Not open for further replies.

yumyum

Aug 18, 2005
Singapore
www.yummibear.multiply.com
having some doubts for being a backup wedding photographer
1. when should I use the bounce crd on my flash
2. when should I use the diffuser on my flash

during the tea ceremony and the dinner at the resturant when light is not favourable?

and using of flash , should there be any tilt angle ?
or the flash bulb pointed straight or at the couple ?

----
D50 + SB800+ 18-55mm + f1.8/50mm

yumyum said:
having some doubts for being a backup wedding photographer
1. when should I use the bounce crd on my flash
2. when should I use the diffuser on my flash

during the tea ceremony and the dinner at the resturant when light is not favourable?

and using of flash , should there be any tilt angle ?
or the flash bulb pointed straight or at the couple ?

----
D50 + SB800+ 18-55mm + f1.8/50mm
What diffuser are you refering? omnibounce?

anyway, you can use bounce card or omnibounce thru out the whole wedding except for outdoor, to make your life easier.

as for bounce card, you should tilt at 60[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]° , for omnibounce is 45[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]°, use direct flash when the flash is not powerful enough.

btw, agreed with [/FONT]zhang3feng, you should concern more about the photo be able to come out than what setting to use.

catchlights said:
What diffuser are you refering? omnibounce?

anyway, you can use bounce card or omnibounce thru out the whole wedding except for outdoor, to make your life easier.

as for bounce card, you should tilt at 60[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]° , for omnibounce is 45[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]°, use direct flash when the flash is not powerful enough.

btw, agreed with [/FONT]zhang3feng, you should concern more about the photo be able to come out than what setting to use.

guess the white cap is the omnibouce ...
actually i care the settings cos i dun wann miss the moments, cos i am just a newbie.
thanks you ppl

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]What I mean is you should know your camera and flash well, can even operate it without thinking, just like driving car, don't have to think when to engage gear or release clutch. But if you can't, just stick to something that you are familiar with.[/FONT]

Indoors such as tea ceremony should just point straight at the ceiling and bounce using ceiling. SB800 is certainly powerful enough. sometimes if your angle is too forward the flashlight will come out very harsh and overexposed, esp when most of the time ur distance to the couple will be very close.

textbook answers wont work.
best is have a more senior/experienced photog with you during your shoots and when you find that ur photos turn out bad, learning starts...

didnt mean to be harsh, but always have a learning attitude. =)
good luck!

yumyum said:
guess the white cap is the omnibouce ...
actually i care the settings cos i dun wann miss the moments, cos i am just a newbie.
thanks you ppl

Just a point you may want to note, as you're the back up photographer, do have a chat with the main photographer first, remember that he needs to get the shot first. If the main photographer is the one who ask you to tag along, ask him/her for advise.

Clown said:
textbook answers wont work.
best is have a more senior/experienced photog with you during your shoots and when you find that ur photos turn out bad, learning starts...

No books can teach the skills required for such an important event.
I had my trainees to do exactly what I do during the shoot, processed the film and go through with him all the shots that may have gone wrong. But before the actual day assignment I took at least 2 hours to brief him on what are the things expected of him during the assignment.

Now when shooting with dSLRs we only can review the shots after the assignment and not during the shoot.

1. Thorough briefing of the actual day assignment.

2. Physcial preparation - enough sleep, proper attire, hairstyles to adopt including socks and type of shoes to wear.

3. Checking of his equipment including batteries the night before the shoot.

4. Assistant camera kit he has to bring - include masking tapes, penknives, screwdriver, pain relief pills, marker pen etc

5. Personal body language he has to adopt during the assignment.

6. Mounting of flash unit on the camera, bounced technique and methods to adopt and all precautions in case of equipment failure.

-----------------------------
:heart: -
The ultimate way for those who
want to learn is to seek a real sincere guru
who are willing to pass down his skills to you....

dear forward

3. Checking of his equipment including batteries the night before the shoot

how many batteries is enough for one whole day event from morning till the end of the dinner at night ???

