wedding photography...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eboon

Sep 7, 2004
CCK
Eh ... hello to my Big kOR KOr and BIg jiE jiE ... i BEliEve I'm very NEwbiE... lol

tO my KOr kOR and JIe JIE, i'm going to my cousin's wedding lor ... the setting is at home and the wedding dinner lor... den hor... i own a EOS 88 with 35-80mm 0.4m/1.3ft len and a borrowed SIGMA 28-200mm f 3.8 - 5.6 lens, my flash in build.

i wanna take good photos and impress people with it of cos... lol :bsmilie:

how can i do that ... without buying better lens and flash ...

like ...

QUESTION

what do i need to remember?... be alert? ... be sharp ...

what about the shutter speed ... aperature... i wanna try out manual ... not those auto one... lol

please give me some adivise thank you

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::BACKGROUND INFORMATION::::::::::::::

this is a first time i thought for taking photo of wedding...
btw i haven't tell them i'm going there to photo

they just invite my ahgong, ah pa, ah bu, and my two brother lah...

but it seem that ... they are not going ... so i the only kid... going ... lol :embrass:

Haha...still in Kor Kor status. Not bad... :D

OK. Thinking of getting good pics without a good flash is day dreaming when it comes to wedding photo shoots. A good off camera flash is essential. Reason being:

1. Enough reach (guide no.). Your in-built camera flash is too weak!

2. Can bounce, so that your subjects won't be exposed to harsh light from the flash.

Your lens is OK.

u need more than juz flash...if it were tt simple i wount have had to change all my lens...

basically wat to do got alot of approach...u take weddings the first time cant really expect to get everything the way u want it to...u need to be fast...really fast..... good DOF control muz also be there....

over time then u will start to develop ya own style in wedding day photos....candid approach...serious approach to photog etc etc....

since it is your first time shooting a wedding WITHOUT telling the couple:

1) get press 800 (set iso to 1250) and tell the lab to push 1 stop when developing.
2) Don't use flash
3) stay out of the main photographer's way.
4) Shoot what excites you on that day.

Post wedding:
1) go through your pictures and learn what you like and don't like about it.
2) ONLY SHOW THE BEST, even if only ONE SHOT IS GOOD to the couple.

Happy shooting!

if u are "backup" then u gotta know wat a backup is supposed to do...

normally the "backup's" photos add the extra touch to the whole series from the main..

Eboon - your Sigma 28-200mm is going to extend when zoom? if yes, your len is going to block the built in flash. REsult is pic with shadow of the len in it.

Virgo - Taking wedding photo without flash is NOT day dreaming. Although not for the beginner to try out, it's surely not impossible. It's just a matter of skill and technique.

Well,

just my share of view basic on what i will do for a wedding..
Definate you need a flash reason being that it impt to do bounce and it uses is almost unlimited when you hav a gd flash
your lens are limited also, if you can borrow a F2.8 Lens from your friend and a mid Zoom and a gd zoom .. Not the 28-200 that you have borrow..

IF not that all fails
be ready to experienment way before the actual day with a roll of file , go for iso 400 film. Experiment with the style that you want to take.. and take note of you cam setting.

then hor.. be fast on the day itself.. but ur equi not that fast hor :sweat:
relax and dun panic .. know your equi so that you know what you can do and what you cannot..

and maybe if you have time and $ go join this http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=93712

i hope this will help

Shoot Tmax 400 without flash.

At the end of the day, everyone will think your pics are good.

lOL wonderFUll

tHANk yOU my Kor kOR and JIE JIE...

i Think i will bE in biG pROblEM...

best is look at other ppl's photos first,,,

in the mean time...simulate ...take some shots under similar conditions...

Snowcrash said:
since it is your first time shooting a wedding WITHOUT telling the couple:

1) get press 800 (set iso to 1250) and tell the lab to push 1 stop when developing.
2) Don't use flash
3) stay out of the main photographer's way.
4) Shoot what excites you on that day.

