Wedding for newbie again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweat100

Jul 7, 2002
Singapore
sweat100.multiply.com
Recently i got a assignment from my teacher. Guess what? shoot for her wedding photos? and it is next tuesday! :what:
Totally shocked, cos this is my first time trying. Like gremlin that time, but i was impressed with the pics taken.
My assignment is to shoot pics of the day (eg, hair combing, tea ceremony, the groom fetching the bride... so on) Currently using a F707 with external flash. And i have to complete a 10min power point presentation to show to the guest by night. So need to ask some opinions on what type of shots (candid, standard, artistic) inorder that it is suitable for the powerpoint presentation? Stressed! :cry:

Think on that day will also be using a FM2 to shoot some black and white. Lens is Sigma EX Pro 28-80mm F2.8 I think the venue most likely will be indoor(the house). Should i use TCN 400 (convenience) or use Tmax 400(for true B&W)? Or should i use even higher speed films (eg 800 or 1600) to capture ambient light alone. Will the grains "kill" the beauty of the bride with "pimples"? :dunno:

Do u people have any sites i can go to for reference (eg photos or skills) or jus give me pointers. Thanks!
:)

sweat100 said:
Recently i got a assignment from my teacher. Guess what? shoot for her wedding photos? and it is next tuesday! :what:
Totally shocked, cos this is my first time trying. Like gremlin that time, but i was impressed with the pics taken.
My assignment is to shoot pics of the day (eg, hair combing, tea ceremony, the groom fetching the bride... so on) Currently using a F707 with external flash. And i have to complete a 10min power point presentation to show to the guest by night. So need to ask some opinions on what type of shots (candid, standard, artistic) inorder that it is suitable for the powerpoint presentation? Stressed! :cry:

Think on that day will also be using a FM2 to shoot some black and white. Lens is Sigma EX Pro 28-80mm F2.8 I think the venue most likely will be indoor(the house). Should i use TCN 400 (convenience) or use Tmax 400(for true B&W)? Or should i use even higher speed films (eg 800 or 1600) to capture ambient light alone. Will the grains "kill" the beauty of the bride with "pimples"? :dunno:

Do u people have any sites i can go to for reference (eg photos or skills) or jus give me pointers. Thanks!

Not to frighten you, but what would happed if you screw up the wedding (not doubting your skill, but the fact is you do not have any experience in this area!)

Are your sure you going to use FM2 to shoot! Maybe you are fast, but let me warn you, in wedding event, things do happen fast!!! You might need a fast AF camera or at least a fast AF len.

As for using digital camera to capture images, I might be new in this area (used to shoot film), but nevertheless let me tell you that, time will be required for post processing of images. Do you have time for that? (You need to know the schedule for whole day and do a careful planning and make sure you have the adequte time for it! Don't over-tired yourself because you still need to shoot for the evening wedding dinner!)

As for what B/W film to use, it all depend on personnal preference! Most films when put in good use will achieve excellent results.

Click here to some wedding photo links

Good luck! ;)

:confused: for me I will use at least a iso400 but most shots in iso800 on my dlsr. a fast usm AF lens with external flash and not to forget bounce it. presentation will be nice if includes photos of them when they are still baby to adolescents, teens, dating, going to tours, proposal, marriage. include shots of macro of wedding rings, venue of wedding place. wedding certificate, closeups of hands, flowers, guest book, invitation cards, comb, candles, wedding cars etc etc. i prefer not to have candid, protrait photos for presentations...... :heart:

all the best for the coming shoot

got a assignment from my teacher
what would happed if you screw up the wedding
my advice is to voice any of your concerns to her before the day. if she is willing to trust you, then go ahead & do your very best.

complete a 10min power point presentation to show to the guest by night.... what type of shots (candid, standard, artistic) inorder that it is suitable
time will be required for post processing of images. Do you have time for that?
that's a real issue. a 10-min powerpoint show is quite long, 600 seconds... at 6s per pic (incl transitions) that's 100 good pics. at 3s, that's 200. i think you need to shoot many many (=hundreds) of varied photos of all the types you mentioned, then perhaps get a friend to help you edit a selection for the ppt. maybe a 5-min show is enough?

