Wedding photo shooting, can ask a friend to tag along??

ragnarok95

Mar 8, 2006
Sorry if this is posted at the wrong section...

My friend is asking me to tag along in their wedding photo shooting next month to take extra photos and film some moments down.. May I know is this allow??! Shop is Thomson bridal... Do they allow another extra person to take photos??

ragnarok95 said:
Sorry if this is posted at the wrong section...

My friend is asking me to tag along in their wedding photo shooting next month to take extra photos and film some moments down.. May I know is this allow??! Shop is Thomson bridal... Do they allow another extra person to take photos??

Extremely doubtful.

If u use your phone cam for the odd shot.....maybe

usually studios will not allow anyone shooting in their premises other than their own photographers, and same rule apply to their outdoor sessions.
it will hinder the flow of the photo session.
some will say they don't want their trade secrets to leak out.

Actually I am curious about this too.

My brother (real biological bro) is getting married soon and I am wondering if I can tag along with a DSLR for their outdoor photo shoots...that is, I shoot mine, the photographer shoot his and maintain zero communication with him . Won't bother/disturb him with anything unless he is friendly and wants to talk to me.

You will be interrupting them when they work. Why not you have separate outdoor sessions with your friend?

Actually I am curious about this too.

My brother (real biological bro) is getting married soon and I am wondering if I can tag along with a DSLR for their outdoor photo shoots...that is, I shoot mine, the photographer shoot his and maintain zero communication with him . Won't bother/disturb him with anything unless he is friendly and wants to talk to me.

The fact you are there with a camera is interruption enough and bothering the workflow. Why? The bride and groom will see that you are shooting and will glance your way to give you a look or two sometimes, and a smile or two sometimes. Guess what? Some shots by the working photographer will capture the couple looking elsewhere and not at the camera. Then either the photographer will miss it, or if he/she catches it, will ask the couple to pose again and reshoot. Waste time, and the second time round, the expression may be different, etc... It is the same if you follow the wedding photographer around shooting behind him on the actual day wedding. Eyes will be off in different direction. In the end, if the work is no good, who will the couple blame? Not you of course, but the people they pay money to.

You can go if you want. but leave your camera in the car or at home. Once in a while shoot with your phone. Help out with bags, carry water and barang barang. That will the best and let the professionals work in peace.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!!

My friend idea was, while they are having break or so, i can take a few shots... also during the make up, i can use cam recorder to help to record the process...think they need it for a video or something like that...

I do agree with u guys...if the main photographer is taking photos and i also take, their eyes contacts is lost... this is really a problem and the main photographer will be quite piss off..

How abt during the break???

Or should i just ask the bridal shop directly???

In studio better not do anything at all. Outdoor session even if you want to use mobile phone to take snap shots ask the photographer beforehand as a form of courtesy and respect. If some form of friendly communication exists between you and the photographer then it might increase a chance for him to let you take a few shots.

Thanks guys!!

My friend idea was, while they are having break or so, i can take a few shots... also during the make up, i can use cam recorder to help to record the process...think they need it for a video or something like that...

I do agree with u guys...if the main photographer is taking photos and i also take, their eyes contacts is lost... this is really a problem and the main photographer will be quite piss off..

How abt during the break???

Or should i just ask the bridal shop directly???

You can try asking. But I am very sure most bridal shops have it written down in the contract that prohibits this. Just ask them to read the papers they signed when they signed up for the package.

I've done pre-wedding shoots before, and I can tell you time is very very tight. There will not be much time for breaks, and the MUA have to rush through makeups and hairdos and time is really tight. How would you feel if you are trying to work against the clock, then have someone walking around in circles shooting and all?

Last edited:
My clients would be pre-briefed and understand the rational so this does not happen. Most of the time it's not the couple who want the friend to shoot but it's often the friend who really want to do it. I need the couple's full attention, 100%, no distraction, to get into the rapport with me, get into the good feelings about themselves and create good pictures. It's not going to happen when there is someone else.
Shoot DISCREETLY one or two shots with handphones I don't mind, or even those powerful Sony NEX or canon g11 or fuji x100, send me a behind the scene shot of me in action I happy. But engaging the couple you will be stepping into my space.

My face will still be so friendly that you can't tell becoz I need to but deep inside I know the couple and me could had done much bbetter. It's their loss if this happen.

Hmmm... depends de. i also ask my frd who is a professional photographer to take pics of us even when I alrdy got a main shooter during wedding dinner. more candie shots.

if you ask, most probably they will say no. behind the scenes might be okay for some photographers / studios.

may i suggest two alternatives:

1. after the shoot, after leaving the bridal studio (and returning the suits/gowns). bride-to-be's make-up is still on, so its possible to do a few poses (I did this for my own wedding). just make sure the couple brings a nice matching set of outfits.

2. on actual day, after the morning session and the photographer has gone back. or during / just after make-up session prior to the wedding dinner (I did this too for my wedding). by this time, the couple would have learned some basics on how to pose (from the pre-wedding shoot). they would also have all the suits/dresses/gowns from the bridal studio with them by then. note that if bride and groom are tired and need a rest, then this may not be the best option, or you can keep the session to just 5 mins.

Last edited:
Oh.. mine is just the wedding shoot one day...wedding dinner that i wont cover... haha...

The reason why they need its they need someone to take photos/video of their wedding shooting for their montage... and i wont be snapping away happily... i will just take a few shots and some short videos thats all...

Going to ask the bridal shop if this is allow... im fine if it doesnt since im just helping out.. haha

Thanks guys for your advises!!

This is an interesting topic..I too have the same request..I'm helping my friends document their wedding preparation journey and this wedding shoot is the tricky part..I do not want to disturb anybody when the photographer is shooting whilst the couple poses..and i'm not there to steal his trade secrets becos I'm just a amateur shooter with no view of wanting to get paid for any of my work..mostly is like the make-up prep..the journey between places..meals..candid shots just to show the hectic schedule for the day..that's all..would it be allowed? If the couple requests..can the photographer say no?

For my own wedding shoot my friend came along and shot candid shots for me and I'm glad she did because those photos are memories of the hassle and craziness yet fun day of photoshoot..that's the main thing here..

The bride and groom will see that you are shooting and will glance your way to give you a look or two sometimes, and a smile or two sometimes. Guess what? Some shots by the working photographer will capture the couple looking elsewhere and not at the camera. Then either the photographer will miss it, or if he/she catches it, will ask the couple to pose again and reshoot. Waste time, and the second time round, the expression may be different, etc... It is the same if you follow the wedding photographer around shooting behind him on the actual day wedding. Eyes will be off in different direction. In the end, if the work is no good, who will the couple blame? Not you of course, but the people they pay money to.

Good point here. Yes, I have seen pics looking really terrible with people look at different directions before.

Like some other had mentioned, I think I will have to ask for permission to take behind the scenes candid shots.

Ok...done with it. Bridal shop is OK with a extra photographer, as long as NO studio shoots. Any where outside studio is fine, eg, make up area.

When doing outside shots, the photographer himself is very friendly and he allow me to take extra shots after he took his.

Overall, it's a very nice learning process!!!! :)