Wedding photographer


Status
Not open for further replies.

Clown

Moderator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2003
3,779
1
38
Singapore
#23
by trial and error, mistakes and learning the importance of certain things and the reason behind.
i was trying to say that experience is still the better teacher.
 

#24
yumyum said:
http://gallery.clubsnap.com/showphoto.php/photo/48606/cat/500

what do u think of this photo? and btw how to paste the picture instead of pasting a link here?
Like this?



There is a ubb code at the bottom of the webpage, just copy that and paste onto thread. to show image, link must point to file and not website
 

destiny_star

Senior Member
Apr 12, 2004
549
0
16
#25
another point to take note.. learning how to shoot proper on the wedding day is one thing.. u'll oso need to attain certain knowledge on PS to post-process as well.. :)
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,942
0
36
#26
destiny_star said:
another point to take note.. learning how to shoot proper on the wedding day is one thing.. u'll oso need to attain certain knowledge on PS to post-process as well.. :)
If you shoot well enough, you don't need to post process. :)
 

forward

New Member
May 27, 2002
390
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
#27
destiny_star said:
another point to take note.. learning how to shoot proper on the wedding day is one thing.. u'll oso need to attain certain knowledge on PS to post-process as well.. :)
Shot my first wedding using a 35mm range-finder camera using flash-cubes which were attached to a fan like type of holder in 1968 for a colleague. During those days I only used two rolls of 135-20 exposures film and had to carry with me at least 20 flash cubes in the camera bag.

After each exposure I had to use a piece of cloth to remove the used flash cube with a new one (the flash cube was hot). After the wedding the films were sent to Kodak in Alexandra Road for processing and printing into 2R size (this is the regular size then during the 1960's)

Each print was in glossy surface and was protected with a piece of wax paper and kept safely in the famous yellow Kodak envelope to be returned to the customer. I still have a copy of a 1960's 2R size print made by Kodak with me.

Digital comes in during the late 1990's and did my first digital wedding in 2001. However during the past 30 years I did no post processing to any of my wedding pictures.

-----------------------------------------
Today I still adopt the same principle:
Shoot accurately, compose well and press the shutter buttom at the right time with enough speed to give the couples the joy that they will treasure for the rest of their lives. :)
 

pokiemon

Senior Member
Mar 5, 2005
2,039
0
0
#28
hey yum,

i personally think the setting of your camera is more important than whether you are using bounce or which angle it is set. it took me a while to realise AV doesn't work best with canon flash.
 

~Arcanic~

Senior Member
Feb 27, 2005
2,671
0
0
Westy
#29
yumyum said:
do i need to charge over night for the new oem batteries or just just till the indicator lights up ?
i can;t really recall... but i think the 1st charge is about 8-10 hrs..

please correct me if i'm wrong.. :)
 

~Arcanic~

Senior Member
Feb 27, 2005
2,671
0
0
Westy
#30
yumyum said:
http://gallery.clubsnap.com/showphoto.php/photo/48606/cat/500

what do u think of this photo? and btw how to paste the picture instead of pasting a link here?
oh ya, from my pov, this pic seems to be suffering from abit of handshake..

and watch the background too, the lightbulb behind her head looks weird..
 

blimmer

New Member
Apr 1, 2005
306
0
0
#31
forward said:
What is..nvm..=) ?
You were once a beginner before.
Can you remember how hard you have gone through
to be where you are today? All the time searching for
answers but ........seldom get it.
what i believe clown meant was not to overwhelm yumyum
it can be pretty daunting to bombard a newbie with all the proper procedures but the truth is some mistakes dont hurt. one learns alot better from making the mistakes and knowing when not to make the same mistake again rather than listing out the s.o.p and expect someone to remember all the steps while busy shooting

i'm in no position to comment much since i've never done wedding photography, you're the expert here. no offence intended.

