Wedding Photography.. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephanielee

Dec 20, 2004
Singapore
stephanielee.smugmug.com
Hi everyone!

I need some help. I'll be taking some pictures for my cousin's wedding this Saturday. I won't be the official photographer but I would just like to know if anyone would be so kind as to pass on some tips and tricks (especially things to look out for when taking wedding pictures.. flash? exposure?) for weddings. It's going to take place in a glass chapel in Bali around sunset 4-6 and I guess I have enough equipment. So can someone help me please. :angel:

shutter speed try to get 1/60 or above so no blur photo, up more if use tele, try iso until got aperture around 5.6 to have good bokeh.

Find out the shot list, timing, event of the wedding so u wont be blur blur and drag around. Plan out the shot like bridge w family, w best man, what time bridge arrive, vow, exchange ring walk down the aisle, candid shot , then formal shoot.

Pushy a bit but be respectful.

Since have the main photographer, u can be the stealth type and take candid moment, unaware which i think sometimes the best

Have fun

2 body , one wide, one tele also help a lot

Since you are free from the pressures of the main photographer, I think the best thing is to think less and shoot more. Experiment with all sorts of new and funky angles. DON'T GO WHERE THE MAIN PHOTOGRAPHER GOES. What he shoots, you shoot something else. Where he goes, you choose a different place. Then you can get differing viewpoints that the couple will appreciate.

(No flash is the best. I'd imagine the atmosphere of Bali would be beautiful, and flash might destroy it, unless you can do some slow-sync/fill flash).

Really, above all, have fun!

Also, keep out of the main photographer's way in case u make him lose shots. Try not to be caught in his photos as well.

As 2nd photographer, you will have more leeway to play with available light photography. 50mm f1.4/1.8 or 85 f1.8/1.2 will be fun to use for the shallow DOF natural light shots.

shoot with tele lens and cover angles that the main photographers are not doing. too many posed shots can be boring. go for the pictures that tell a story about the wedding day. it can be the teddy bears on the bridal car, the oranges, bride's high heels, the smiles, the dog or cat, the laughters, the tears streaking down the face, the back view of the jie mei when they are asking for angpau at the gate, etc.

If you are rich, invest in a good lens. But i feel spending $3k for a 85 f1.2 is kinda overkill to get a feel of wedding. Shoot with whatever you have and try different settings to learn o the spot.

But pls dont post in CS for TFCD wedding tag along.. hahaha... You will be famous overnight.

I am a newbie, too, btw.

How did the shoot go?

Status
Not open for further replies.