Wedding PGs : Travelling to JB for AD issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 3, 2004
Hi,

Have a request to travel to JB as a requirement for AD shoot.

Schedule as follows.
1. Report at groom's hse
2. Travel in convoy to JB, passing customs
3. Sabo at Bride's JB hse
4. Come back to SG, proceed to groom
5. Normal banquet reception at nite

Question : Wondering if any issues you guys have met before. Like problem with Malaysian customs due to big "electronic" equipment, being your cameras and lenses (ie scared you bring in to sell etc). Cars will be decked in usual wedding decorative fare. Minum kopi by the customs required? Heard horror stories but cannot confirm validity.

Cheers.

I have done weddings in JB and KL and have travelled by car. There has been no problems from the custom officers.

Never had a problem before, just make sure the authorities on the Malaysian side stamp your passport when you are coming back into Singapore.

Have done it many times before, with the bridal car ( follow the groom ) and in a normal car ( either in a taxi booked by the bride or with her friends going in early in the morning ). So long as you have your traval docs with you and it's at least 6 mths valid, should not be a problem.

Make sure your passport is chopped...

Read from newspaper about the crime rates....so maybe dun go toilet alone

Do you need to buy travel insurance for your equipments??

never hav this experience before. but can I hitch this thread to ask if anyone hav to go to the bride's house in M'sia by yourself first to take the bride's makeup? how do you get there by public transport? taxis there will bring you merry-go-round or not?

never hav this experience before. but can I hitch this thread to ask if anyone hav to go to the bride's house in M'sia by yourself first to take the bride's makeup? how do you get there by public transport? taxis there will bring you merry-go-round or not?

Taxis there go by per head per trip. Very rare that they will charge you by meter reading. Which part of Msia are you referring to?

Taxis there go by per head per trip. Very rare that they will charge you by meter reading. Which part of Msia are you referring to?

thanks.

JB. never tried to take cabs there.

Ok, so it's cool! Thanks!

Actually come to think of it, I have been there once before with my lowepro backpack, but i was taking a coach in and coming out by cab. But only 1 cam then.

Do you need to buy travel insurance for your equipments??

it's really up to you. buying a policy gives you peace of mind.

i tried getting a policy to cover the travel as well as equipment but was turned down.

had to use the regular travel insurance and its provisions.

the taxi won't bring you merry go round as they would have agreed a fixed off-the-meter price with you already.

only worry is he hive your equipment if you meet wrong kind. don't carry your stuff in recognized camera brand bags.

request for one of the bride's relative or friend to pick you up at the hotel you are staying. and get their vehicle number for added safety.

Hi,

Schedule as follows.
1. Report at groom's hse

Question : Wondering if any issues you guys have met before. Like problem with Malaysian customs due to big "electronic" equipment, being your cameras and lenses (ie scared you bring in to sell etc). Cars will be decked in usual wedding decorative fare. Minum kopi by the customs required? Heard horror stories but cannot confirm validity.

Cheers.

wah brudder. it's going to be a very long long day for you.

arrange with your client if need to drink kopi, your client do the treating. at least the understanding is there.

Hi,

Schedule as follows.
1. Report at groom's hse

Cheers.

nothing, just keep your camera with you, custom check just tell them its wedding photography (note, sit in a car with ribbons, and normally u will be safe)

i've it before for my cousin...followed my cousin's car in w/o any problems at all ...

that was 3 years ago

There are a few ways to get this done:

1) Get the bride to arrange with one of her "sisters" who's going into JB early in the morning from SG, to meet you somewhere so that you can hitch a ride from her.

2) Ask the bride to make arrangement for someone to pick you up from Woodlands checkpoint.

3) Make your own way to JB checkpoint and ask the bride to arrange for someone to pick you up from there.

4) Ask the bride to arrange for a "private taxi" to pick you up from your place and sent you to her place.

5) Arrange for a SG Comfort (NTUC) cab ( some of them have permit to go to JB's taxi terminal ) to sent you to JB's Taxi Terminal and someone to pick you up from there.

6) Go into JB with the groom but that will means that you'll miss a lot of shot of the bride's make up process, the sister's prepareing the gate crush's "gift", parents's covering of the vale, etc...

Expect option 6), I've done all of the above before. I would not encourage getting a taxi on your own in JB. There are already a few cases of passangers being robbed/taken for a ride than demanding more money by the taxi driver as told to me by my Malaysian friends/wedding couples. You will also be a juicy target for snatch thief with your gears walking around looking and nego. the price for a taxi.

One thing to remember is to always tell the coustom officer, if you're asked, that you're shooting YOUR FRIEND'S WEDDING else you may be detained for trying to work there without a work permit. This have happened to another photographer I know. In the end he was refused entry because he refused and dare not to pay the "required fine" ;p

Hope this helps

Expect option 6), I've done all of the above before. I would not encourage getting a taxi on your own in JB. There are already a few cases of passangers being robbed/taken for a ride than demanding more money by the taxi driver as told to me by my Malaysian friends/wedding couples. You will also be a juicy target for snatch thief with your gears walking around looking and nego. the price for a taxi.

One thing to remember is to always tell the coustom officer, if you're asked, that you're shooting YOUR FRIEND'S WEDDING else you may be detained for trying to work there without a work permit. This have happened to another photographer I know. In the end he was refused entry because he refused and dare not to pay the "required fine" ;p

Hope this helps

these are really valuable advices.

thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.