cheers
 

blimmer

New Member
Apr 1, 2005
306
0
0
#32
Clown said:
by trial and error, mistakes and learning the importance of certain things and the reason behind.
i was trying to say that experience is still the better teacher.
missed your post, but i guess we're on the same wavelength
 

forward

New Member
May 27, 2002
390
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
#33
yumyum said:
do i need to charge over night for the new oem batteries or just just till the indicator lights up ?
Most manufacturers recommend 8 to 10hrs charging when using the OEM battery for the first time. There are chargers and batteries where clear instructions say that 15-18 hrs are required for the first time. Charging time will depend on the type of charger you used. Follow recommendation specified by manufacturer. I supposed charging for an hour or two more than the required time won't harm the battery. Use a timer if you really want to prolong your battery life. Never overcharged your battery for more than 8 hours as this will greatly shorterned the life of the battery.

Also do not flatten the battery before charging as the myth about memory effect is great. I just recharge the battery until the indicator lights up. This way you can use the battery for at least 2 years.
 

xxxger

Deregistered
Feb 10, 2005
610
0
0
Wild wild west
#34
Actually what is the meaning of " Be a Back up wedding photographer " huh ?
Is it mean when the actual photog cannot turn up, then the back up one will 上场?
or both show up together, and standing side to side, taking the same thing ? See and learn on the spot? Btw, do back up/standby photographer are paid ?

If have paid, .... i also dun mind to be the back up photographer too. :heart: But i dun take tea ceremory and table to table one wor ... :lovegrin:
 

destiny_star

Senior Member
Apr 12, 2004
549
0
16
#37
forward said:
Shot my first wedding using a 35mm range-finder camera using flash-cubes which were attached to a fan like type of holder in 1968 for a colleague. During those days I only used two rolls of 135-20 exposures film and had to carry with me at least 20 flash cubes in the camera bag.

After each exposure I had to use a piece of cloth to remove the used flash cube with a new one (the flash cube was hot). After the wedding the films were sent to Kodak in Alexandra Road for processing and printing into 2R size (this is the regular size then during the 1960's)

Each print was in glossy surface and was protected with a piece of wax paper and kept safely in the famous yellow Kodak envelope to be returned to the customer. I still have a copy of a 1960's 2R size print made by Kodak with me.

Digital comes in during the late 1990's and did my first digital wedding in 2001. However during the past 30 years I did no post processing to any of my wedding pictures.

-----------------------------------------
Today I still adopt the same principle:
Shoot accurately, compose well and press the shutter buttom at the right time with enough speed to give the couples the joy that they will treasure for the rest of their lives. :)
I respect ur technical handling and knowledge since u've been into photography for many yrs. But in this digital era, saying that if u dun need to post process it's really abit doubtful. Even the slightest form of post-processing say for instance sharpening using USM or tweaking the colour to reduce colour cast in photoshop would oso be considered as post-processing.

I do agree that it's not 100% impossible to get the correct exposure or WB during the shoot. But i'm offering my opinions in context with the thread starter as he's still new to shooting wedding. It's good that u did not in the many yrs of shooting post-process ur photos but how many of the photographers have actually reach ur level? probably only a handful so far.. I for myself oso practice to try to capture shots as correctly as i could on the 1st attempt, but it doesn't always work.. It comes with lotsa experience and practices.

On top of that being a wedding photographer also requires alot of other factors/skills, not only on the technical aspects. There're much more to learn being one..
 

Nov 12, 2004
168
0
0
Sembawang
#38
Clown said:
yes i understand the part about having good backup and proper preparations.
what i meant was.. nvm.. =)
I'm sure he meant that the sheer amt of equipment (batteries) as backup seems a bit too excessive esp when he's not a pro and investing a substantial amt of money into getting them when he doesn't really need them is not very wise. There's no doubt that as a professional you should come as prepared as you probably can but the same cannot be said equipment wise for a relative newcomer who's just starting out.
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,942
0
36
#40
yumyum said:
hey guys , a qtn to ask.. what ISO should I use for wedding banquet at nite , with sb800 ON . and Aperture mode ? with 18-55mm kit lens
As low as you can go because a cleaner (less noisy) picture is preferred. You would be barely 2m away from the table, so the flash should be powerful enough. You can use A or P but A would be preferred and you can fix the aperture at f/5.6.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom