office colleagues wedding shoots, eating is the last thing on my mind if i can help it. It is just the way I am when I put myself in that scenario and that's because I want to be the best at what I do. I want the best for me and them walking away from this event thus I tend to not sweat the small stuff.

That's not to say I will be take five sometime. ( I still need to go toilet heh )for me when I do the wedding or some event for companies I worked for ( no usually never for money but i do get the odd ang pows or added value to my job) I am more concern if I miss a crucial happening more then anything. For equipment I need to be sure they work or have a backup. It's no excuse to blame your gear when bad things happen. You agree to do the job then you have to do it. Be that gear or food.

So I tend to eat a big meal before I go shoot, I stash a water bottle on me or drink the odd cup at a buffet or even at a sit down where they did reserve a seat for me but i hardly sit to eat. I treat it as my buffet table for a quick bite or gulp. Some folks at the table does me a favor to put a small share of each course of food on my plate even. If I am not at a sit down wedding dinner but doing the ritual home-to-home take the bride, go temple or church eg.. I pack chocolate bars for quick energy and a few buns in my bag when I remember I feel hungry.

But then again that is the same for how you view work and life. To do your best, make no excuse and be prepare to know your stuff and your responsibility to deliver on that promise. Sure I am not paid so why put out 110% effort for friend sake? Each of us will have to find that answer for ourselves to live with. I know I have friends who asked me because they think I am good enough for what they need, at times yes because I am cheaper as they can't afford a pro and they just pay for my batteries,film and cost of processing, some can afford but they choose me still, some are my best bros or lady friends so they know I will not let them down for what i can do. For work, you do it because you feel you can contribute without being calculative, to help your career or just to get closer to your working colleagues. Most of all., because you love photography. Hope we have not forgotten that to begin with. heh.

But these days, the expectation is a lot more given what modern DSLRs can do, video options and the number of photo "standards" that comes with wedding packages, we now are seeing what use to be a solo photographer doing it all, it has expanded to at least a 2-3 or more operation to take on shooting all day on location, special couple shooting on locations and photo editing.

Given all that, friend or not, you have to be clear with what your friend's (or whoever) are in syn when ti comes to expectations of work. If not, things may not go well during the shooting event and worst, after the event when it is all said and done. Just be clear, even for no money, there will always be EXPECTATIONS. If you already have ready-made excuse to use in case you fail to deliver then you are not ready to take your photography to the next level.

Good example, look at the mess in the other thread about a wedding project that went thru a 3 party engagement which end up with you say, I say, they say. Link

But that's just me.

Last edited:

Then don't worry too much.

Go read up on photographer tips on how to take good shots with just yr lens, and make them look good as if u r using different lens.

Always rem, the goodness is not with yr equipment, its with your skills and creativity.

love this thread!

@khhc02

everyone's advise here are excellent read and sounds from real experience.
but you only discover for yourself what you can and cannot do during the big day.
It's a learning opportunity, but you have to have a firm mindset that you want to do this and most importantly, the couple has to know what to expect. therefore, set clear expectations!
What we are talking about here is not just taking pictures... we are recording a very important moment in their lives hence our huge responsibility.
every photograph is a recollection of the event in remembering their big day.
having said that... its all about skill set, not just camera equipment. here are my thoughts for you on the main event (not the engagement shoot/ pre-nup).

1. ask what type pictures they want. pose photography? (which everyone is doing using smartphones) or candid shots? (where emotions are real)
2. capture every moment, there is no rehearsal, it doesn't happen again.
3. your skill level determines the mode you will use: Auto, P-Mode, Manual, Aperture, Shutter. Find your level...now!
4. have a long lens, an ultrawide and a macro (2 camera bodies if you can). speedlights are a must for indoors, lowlight.
5. talk to the wedding planner for the program so you can anticipate things and don't be lost.
6. you can eat... energy bar and drink 100Plus because it's going to be like a marathon.
7. speak up it you want something done. we know everyone is used to smartphone photography (where we say "smile!") so this should be easy in posing your subjects.
8. set a target of the number of really nice photos you want to get out of thousand over shots that you would probably take.

Be a photographer... not just a picture taker.

Good luck!

Last edited:
In addition to what has been given already:
- Know the planned ceremony and all schedules, think ahead (better: discuss with the couple) what shots you must take and where to position yourself
- Think about other possible shots and where to be at this moment (anticipate!)
- Be mentally prepared to 'fight' against other people who hold their handphone high up - right into your frame
- Read up about arranging group shots (there will always be kids hiding and some 1.80m guy in the front row, far to the left). Direct people, loud and clearly.
- Make yourself visible as photographer who has to do a job, might help to get you space between all handphones and other cameras (wear a hat or something else that sticks out)
- Don't forget to get some shots about the decoration - preferable before it gets eaten up or smudged or destroyed
- Don't indulge into technical games, e.g. shallow DoF. It's their show not yours and few people appreciate blurred faces.
- If you need flash and haven't used it before then read up and exercise before. Use your family dinner as test bed.
- Be properly dressed and presentable (you might be captured in other people's shots!), depending on weather and location some spare shirt / pants might come in handy
- Arrive early, check for power plugs, check where you can leave your bag safely.

Last edited:
Anyone knows Anson Chew, I am hoping that he can reply to my query, one day.