wedding photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

LENS

Apr 8, 2005
Hello guys,

What lens u normally use for wedding photography?
I have only a 50mm F/1.4 lense, and for indoor, normally a flash will be required right?

I would like you to share what you have normally used to cover an event like these.

Thank you.

LENS said:
Hello guys,

I have only a 50mm F/1.4 lense, and for indoor, normally a flash will be required right?

I would like you to share what you have normally used to cover an event like these.

Thank you.

hi lens, i m not an expert either, but i think u need more than a 50mm.

u need a 28-70mm lens to cover your group photos and your portraits and a flash will be a must especially if the indoor lighting is insufficient. :)

LENS said:
Hello guys,

Thank you.

based on 35mm film (without crop factor)
a 24/28mm - 70mm zoom would be enuff
at f5.6 or f8 for more dof
and yes a flash is essential

Vbs 1979, do u mean a wider angle lense that can put more ppl in a frame? ya, i think a wider angle lense will be better. Anyway, i am taking this time as learning opportunity, i told my friend that if he wants to have good album, get professionals. For indoor, i will try to use flash.. or i am thinking using my olympus compact mjuII or my yashica T5.

Well, i have some dilemma, since i am not professional, i asked my friend that can i take photo for his wedding..i think my friend didn't plan to get any photographer, so he said indeed he intend to ask me to take photos for him. As you probably know my friend doesn't ask much, just want some photos to cover that event. Hello guys, have you encountered this kind of situation? it is likely to be a free task, but actually, i have been thinking what if my 2nd, 3rd friend then ask for the same free task? mm....

what? you have similar experience? then tell me what u do..ha.. of course, i am happy if he think the photos nice and will offer $ to buy..ha.

RuthBaby said:
how to cover grp shoot?

stand right behind?

Well, it isn't a must to have a group photos for wedding right? ha.. anyway, have what kind of camera, then try to make full use of it =), i believe a compact camera can do a nice job too..

I would advise you to avoid using anything wider than 28mm as distortion of picture will be very obvious. I have tried 20mm & 24mm... people looked fat/stretched.
For me, I shoot weddings/events with 35mm - 70mm on hand & 28mm - 85mm on my 2nd cam in those 'cramped' situations.
Flash is a must. Apreture & speed varies... depends on available light. textbook way, 1/60 f5.6 but in some cases, background may be dark. I prefer 1/30 f5.6
My 2 cents anyway... hope it helps. :bsmilie:

muka_tikus said:
I would advise you to avoid using anything wider than 28mm as distortion of picture will be very obvious. I have tried 20mm & 24mm... people looked fat/stretched.
For me, I shoot weddings/events with 35mm - 70mm on hand & 28mm - 85mm on my 2nd cam in those 'cramped' situations.
Flash is a must. Apreture & speed varies... depends on available light. textbook way, 1/60 f5.6 but in some cases, background may be dark. I prefer 1/30 f5.6
My 2 cents anyway... hope it helps. :bsmilie:

Hi Muka_tikus -> Mouse face? ha,

Ok, thank you for your suggestion..i got to put on my flash and try some indoor photos.

Can try to use a LOMO-LCA for the actual day wedding photography ?
it work lor .... :lovegrin:
it is have a 32mm with F2.8 wor ....
But, i also use a 35mm for my whole day actual day shooting lor ....

xxxger said:

hey ger,that day my friend say those pics you took for them using your LCA is:thumbsup: .

xxxger said:

Huh?? Are you professional photographer anot?? If not, don't talk irrelevant stuff here lar. Stop acting like a child. Try doing it if you are a professional and needs to make a living out of photography. Don't think you are very smart lar.

Hey! those pro out there! throw away your 1DsMll and D2x because someone here can shoot the whole wedding on a Lomo Ah!

Wake up and make constructive comments!!!

shooter said:
Huh?? Are you professional photographer anot?? If not, don't talk irrelevant stuff here lar. Stop acting like a child. Try doing it if you are a professional and needs to make a living out of photography. Don't think you are very smart lar.

Hey! those pro out there! throw away your 1DsMll and D2x because someone here can shoot the whole wedding on a Lomo Ah!

for your info,it's actually someone who make living out of photography here.
The way i see you shoot off make me think otherwise of your comment.:sweat:

I'm not pro, but just some comments that i noticed when people take wedding photography. I believe the kit len is good enough to cover the whole event. As muka_tikus mention before, try not to go the extreme end of the len.

Well, it isn't a must to have a group photos for wedding right?

Well, i believe taking group photos is one of the important reason why they need a photogrpaher. Of course they will like to know who attend their wedding.

seng44 said:
I'm not pro, but just some comments that i noticed when people take wedding photography. I believe the kit len is good enough to cover the whole event. As muka_tikus mention before, try not to go the extreme end of the len.
What kit glass? Any glass can be used, but it's how well you like the resulting images.

You'll basically need any range from 20mm up (based on 135 format and not DX).

seng44 said:
Well, i believe taking group photos is one of the important reason why they need a photogrpaher. Of course they will like to know who attend their wedding.
Then your friend would have hired one ;)

Then your friend would have hired one ;)

:embrass: Haha.. then he needs to find out from his friend what are his expectation...

shooter said:

Who say LCA (film camera ) cannot produce good photo ?
Sometimes you take pic, sharpen and color is not really that important lor ....

What important is : you able to bring out the MOOD, the FEELING, their JOYs ..... :heart:
I din say those pro using 1DsMll and D2x cannot produce good photo lor .... :bheart:

Btw ..... please open your eyes and see clearly, .... i wrote "i also use a 35mm prime lens (SLR ) " there lor ... :lovegrin:

If you know your camera and know you skill well ... what tools in your hand, will become a most powerful tool lor ... you hear this before " WHITE CAT or BLACK CAT .... AS LONG AS CAN CATCH MOUSE, WILL BE GOOD CAT LOR " haha

I dun know are you belong to those shot 1500 raw photo during the actual wedding day, go back and select 300 photo, edit and crop ... give to the couples 1 month later lor .... but i quite sure pro out there using 1DsMll and D2x dun do this lor ... So i believe that, you are NOT a professional photographer lor .... :kiss:

xxxger said:
Who say LCA (film camera ) cannot produce good photo ?
Sometimes you take pic, sharpen and color is not really that important lor ....

What important is : you able to bring out the MOOD, the FEELING, their JOYs ..... :heart:
I din say those pro using 1DsMll and D2x cannot produce good photo lor .... :bheart:

Btw ..... please open your eyes and see clearly, .... i wrote "i also use a 35mm prime lens (SLR ) " there lor ... :lovegrin:

If you know your camera and know you skill well ... what tools in your hand, will become a most powerful tool lor ... you hear this before " WHITE CAT or BLACK CAT .... AS LONG AS CAN CATCH MOUSE, WILL BE GOOD CAT LOR " haha

Anyway someone once shot wedding shots (not actual photog for the wedding) using a super sampler in this forum. The results were great!

I dun know are you belong to those shot 1500 raw photo during the actual wedding day, go back and select 300 photo, edit and crop ... give to the couples 1 month later lor .... but i quite sure pro out there using 1DsMll and D2x dun do this lor ... So i believe that, you are NOT a professional photographer lor .... :kiss:

agreed. it's not the camera, its the photographer. Even award winning photo journalist David Burnett uses a Holga which shot an award winning pic of Al Gore. FYI: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/essays/vanRiper/010706.htm

If you are famous enough, even a pic from a pin-hole camera will be consider "good".

shooter said:

Erm, I find her comments quite useful actually... and though I don't know her, despite the way she phrases her comments, I somehow think she's a pro.

Back to topic (for LENS):

Group shots are not a "must", but it will depend on the requirement of the couple. If they want group shots for their friends, be it in the event of banquet, party or ROM, then wide-angle would be useful. In fact, I would prefer the use of 17-40 on a 1.6 crop, followed by 24/28-70, or a prime for candid shots. But that's me, an amateur shooting for hobby.

nostagia said:
If you are famous enough, even a pic from a pin-hole camera will be consider "good".

Some people have the concept that they can turn water into wine, turn stone into gold with a powerful camera, its just like some PC hardware chasers I know. haha get the new 5D, maybe u can turn ru hua into lin zhi lin, use 1DSMKII can turn Ru hua into taiwan next top model. keke

Status
Not open for further replies.