Thanks

----------------------------

D50 + 50mm/f1.8 + 3 batteries + 18-55mm/f3.5 + SB800 + 70-300 mm

yumyum said:
dear forward

3. Checking of his equipment including batteries the night before the shoot

how many batteries is enough for one whole day event from morning till the end of the dinner at night ???

Thanks

----------------------------

D50 + 50mm/f1.8 + 3 batteries + 18-55mm/f3.5 + SB800 + 70-300 mm

Fully charged all your three batteries for the D50 the night before the assignment. As for your SB800 you have to let me know whether you are using rechargable or akaline batteries.

The guideline for batteries especially for SB800 or any other unit is to bring at least two times of what you need for the day.

Normally for akaline batteries you will need at least three sets and know how to use your flash unit efficiently. According to my experience I would bring another six sets in case of unforeseen circumstances. (It is too late if you have to tell the couple you are going down to get new batteries)

As for rechargeable, use the best money can buy and use the best quality charger to charge your batteries. Bring at least 8 sets for the entire day. I used to have ten sets of rechargeable batteries for the actural wedding day assignment and have two reliable chargers to recharge them for the next assignment. Hope this helps. :angel:

forward said:
Fully charged all your three batteries for the D50 the night before the assignment. As for your SB800 you have to let me know whether you are using rechargable or akaline batteries.

The guideline for batteries especially for SB800 or any other unit is to bring at least two times of what you need for the day.

Normally for akaline batteries you will need at least three sets and know how to use your flash unit efficiently. According to my experience I would bring another six sets in case of unforeseen circumstances. (It is too late if you have to tell the couple you are going down to get new batteries)

As for rechargeable, use the best money can buy and use the best quality charger to charge your batteries. Bring at least 8 sets for the entire day. I used to have ten sets of rechargeable batteries for the actural wedding day assignment and have two reliable chargers to recharge them for the next assignment. Hope this helps. :angel:
eh bro.. people is starting out only leh..

Clown said:
eh bro.. people is starting out only leh..

Do not misguide a beginner who wants to learn. Encourage and guide him or her to the truth about effective and noble professional photography.

Who knows today he is only starting out, but within a year, he can do better than some of those so call 'part-time pros' out there? I have been teaching wedding photography since 1989 and this has been a proven method that I have used to produce outstadnding wedding photographers.

----------------------------------
:heart:
"Limitless like the ocean are your excellent qualities."

-- Dalai Lama

forward: i using alkaline batteries for sb800, will buy more for the event
clown : it;s ok for forward to tell me off , cos i dun wann to miss the moments

actually i have thought of buying the 4th oem battery for my DSLR.

what do u guys think ??

yumyum said:
forward: i using alkaline batteries for sb800, will buy more for the event
clown : it;s ok for forward to tell me off , cos i dun wann to miss the moments

actually i have thought of buying the 4th oem battery for my DSLR.

what do u guys think ??

If you have financial freedom, why not? You will need the extra OEM when you are travelling or when you can give friends a helping hand when their batteries are all flat. Appreciate that you catch my point.
Do not look down on yourself just because you are a beginner and only doing just backup on that day. Who knows the official photographer on that day may be surprised at how well you are equipped than he is. :bsmilie:

yes i understand the part about having good backup and proper preparations.
what i meant was.. nvm.. =)

forward said:
If you have financial freedom, why not? You will need the extra OEM when you are travelling or when you can give friends a helping hand when their batteries are all flat. Appreciate that you catch my point.
Do not look down on yourself just because you are a beginner and only doing just backup on that day. Who knows the official photographer on that day may be surprised at how well you are equipped than he is. :bsmilie:

well u r right to the point, and beside $35 for oem battery compare to the whole day event, well i guess which is more important then.. and i dun wann miss the special moments just because of the batteries

Clown said:
yes i understand the part about having good backup and proper preparations.
what i meant was.. nvm.. =)

What is..nvm..=) ?
You were once a beginner before.
Can you remember how hard you have gone through
to be where you are today? All the time searching for
answers but ........seldom get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.