Wedding DI market rate

perhaps your client is referring to post-processing, something like looking at raw shots and adjusting for WB and exposure, and maybe some simple cropping.

50 pics in 15min for these adjustments is possible, i think. not for the fussy, of course.

perhaps your client is referring to post-processing, something like looking at raw shots and adjusting for WB and exposure, and maybe some simple cropping.

50 pics in 15min for these adjustments is possible, i think. not for the fussy, of course.

15min = 900 sec
900 sec / 50 pic = 18 sec / pic :bigeyes:

(apologies for being too specific, it's monday :sweatsm: )

If really 50 photos per 15 mins like that, it can be only be very basic retouching or batch processing. The time spent is like for example a few minutes on the retouching setting which should be same for every photo, and then apply to all which would take the rest of the time to process finish.

If that is the case, I think the client should be able to handle it all alone already. So, from this I guess your client wants you to charge cheap, based on his example. However in order to ensure the quality of each photo, you will have to go through one by one, so your rate can be reasonable low but the time you spend on retouching should not be as short as 15mins for 50 photos.

I guess your client should find a slave for such demand.

DI, retouching, post processing,etc...these terms are all just used very broadly here.
I reckon theres just no real definative authority on which is what, so no real right or wrong.

But its just that people often get a shock when they realize professional retouching rates could be easily be ard S$250/hr, and all they're expecting is the simplest of post processing.

Different expectations and requirements.

This is a job u should turn down. If the client can do 50pics in 15min if he thinks you are too expensive ie he earns less than what you charge then he should do it himself. Question is what is his standard of retouching that he expects to see and can u meet that standard ? How would you need per pic ? Charge appropriately taking on a job at below cost price is not a good idea.

I'd agree with that.
Turn that idiot down. Unless you really need munny.

No matter what you do, from saying (he can DI 50pics in 15mins) he thinks of himself so highly, and he aint going to be happy with your work anyway. Ask him to do it on his own.

Oh yah, forgot to add;
if its for brainless editing, its totally possible to process photos using Actions at a rate average of 3-30secs per image (depends on resolution, the higher ~ the slower). With the following editings: Auto Levels, Auto Contrast, Auto Tone, Unsharp Mask, Soft Focus Effect, Simple Border all in less than 30secs per pic, its possible.

Last edited:
Another way is to charge by the hr. Maybe 30, 40 bucks an hr or whatever. If you take 30 bucks an hr and say u do 8 hrs a day for a month, which is abt 21 working days. 30*8*21= $5040. 5k a month doesn't sound tooo bad.

but the only way to gauge the hrs is if you ask him exactly what he wants to do, eg exposure, lighting, saturation, file rename and whatever. Then you try to do these things on a sample of pics (maybe 10 to 20) and estimate the time taken from there. Once you roughly know how many hrs you're going to put into it, estimating the price to charge will be much easier.

Hope its helps.

Another way is to charge by the hr. Maybe 30, 40 bucks an hr or whatever. If you take 30 bucks an hr and say u do 8 hrs a day for a month, which is abt 21 working days. 30*8*21= $5040. 5k a month doesn't sound tooo bad.

Wa bro, ur calculation rather simplistic loh but nice..lol:bsmilie:
Lets say average PG rates $200/hr, thats $33600/mth?..wow:lovegrin:

Wa bro, ur calculation rather simplistic loh but nice..lol:bsmilie:
Lets say average PG rates $200/hr, thats $33600/mth?..wow:lovegrin:

haha yeahh.. cos TS has too many variables to consider. At least if you can gauge how many hrs its going to take, and put some stats into it, you'll have a much better picture of whether to take the job and how much to charge.

hahah sounds good ah, $33600/mth. but its probably quite difficult to get jobs everyday though, and I think if you were to have 5 wedding shoots a week, you'll peng san after a few months hahaha..

Do not forget to factor in the medical fee for the Eye Clinic.

i used to work in the wedding photography industry but i can't reveal the rate. As a rough guide for your reference, charge $1.00 per photo if its a one off job with simple touch-up. If its on a regular basis with 1000 to 2000 photos per job, you can go lower, but not lower than 50 cents per photo please.

May I know what is the time frame for 1000 photos retouching ? Is there such order as ASAP ? Thanks.

So the pricing and time of completion varies according to spec and demand.

Ahh this sure brings back good memories of my encounter with this client when I first started out.. wants me to take studio shot of 500 watches and offer...

*drum rolls

1 dollar per picture and they want raw files.

Honestly clients like them should &#@% pardon my language. But if this happens to me again, i'd personally buy a 500 dollar digi cam and shove it up theirs.

But I digress.

I totally think it is justified to charge them in the thousands based on the amt of workload. If not do not take it up.. because they simply trying to take advantage of you

i met a client once quoted me $0.13 per photo...to etch out product to white background.... =.=

my advise is charge accordingly to how much u deserve. i normally calculate how much photos i can DI in an hour. i wouldn't take a job that demands quality and fastest speed of DI-ing, and in the end sums up to lower than $5 per hour

If one thinks that he is working in a production line, 13¢ per photo sounds right
If one thinks that he is a crafts man, I think he can charge $13 per photo
If one thinks that he is an artist, he can charge $130 per photo

At the end who do you think you are?

Use lightroom and apply s-curve on 1 photo. Synchronize the other 1999 photos. Watch a movie marathon. Export 2000 photos to jpg. Drink beer. Drink more beer. Burn in CD. Overall 18 sec per pix. Don't forget to charge 2 beers as MISC.

Use lightroom and apply s-curve on 1 photo. Synchronize the other 1999 photos. Watch a movie marathon. Export 2000 photos to jpg. Drink beer. Drink more beer. Burn in CD. Overall 18 sec per pix. Don't forget to charge 2 beers as MISC.

Haha .. very efficient.