Wedding Photography

zhongjie8569

Mar 31, 2011
Hi,

any advice on the kind of lenses is suitable for wedding photography? Especially on the wedding banquet night itself.
Was thinking prime lenses is a must... currently have a 50mm.
will wide angle 17-40mm be useful here?

zhongjie8569 said:
Hi,

any advice on the kind of lenses is suitable for wedding photography? Especially on the wedding banquet night itself.

I would say that the 17-40 is more useful in this case, for the times where you need group shots with space constraint.

Hi,

What camera are you using? IMO, you will probably need a Wide or UWA on one camera and a tele or portrait on the other if you have 2 cameras. btw, u will also need flash.

if u are using a crop camera, your 50mm will not be enough to take a table shot.

Hi,

a kit lens is good enough to take wedding banquet, just need a flash to go with it.
you can use 50mm, provided you don't have to shoot table shots, or the grand room only layout 10 tables instead of 60, so you can shoot the table shots from far far away.
yes, it can cover many angles.

Hi,

Please do a search for 'wedding photography' here.. you will be amazed how many times your question is asked, exactly in the same way. Read, ponder ..
What makes you think that only a prime lens can do the job? Whether a certain focal length is useful depends on a lot of factors that you should know by a) knowing the location and the space you have; and b) knowing your style and what you want to get (or have to deliver...).

Hi,

If you even need to ask this question, then please do not go an shoot. You will only ruin all the wedding photos for the couple if you are the main or if not the main photographer just be blocking and making it more difficult for the main photog to do the job

Hi,

Lenses suitable for wedding photography will be the ones you like to use when you shoot events and portraits and can do it in a hurry under pressure.

Good luck.

Just bring both. The 17-40mm wil most likely see more action.
Do get and learn to use a flash.

Gd luck ;)

If you are not the main photographer, just bring the camera/lenses that you have and what you are used to. When there is free time, you may approach the main photographer and consult his/her opinions about what suitable camera/lenses to use for different situations.

If you are the main photographer, I would suggest you not to take the job because you sound not ready for the job when you asked such question. Wedding is a once-in-a-life-time event for the couples and they deserve well-taken photos. I hope you won't ruin it just because you want to build your own portfolios. You may ask the couple hire a professional photographer, and you may become the 2nd photographer to shoot along with the professional photographer. I believe it's a faster track to success when you learn from a professional photographer.

I do wonder how many pro photographers are willing to take apprentice. If there is, I would like to offer myself to help and hopefully to learn at the same time.