Post wedding:
1) go through your pictures and learn what you like and don't like about it.
2) ONLY SHOW THE BEST, even if only ONE SHOT IS GOOD to the couple.

Happy shooting!

About press 800 mean what hmm ... iso ... wat is that hmm... you mean the shutter speed...? then wat about the aperature the lab to

push 1 shop when developing ....

eh ... i don't understand well ... please enlightened me ...?

Witness said:
best is look at other ppl's photos first,,,

in the mean time...simulate ...take some shots under similar conditions...

see your photos right ....??? ok lol :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Zerstorer said:
Shoot Tmax 400 without flash.

At the end of the day, everyone will think your pics are good.

u mean the film i need to buy ... Tmax 400... wat brand is that hmm...

bLUR kING

I wouldn't want to start another discussion here. However, I don't think you can shoot without flash during the evening dinner/gathering. In the day? May be in outdoor. Indoor, it depends.

However, with the lens that Eboon carries, I doubt so. Eboon, I'm not looking down on your lens. Just stating the fact and try to assist wherever possible. I've taken some weddings before and I understand how a good flash gun is essential, if not vital, to a good photo shoot.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :embrass:

chelsea said:
Eboon - your Sigma 28-200mm is going to extend when zoom? if yes, your len is going to block the built in flash. REsult is pic with shadow of the len in it.

Virgo - Taking wedding photo without flash is NOT day dreaming. Although not for the beginner to try out, it's surely not impossible. It's just a matter of skill and technique.

T max 400 is kodak BnW film...btw...when i said look at other ppl's photos i never meant mine...lots of great wedding photog ard...imasaint to name a few..

every photog approach to wedding is diff...for me i use 50mm prime without flash only to capture ambient light or certain mood's on BnW film.... these shots are normally of the surroundings ... not so much of the ppl...

otherwise in the house ...during the tea ceremony... depending on space i will whip out a 17-35 or a 28-80 if it allows...and use it with flash

ya sigma will allow u to capture expressions from far and also do the table and tea ceremony shots quite ok...since u are taking on film

it will be best if u can borrow an external flash and learn some boucing techniques etc etc....

y dun u check out either the newbie outing's chit chat or the sentosa outing thread in kopitiam... we go out to shoot every weekend... join in and shoot then when u see ya own photos u will know what went well and wat did not...like tt than u can work on the probs...

juz my 2 cts worth
cheers!!!

Eboon said:
u mean the film i need to buy ... Tmax 400... wat brand is that hmm...

bLUR kING

Kodak Tmax 400.

You are not there as a wedding photographer but as a guest, so nothing is expected of you. With your current gear and level of experience, your chances of getting well exposed, nice looking formal shots are very low. However, those kind of shots are the wedding photographer's job, so there's little point in jostling with him for angles and shooting more of the same.

What you can do is just to get highspeed b&w film and go for candid and adventurous shots that capture the feel of the event. By making your shots different from the main photographer's you will give your relatives an alternate view of the event, perhaps impressing them. Isn't that what you want?:)

Isnt ISO 400 at f5.6 rather unrealistic. He'll probably be shooting 1/8, 1/30 at 200mm... Perhaps the use of ISO 800 film and a faster lens would be in order.

Stoned said:
Isnt ISO 400 at f5.6 rather unrealistic. He'll probably be shooting 1/8, 1/30 at 200mm... Perhaps the use of ISO 800 film and a faster lens would be in order.

He can turn on the flash for the wedding dinner segment. Basically, he shouldn't be using the 28-200mm at 200 if at all. Should just stick to the 35-80 or borrow a 50mm prime.

Eboon said:
About press 800 mean what hmm ... iso ... wat is that hmm... you mean the shutter speed...? then wat about the aperature the lab to

push 1 shop when developing ....

eh ... i don't understand well ... please enlightened me ...?

Buy Fuji Press 800 Film
after loading it into your camera, set your camera iso to 1250.

And when developing the film at the lab, tell them "push one stop".
If you want to know do a search in clubsnap.

Happy shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.