venue most likely will be indoor.... should i use even higher speed films (eg 800 or 1600) to capture ambient light alone. Will the grains "kill" the beauty of the bride with "pimples"?
Are your sure you going to use FM2 to shoot! Maybe you are fast, but let me warn you, in wedding event, things do happen fast!!!
don't worry too much about the FM2. i've covered weddings with FM/FM2 before. as long as the light indoors doesn't fluctuate too much, you won't have to adjust the metering much. just keep checking now and then. focus, framing and timing are more impt.

you can discuss the film effect with the couple. if they don't mind grainy, then use a higher speed by all means. some people may like grain, some hate it. but some indoor shots are not possible with ISO400 without flash. if you have 2 flashes that may be ok, otherwise it's rather slow to keep using 1 flash with 2 cameras.

also, what about just using one camera and converting some of your dig shots to B/W? it may simplify your camerawork and you won't have to worry about the FM2. just bring it along for a backup.

Wow... thanks for all the replies and tips
Actually i told her i dont want to be that main photographer, ask her to hire a pro, but she said she wants a simple wedding (i suppose she does not wants to spend too much to hire a pro?), and most likely i will do it on a voulntarily basis. Not a easy job for me though(dont know why she trust me). :cry:

I think most likely i will shoot on digital as the main one since my main focus is the powerpoint. Maybe the FM2 is jus some backup or addon to digital.

I am using a F707 so do not have the luxury to use iso 400, cos the noise will kill. :(

Most likely i have very little time to do post processing (or infact none! :confused: ) i try to get it right with all the exposure. Do i need to do specific adjustments (eg to saturate the colours) while showing on the projector?

Jus want to ask, will repeatedly using flash distract the tea ceremony etc? do u ppl use flash when taking these events?

don't worry about it. you could use flash all the time inside the house but may want to bounce the flash for softer effect.

sweat100 said:
Wow... thanks for all the replies and tips
Actually i told her i dont want to be that main photographer, ask her to hire a pro, but she said she wants a simple wedding (i suppose she does not wants to spend too much to hire a pro?), and most likely i will do it on a voulntarily basis. Not a easy job for me though(dont know why she trust me). :cry:

I think most likely i will shoot on digital as the main one since my main focus is the powerpoint. Maybe the FM2 is jus some backup or addon to digital.

I am using a F707 so do not have the luxury to use iso 400, cos the noise will kill. :(

Most likely i have very little time to do post processing (or infact none! :confused: ) i try to get it right with all the exposure. Do i need to do specific adjustments (eg to saturate the colours) while showing on the projector?

Jus want to ask, will repeatedly using flash distract the tea ceremony etc? do u ppl use flash when taking these events?

i used my oly E-10 to cover such a event once... didn't have to do any power point hehe... and i got paid at least a little... :D

and i used my bounce card ALOT.... in the indoor sceneces was using the card all the way... it did wonders.... once you get teh bounce correct it's sweet sailling for you. i flashed EVERY SHOT i took cause i wanted everyshot to come out perfect w/o shake. die die must flash. and if your setting's are correct there wun be any harsh flash..... hopefully 9 /10 would come out good.

and since oly is famous for noise... i used 80 on my system all the way... so flash was die die must.

Forget FM2 totally... unless you're damn seasoned with it and the routines of the wedding. Else it's going to break ur head totally.

A word of caution... I do hope you have a WA for the table shots. Yesterday was shooting in a very crowded spot. 28mm wasn't even enough.

SianZronG said:
i used my oly E-10 to cover such a event once... didn't have to do any power point hehe... and i got paid at least a little... :D

and i used my bounce card ALOT.... in the indoor sceneces was using the card all the way... it did wonders.... once you get teh bounce correct it's sweet sailling for you. i flashed EVERY SHOT i took cause i wanted everyshot to come out perfect w/o shake. die die must flash. and if your setting's are correct there wun be any harsh flash..... hopefully 9 /10 would come out good.

and since oly is famous for noise... i used 80 on my system all the way... so flash was die die must.
you didnt happen to be the one shooting at my cousins wedding did you???
heh... how old are you anyway and do you drive a taxi for a living?

espn said:
Forget FM2 totally... unless you're damn seasoned with it and the routines of the wedding. Else it's going to break ur head totally.

A word of caution... I do hope you have a WA for the table shots. Yesterday was shooting in a very crowded spot. 28mm wasn't even enough.
i think it would be best you did a little research of you own to find out at least where you'll be shooting at..

basically wedding shots may or may not have the sufficient space to shoot. if you're shooting at some lower end hotel say amara hotel etc. unlike the grand ballrooms of fullerton, ritz carlton, grand corpthorne etc. you might want to pick and choose a right lens.

