Wedding DI market rate

Zantz

May 21, 2008
Shadow Moses
Hi all,

I need some help on the market rate of the wedding photo retouching.
The Client gives me about 2000 photos to edit. I am suppose to just touch up on the
tones and not so detail into the pimples and all. He said he is able to DI about 50 photos in 15 minutes.
How much should I charge? per photo or a bunch?

since he can do it so fast, why shd he spend the money?

every person workflow is different, so no point telling ppl how fast and how much can he or she do.

not possible for 50 pictures in 15 mins unless its a common pool of picture (Same camera, same issue).

Its possible only if it is common thing to enhance (automatically) and you can set Photoshop to automate on some of the task (adjust colors, contrast, etc). Sound like the client, being able to do 50 pics in 15 mins, is a robot neh? haha...

he uses camera raw settings to tweak, he doesn't go into photoshop.
But then again how much to charge?

ask urself u wanna do or not??

ask exactly what he wants u to do. then quote him whatever u think your time is worth. im guessing he is bsing u abt the time he takes to do it and using that to push down your rates or he is just batch processing the effect.

since he can do it so fast, why shd he spend the money?

every person workflow is different, so no point telling ppl how fast and how much can he or she do.

about to say the same thing,,,,

cheers

he say he can do it, that let him do it lor...

local people charge a few dollars a piece for 10mins per file, 2000 files, your client got the money to pay or not....? if yes, you got the time to touch up 2000 files or not?

let say spend 10mins per file, 2000 files = 20 thousand mins, that is 333.33 hours, you do full time touch up 8 hours a day, that is taking 41.6 days to complete, if you charge $100 per day, you clients need to pay you $4160. you sure he will pay you the money for touch up? and you sure want to make $100 per day? why don't go and shoot a few weddings, sure you can make more money than these..

he say he can do it, that let him do it lor...

local people charge a few dollars a piece for 10mins per file, 2000 files, your client got the money to pay or not....? if yes, you got the time to touch up 2000 files or not?

let say spend 10mins per file, 2000 files = 20 thousand mins, that is 333.33 hours, you do full time touch up 8 hours a day, that is taking 41.6 days to complete, if you charge $100 per day, you clients need to pay you $4160. you sure he will pay you the money for touch up? and you sure want to make $100 per day? why don't go and shoot a few weddings, sure you can make more money than these..

it works out to $2 per image, run a batch and set everything to auto still ok.

Is it possible to take a look at his sample file to ascertain how much work is involved before commiting to a quote? If there is a lot of retouching work involve individually, then maybe its best to charge based on time involved to do a good job and see if the other party is willing to pay

it works out to $2 per image, run a batch and set everything to auto still ok.
is photo retouching, aka touch up pimples, smooth skin, remove reflection from oily faces, cut and paste closed eyes......blar blar blar, can't do it by running batch processing......

unless you just want to apply overall guassian blur filter....... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I agree wif wat the rest of the guys. 50pcs in 15min to touch up... unlikely, unless is batch process like wat the rest had said. Just quote according to what you think is ok and how much time he is goin to give u. Take a look at his sample(if any) to see what actualli is done to the photo. Calculate how much time u need to for 1 photo n see if u can finish 2000 photo in the given time. If its not possible, i suggest u better dont accept it.

2ooo weddings photos?!
ask him how much he paid for the photography, then u will know how much to charge:bsmilie:

This is a job u should turn down. If the client can do 50pics in 15min if he thinks you are too expensive ie he earns less than what you charge then he should do it himself. Question is what is his standard of retouching that he expects to see and can u meet that standard ? How would you need per pic ? Charge appropriately taking on a job at below cost price is not a good idea.

I spend 20-30 minutes just to do a proper touch-up for one photo!

Of course for "iPhoto" type touch-up (using the enhance button), of course can be fast lah but that kind of enhancement only affects the brightness, saturation and contrast.

Take one of his photos and ask him to show you how he edits! I'll avoid such clients :thumbsd:

Maybe he is super good photographer who shoot and shoot and spend almost no time to touch up because he is THAT good.
still depending on wedding couples some like the dreamy effect while the last couple i did need something sharp and nice with
vibrant colors. There's only so much DI to be done if by batch processing but still 15min for 50 photos is just way to unrealistic.
Probably he is just converting them from RAW to JPEG only.

I do agree that you should not take it up unless you are willing to risk it. Note that once you cannot deliver then your name
would kinda be stinko already. always balance it properly.

$0.15 per image should be a good gauge.

Subject to a minimum of 500 pic.