Wedding Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyAzhar

Apr 24, 2007
Hi all..

I am new in the forum. Just a question..what will be the ideal equipment for a wedding photography??

Currently my equipment will be Nikon D80kit+50mm f/1.8D+SB-600. Are these enough?

Advice much appreciated.

Cheers.:dunno:

Hi all..

I am new in the forum. Just a question..what will be the ideal equipment for a wedding photography??

Currently my equipment will be Nikon D80kit+50mm f/1.8D+SB-600. Are these enough?

Advice much appreciated.

imho, it should be still ok, what u need to add to the lenses that u have is a wide angle lens for the table shoots and the stage(wine toasting). and maybe a 85mm prime to capture those wedding candid.

Hi all..

Advice much appreciated.

I don't think so. The 50 is a great little lens but it would not be wide enough. Usually, such situations are quite crowded with little room, you would have difficulties moving to try to "fit" people into the picture. Most people would go for a range between 18 - 70mm.

I would think a different way. Figure out what vision you have for your wedding photography then acquire equipment to fulfill that vision. I think to do well in today's wedding market, it is important to reject the notion that there is "must have" shots. I tend to find that clients pay more for a unique vision.

Hi all..

Advice much appreciated.

What is your style, what do you want to cover, and how do you plan to shoot it?

With that in mind, you can probably plan your shots (or like what ckuang says, "envision") more easily, taking note of the limitations of your gear.

When it comes to "is my equipment enough?", it really depends on you, and what the couple requires/expects. On certain weddings, I go full shebang, 10-20mm, 16-80mm, 85/1.4, plus flashgun.

On another wedding, I shoot the entire day with one film SLR, 50/1.2 and literally nothing else.

Bobby

Go shoot one wedding, evaluate your weakness and learn from there. Instead of getting one and only set of tip top equipment, be prepared for failed equipment. A backup solution may be wise to have and hence, dont sell your kit lens.

In the past, people cover a wedding with two prime lenses: 35mm and a 50mm on a film body each. Every shot was $ and so every shot counted.

There are people who bring 6 lenses for a wedding shoot. There are also some who bring one lens to cover an entire wedding (ie 18-200). So, ask yourself what you want to achieve.

What is good is not important. What is important is what you want. What I hope is you to go read more at the library.

All the best!

Hi all...thank you very much for all the opinions and advices.I really appreciate it !!!:)

bobby,

my opinion, i've been shooting backup and "extra" photographer for a while, extra as in i brought my dslr for fun or just as a personal picture for friends or fammily on their big day.

im malay, so i shoot malay weddings, what i experience is that you do need something wide angle. im using nikon and i wish i had the 17-50 f2.8 . i use my 28-70 f2.8 but end up using kit lens as i need a wider reach.

a 50mm is good, seriously its good, but to a certain extent. big family shots, you'll miss it. just last weekend, during mmy cousin's wedding, the photographer was using a 17-40L as he needed a wide angle shot, and a 50mm for portrait shot(2 bodies) for "studio" photos .

t boils down to you. for me, i'll make use of my kit lens and flash . its good enough , though kit lens dont look pro :p

you might wanna consider tarmon 17-50mm f2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.