I'd say if you were to shoot wedding pictures in one of these ballrooms you'll surely need a zoom lens with a good range probably 28-135. but i'm to say that 28mm is more than suffice for wedding table shots..

The sony only allows angle up to 38-190mm. I have the sony wide angle attachment which allows up to 24mm, should be enough? :dunno:
The FM2 is 28-80 F2.8, so i guess no problem and most likely the shots will not in the powerpoint. So i guess not giving much attention to it.
The wedding will be in fullerton, i been there to test out the lighting and stuffs. I tried a bounce card, omni bounce, and bounce card + omni bounce. It seems that all 3 like quite the same. Which one will u prefer? Bounce card, is really quite bulky IMO. Anyone have experience at fullerton to cover?
Been to the sites recommended by scanner, it seems that the bulk of them uses B&W, so is it more advisible to play the powerpoint in B&W and colour only a little as fill ups?

i used a 717 to cover an actual day once.

the table shots were totally disgusting because the 717 took 1000000 hours to focus in low light despite it being iso400. for the day, yes you can use a 717 but be prepared for everything to happen so fast.

sometimes you need to ask the couple like during tea ceremony.. don't offer the tea so fast so you can take. previously the couple did it so fast i couldn't take anything. i told them to slow down (keep reminding them coz they will forget) afterwards.

for night table shots, do use film. and be confident with the FM2. yes it will be nice to use b&w for a wedding but pls do use it sparingly. afterall singapore is quite a conservative country and not everybody can accept their weddings in b&w.

use an omni bounce. i recommend it. but you have to be VERY FAMILIAR with your flash. for me i'm already swearing by my flash so i sort of know the correct exposures for the shots (yes the flash is fully manual)

as for what you need,

1.REST. (imagine 5am wake up 12 am leave the hotel)
2. BATTERIES (AND CHARGER!! ) (you'll need to use at least 3 fully powered batteries.. if not if you own two, try to find a time in between where you can fully recharge one of them)
3. memory space.. either in the form of a laptop or xdrive or whatever.. or just a lot of memory sticks. i shot 500+ shots that day, with only 1 256 mb memory stick.. but i had a laptop with me.
4. relevant transfer cables

finally,
good luck

hmm... actually i thought sony is one of the best in low light focusing. Then i need to use manual cum auto on the day.
As for the FM2, i was only given B&W film to shoot so i guess cant shoot veryu much though.

A question regarding powerpoint, do u need to compensate for colour saturation, brightness, etc etc? Cos i think a projector usually make an image looks quite bad, then it actually is?

sweat100 said:

Hi there,
what kind of wedding photo do you intend to take? Maybe i can help you tomorrow afternoon,just tell me where do you like to meet cos I've just finish my wedding photo course from Stainly Lim colour photo shop

Wow! that would be great! For i think i will shot standard and perhaps some of those candid shots. When will ur course end? Tomorrow i am only free at certain times. How can i contact u by? I would be very very greatful if u can teach me more stuffs! :lovegrin:

sweat100 said:
Wow! that would be great! For i think i will shot standard and perhaps some of those candid shots. When will ur course end? Tomorrow i am only free at certain times. How can i contact u by? I would be very very greatful if u can teach me more stuffs! :lovegrin:

I've pm you oeady.I can teach you.Where you want to mee and what time
:think: :think:

joe said:
I've pm you oeady.I can teach you.Where you want to mee and what time
:think: :think:

That's the spirit, Joe :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: We need more people like you here to impart the knowledge and skills that you have acquired. :)

Kudos to you :thumbsup:

Lion king said:
That's the spirit, Joe :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: We need more people like you here to impart the knowledge and skills that you have acquired. :)

Kudos to you :thumbsup:

thanks ;)

Thanks Joe for repeadtedly waiting for me. Today met up with him. His valuable tips are very useful. Will take note of them when i shoot on that day. Thanks Joe! :)

sweat100 said:
Thanks Joe for repeadtedly waiting for me. Today met up with him. His valuable tips are very useful. Will take note of them when i shoot on that day. Thanks Joe! :)

Sure no problem,you need any help just give me a call.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.