wedding day photos


Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2004
224
0
0
32
#1
intedning to cover a friend's wedding wif D70, SB 800 & nikkor 28-80mm G. First time doing wedding photography, can anyone give recommendations on taking wedding photos? any tips will be fine. thx
 

ortega

Moderator
Staff member
Nov 2, 2004
23,694
10
38
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
#2
laughingstation said:
intedning to cover a friend's wedding wif D70, SB 800 & nikkor 28-80mm G. First time doing wedding photography, can anyone give recommendations on taking wedding photos? any tips will be fine. thx
The 28-80mm lens is not wide enough for wedding (after the 1.5 x crop factor) also consider an external battery pack for the flash.
What about the capacity of your CF card, how many shot can it store?
You will need to store at least 350-650 shots.
 

scanner

Senior Member
Jan 24, 2002
1,608
0
0
Visit site
#3
ortega said:
The 28-80mm lens is not wide enough for wedding (after the 1.5 x crop factor) also consider an external battery pack for the flash.
What about the capacity of your CF card, how many shot can it store?
You will need to store at least 350-650 shots.
You don't really need to have external battery pack for flash. It is good to have but not a must. ;)

Last but not least, the amount of shots you going to take is depend on your skill as well as your shooting style. Are you a trigger happy person or a disciplined shooter? Ask yourself this question before deciding on the number of CF card you need. Definitely, the more storage space you have, the better it is. :)
 

Jan 23, 2004
224
0
0
32
#4
i have two 256Mb cards will tt be sufficient? err if i cant find any lense wider den 28mm anyone has suggestions on how to overcome this problem? (now i'm stressed)
 

catchlights

Moderator
Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
21,903
46
48
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
#6
Are you shooting for the whole event?

Are you the only photographer?

If both yes, your lens might not wide enought, you can make use of the fifth battary of the SB800.

You need to capture that amount of images for a whole day wedding events, so prepare enought CF cards and battaries.

What to capture? go and borrow someone's wedding day album, you will know what are the things to look out, after you have gone thru a few albums.

and more info of wedding day photgraphy in this forum, you may like to do a search.
 

jonlou

New Member
Mar 24, 2004
316
0
0
32
SG
#8
laughingstation said:
i have two 256Mb cards will tt be sufficient? err if i cant find any lense wider den 28mm anyone has suggestions on how to overcome this problem? (now i'm stressed)
confirm not enuff... :dunno: get a 1G card if can lor at least...
 

Sjourn

Senior Member
Aug 9, 2004
967
0
0
Punggol 21
#11
Confirm 28-80 lens not wide enuff...kit lens should work.

btw, normally how big file size per pic is shot during wedding days? S,M,L or NEF? :cheers:
 

Feinwerkbau

Deregistered
May 11, 2004
834
0
0
#13
Yes, 28mm in digital is way way way too narrow.

18 mm (equivalent to close to 28mm depending on crop factors) is already tight, especially when your back is against the wall/crowded restaurant setting.

I normally shoot with a 15-30 for almost all of the day & indoor shots, as well as dinner shots.

Bring along BU Cam, even if can't get 2nd DSLR bod, a gud P&S Prosumer may save your day!

Take along BU Flash.

Take along at least 2 x 1GB BU card. If you shoot RAW, at least 3 x 1GB cards. Remember, one (or heaven forbid, two) cards can fail when you least expect it.

Take along at least 2 sets of Batts for everything.

Bring along chargers and a card reader.

If you have a portable data storage device, bring it along.

Relevant cables for everything.

Multi-pin adapter or 2 or 3 way adapter for use on site.

Lastly, take along BU BU BU & BU photogs from CS! :bsmilie:

If you've not had much experience covering weddings and events, don't risk it, especially if you're da main man. You might loose a friend or make a relative an enemy for life without knowing it.

Merry Christmas and all the best for your shoot! ;)

p.s. Take along a strip of Panadol and decolfenac gel to ease pain and apply on aching shoulders and arms! :bsmilie:
 

yanyewkay

Senior Member
Sep 22, 2004
3,924
0
0
Cons digger.
#18
erm.. back back back backups' apprentice? :p

I will also be covering his wedding day for my friend in july.
I am the only photographer there.. he knows that I'm no PRO and will just try my best. :D So I've arranged for another photog who is also not a pro but just to cover spots that I've missed out. :D

If your friend trusts you.. you must be some where to have gained his trust.
Else you must have been talking like thunder.. but no rain... :bsmilie:
 

Jan 23, 2004
224
0
0
32
#19
thx for the overwhelming response. unfortunately, i'm already a backup of a back for tt wedding. hmmm i wont not be covering the day one, n most probably only the wedding dinner... rather common wif lighting cos i had be a canon user for years n it's my first time working wif a nikon flash for indoor shoots. can any one give advice on how to set the flash. is ISO 400 gd enough? should i set any compensation on SB 800 or the camera body?
 

catchlights

Moderator
Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
21,903
46
48
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
#20
laughingstation said:
thx for the overwhelming response. unfortunately, i'm already a backup of a back for tt wedding. hmmm i wont not be covering the day one, n most probably only the wedding dinner... rather common wif lighting cos i had be a canon user for years n it's my first time working wif a nikon flash for indoor shoots. can any one give advice on how to set the flash. is ISO 400 gd enough? should i set any compensation on SB 800 or the camera body?
ISO 400 should be fine, check histogram for every shots, if you are uncertain about exposure, shoot RAW.

Hope this help
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom