wedding cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

thevar

Apr 5, 2006
Hi,hope I not stiring up some comotions among members,which of these cameras and lens are good for weddings, my obervasations shows canon,fuji and nikon. I seen real pros using canons why?

Ive seen pros using all 3...Any camera is good for weddings, provided the user is good...

The person behind the camera is more important. He is the one who press the trigger:bsmilie:

sony, pentax, olympus..

There was a newspaper article on newpaper about more wedding photographers in SG, and the guy pictured was using a holga.

it's the person behind the camera that's the most important.

But my question is why majority canon?sorry guys I need to ask this!

or even medium format cams like Hasselblad or Mamiya for wedding portraits..

Hi,hope I not stiring up some comotions among members,which of these cameras and lens are good for weddings, my obervasations shows canon,fuji and nikon. I seen real pros using canons why?

LOL. That's one of the silliest things I've ever read.

Pro = the person behind the camera. Usually uses Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, Hasselblad, Pentax, Olympus, Leica, Ricoh or Panasonic. In other words, the equipment doesn't matter.

Lens for wedding: Whichever one suits the theme/mood the photographer wants to capture

Camera for wedding: Whichever is the one you're holding in your hand is the best one for the job.

I would say Canon was the first with an relatively affordable full-frame cam, aka 5D which appealed to alot of wedding photogs.. so they stuck on I guess?

In SG? Maybe because there are too many wanna-be pros who think that Canon + L glass will make them look pro and automagically give them great pictures. It's a bit of "monkey-see monkey-do" if you understand. They think they'll look pro, even if their pictures are awful.

However, the *real* pros actually use all sorts of cameras.

I would say Canon was the first with an relatively affordable full-frame cam, aka 5D which appealed to alot of wedding photogs.. so they stuck on I guess?

Finally! Someone got it! ;)

Yes, that is indeed one reason many professional photogs went the canon route.

And that's why nowadays you also see a very high demand in the wedding industry for the D700 and A900. :)

Last edited:
yes chan you are possiblly right,Rashkae I am talking real pros charging 5k for a wedding and this pros dont carry a flash with them!

yes chan you are possiblly right,Rashkae I am talking real pros charging 5k for a wedding and this pros dont carry a flash with them!

Errr... So not carrying a flash makes them "real pros"?

That's just using a large-aperture lens to maximize light intake and achieve nice bokeh. All manufacturers have them.

Define "real pro".

Without flash? Interesting... Actual Day or Kopi Table?

No flash ? You must be kidding me. Large aperture doesn't mean it can function in night you you know ? Large aperture in broad day light doesn't necessary give you good pictures either.

No flash ? You must be kidding me. Large aperture doesn't mean it can function in night you you know ? Large aperture in broad day light doesn't necessary give you good pictures either.

I'm guessing it was broad daylight / available light falling through a window portraiture work.

Define "real pro".

Without flash? Interesting... Actual Day or Kopi Table?

I don't use Canon.

No wonder I am a fake pro, lah. Haha! :bsmilie:

Okay lah, I can see TS point. It is actually a valid question: Why the apparent proliferation of Canon users amongst pros? Whatever our preferences, we cannot really deny this fact.

One of the reasons is that Canon came up with a lot of models that pros could actually use, many of whom were journalists. One of the popular models then was the D30? And they also came up with the 1Ds full-frame body for about 3-4 years already, something that Nikon and Sony only recently came up with.

The other reasons that I've read/heard of (but have not been able to verify??) is that Canon's lenses aren't built to be razor sharp, which is more suited for people photography?

IMHO, Nikon's golden days are over - they were undoubtedly king of film. Now is the Canon era. Opinion, nia okay? Mai work-up, hor?

And also, I don't agree that it's the person behind the camera that matters. Gear does matter as well. I think this one people debate until blue in the face before already. The wedding photographer may be using a Holga, but that's probably because he was after a certain effect. However, if a fairly conventional output is required, there's no way a lomocam will be able to produce a shot that a full-frame DSLR with f/1.2 lens can.

agree with synapseman on the point that its not always about the man behind the camera. the man compose the picture, set the effects and outcome of the picture while the equipment set/restrict the limits of the effects that the camera man wants

I guess why alot of ppl use canon could be attributed to the fact that canon got tons of lens which suit different ppl's needs better than what nikon and sony or any other brand could provide. canon i believe got the fastest frame per second body which really is super useful for sport event to capture those critical moment, and those huge aperture prime for wonder bokeh at different mm range.

camera man maybe pro but if given a 50mm f1.8 and a crop factor camera body he wouldnt be able to reproduce the same as what he would get if he got a 50mm f1.2 on a full frame camera body.

Last edited:
canon i believe got the fastest frame per second body which really is super useful for sport event to capture those critical moment, and those huge aperture prime for wonder bokeh at different mm range.

No, that goes to Nikon's D3 @ 11fps full-frame. Also, doesn't Nikon have 1.2 lens(es)?

Status
Not open for further replies.