Wedding day photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

welisha

Jun 25, 2009
welisha.multiply.com
Hi All, i may be helping my friend as a 2nd photographer on his wedding, any advice from experts over here? im using Nikon D40. Will be morning till night. what do i need? wat type of lens will be good for the travelling from house to house, indoor and dim light auditorium etc. many thanks : )

Hi All, i may be helping my friend as a 2nd photographer on his wedding, any advice from experts over here? im using Nikon D40. Will be morning till night. what do i need? wat type of lens will be good for the travelling from house to house, indoor and dim light auditorium etc. many thanks : )

what other equipment do you have?

you're not paid right ? ive taken weddings with kit lens.. good enough.

you need flash too ... extra memory cards.. and lots of batteries .

do you know hte 1st photographer ? if you do know him/her ask for tips. some main photographers are kind enough to give tips, some are not .

Last edited:
As a 2nd photographer you can help the main photographer in taking the candid shots because you should position yourself out of the way of the main photographer. Your candid shots can help to complete the wedding album for the couple. So for candid shooting you need a long lens (if you have). If don't have, kit lens is also fine enough. Shooting from morning until night you need the extra battery for your camera, a lot of memory cards (if you shoot in raw) and a lot of batteries for the external flash.

Keep reminding yourself to be out of the way of the main photographer because otherwise instead of helping you may ruin the wedding album. Enjoy!!! :)

1) i think more importantly is to ask your friend what is his expectations of you i.e. what he expects you to cover. both of you should discuss who is covering what so that you will maximise coverage of the event and have back up picture of important moments.
2) as a 2nd photographer give way to the main photographer (unless you are task to cover it) e.g. it's easy to get carried away during the exchange of rings and you may block your friend in the process

Thanks all for the reply! Currently i have a 18-105 VR kit lens and 35mm prime lens. Will the aperture be good enough for dim light indoor auditorium settings? I may need to borrow a flash as mentioned by some of you. When you mean many batteries is how many haaa... : ). Is my D40 good enough or should i borrow my friends D90? Thks again!!

I'll also be a "spare" photographer for my cousin's wedding coming up in a few weeks.
So I'll only be using my 2 Olympus kit lenses + flash.

I think it should be enough?? No idea. :dunno:

Ha cool, i heard from a few CSs that their first time in wedding shoot is stressful.... : ) ha so have to prepare myself too. Ha pls share with experience in 2 weeks time ok? : )

there's nothing stressful if you are not main photographer :)

what's stressful is when u are taking a shot and someone bang into you and knock the cake down. Happened to me. now THAT is stressful...

back to topic.. 18-105vr is good enough. at 18mm, you can use the f3.5 for some bokeh though it aint so much. for indoor shoot, make sure you have a flash and be prepared to pump iso from 800-1250, no more than that or grainy images later...

remember, as long as you dont "mess" or "spoil" the main photographer's shot, you'll be fine :) most importantly have fun and relax. it is your friend's wedding so enjoy it too as a guest

Noted thanks for advice!!! for flash indoor would or should i always use? which direction would i usually have to point the flash at? as mentioned by some CS if flash at target will be too bright. Thanks

Noted thanks for advice!!! for flash indoor would or should i always use? which direction would i usually have to point the flash at? as mentioned by some CS if flash at target will be too bright. Thanks

indoor will have a ceiling right ? bounce it

Try using bounce flash for indoors. The main photographer will be covering the "standard" shots, hence you can focus on taking snapshots of the guest in comfortable/candid poses, like their joy, and happiness. Also, kids make interesting subjects too. Try to catch some of them in play.

Hi if the ceiling is super high type means like those high church buidling height, can bounce so high?

2nd photographer? why stress....just shoot with whatever you have....lousy also never mind (you are not paid any way).

Better clarify with your friend what are required of you as 2nd photographer. If its for fun, which i doubt, then it doesn't matter wad kit u use.

However, most of the time, you are expected to produce photos that are worthy of keeping. If you are new to this, read up on them (lots of books at kino or riceball). 2nd photographer usually helps in covering alternative angles and candids (but might differ, best check with your friend). So a mid-tele lens will be good. Like 85/1.8 or 50/1.4.

Have fun.

i just did it being 2nd photographer for my best friend's wedding, just simply with kit lens, because i have not bought any new lens.

but to my limited knowledge, my suggestion is:

- get a speedlite and diffuser, it will definitely help a lot indoor especially for the wed banquet
- get a zoom lens if you have the money, because to capture people emotion from far, you need get zoom in without them knowing.In fact, a normal professional photographer may carry 2 camera, one with zoom and another wide angle, because when the event start, it is quite hard for you to change lens, so a zoom lens may help u do all job
- get a prime lens (probably f1.8 is good enough) for taking portrait

also, try to learn from the main photographer, make good friends with him so that he can teach you some skill...learn from him where he get ready to take photo.

but also your friend will be appreciate that you take something different from main photographer, because the main photographer may left out a lot of other details, like try to stand at another position, take from other angle from the main photographer... and shoot photo of the relative and friends whom you are more familiar with, etc.

also, try to learn from the main photographer, make good friends with him so that he can teach you some skill...learn from him where he get ready to take photo.

but also your friend will be appreciate that you take something different from main photographer, because the main photographer may left out a lot of other details, like try to stand at another position, take from other angle from the main photographer... and shoot photo of the relative and friends whom you are more familiar with, etc.

the one i highligthed in bold... Depends on photographers. Not all will be willing to spend time and tell you. Even me, depending on mood + situation, sometimes i'll flare up when someone does get in my way, but sometimes not. the MOST important tip when approaching the main photographer, get to know hime before the shoot and tag along and ask for pointers. DONT get in his way. remember, he's being paid to perform his job..

i have came across where the 2nd photographer tries to "steal" my poses and shots or see something he likes and takes the shot while i miss it entirely and takes my time and everyone's time by having me to constantly remind him Im the main photographer.

you're using d40, get an sb600 or rent/borrow to compliment your gear.. .. 18-55 would be good enough or if you have 18-105. Watch your ISO

be nice and friendly, not rude and ignorant . lastly... please enjoy ! Its your friend's wedding :bsmilie: do have fun taking pics as well as enjoy the food and the event itself ok ?

Last edited:
I have a suggestion if you are not to confident in your photo skills. Take a camcorder instead and record the event then later pass the footage to your friend or can spend a bit to ask someone to do a wedding video montage.

Status
Not open for further replies.