Web Hostings - From which hosting company???

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanqiang1011

Jan 22, 2005
Tiny Red Dot...
www.blitzwerkz.com
Hi all,

Regarding web hosting, which company offers the best price? I would like to have one web hosting services to host my online portfolio in this coming Nov.

Can share with me which company is best and value for money in terms of package???

Thanks.

Jack:)

for security, stability, no down time, choose www.webvisions.com :thumbsup:

if want cheaper option, can choose godaddy.com my colleague recommended :thumbsup:

Some hosting company tie you down with your domain name after a transfer or register. Infact for some you don't really own the domain name so becarfull. :dunno:

YMMV

till now i still dun get it.
singapore-based web hosting is much more expensive then US counterparts yet their specifications are much lower than what US can offer. Is the reliability of US hosting so poor as compared to singapore that people are willing to pay so much more for such little space?(not refering to those really cheapo US hosting, but those which are priced moderately with specs that are not out of this world).

Some US hosting i am refering to(which i think is reliable):
smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/?p=PASSPORT
www.ixwebhosting.com
www.lunarpages.com
www.asmallorange.com

problem is, if your webhost in US, it will take a longer time for things to get loaded.

but is it really that slow? i mean like, i dun find yahoo slow. and also, my main visitors are from china, so will there be a significant difference if i use US or singapore hosting? thanks!

*btw, am i like crashing TS's thread? if TS wants, i can use back my old thread.

the host speed is faster if you use a sg or hk host. both uploading and downloading. and the site listing willbe much higher. cuz if you use US ones it'll be listed under US and probably remain unknown for another decade. and oh if you use US ones its highly likely it's not going to show up in china etc or it will take about 10min to load your page there (or more. depending on who you get).

the host speed is faster if you use a sg or hk host. both uploading and downloading. and the site listing willbe much higher. cuz if you use US ones it'll be listed under US and probably remain unknown for another decade. and oh if you use US ones its highly likely it's not going to show up in china etc or it will take about 10min to load your page there (or more. depending on who you get).

hi. have you used both US and singapore hosting and access it both locally and in china before? just want to know if this is first hand info or general info floating about on the internet. right now, i am just slightly cautious about opinions as i am going crazy searching for them on the internet, there are so many reviews but they always clash with each other. one site can have Host A rated as the top and another can critisise it like damn bad like that. suspect that those review site are paid by specific hosting companies. so i have sort of given up on online reviews. anyone has first hand experience using US-based hosting services before?

anyone has first hand experience using US-based hosting services before?
I'm sure many of us do. My own experience with US hosting has been good, just be sensible about the prices you pay in relation to what you get. You also have to get used to the time difference if you have support issues. Most of the budget hosts don't have 24-hour technical support.

I'm sure many of us do. My own experience with US hosting has been good, just be sensible about the prices you pay in relation to what you get. You also have to get used to the time difference if you have support issues. Most of the budget hosts don't have 24-hour technical support.

can tell me which service you using? and anyone here used ixwebhosting? it looks pretty attractive, just need some firsthand opinions from their users.

So far I have 3 web hosted in the USA hosting company and experience with them are quite good. Online chat room support is there and can even get shell prompt. :)

can tell me which service you using?

Hi all,

Regarding web hosting, which company offers the best price? I would like to have one web hosting services to host my online portfolio in this coming Nov.

Can share with me which company is best and value for money in terms of package???

Thanks.

Jack:)

forget about .sg domain names.... just get a .com domain registered and redirect it to a hosting site.

imho, local firms, good ones too expensive... cheap ones CMI.

do a good deal of research before you commit to any 'too good to be true' offers.

especially when they tell you unmetered and unlimited bandwidth/space... there is a big difference.

i am paying about 7USD/mth for a clustered environment with daily backups, over 10gigs of space and about 10gig/day bandwidth. alot of email/ftp accounts to create, 5 databases and a list of stuffs. essentially, i could've hosted 2-3 popular forums comfortably.. :p

problem is, if your webhost in US, it will take a longer time for things to get loaded.

Don't let the above posts mislead you.
Especially this "cuz if you use US ones it'll be listed under US and probably remain unknown for another decade" :dunno: :think:

Most Singapore hosting companies are overcharging the public with inferior services.
Why? Because the market is small and if you really count, not that many people own personal domains or know how to start up personal websites from scratch.

The U.S hosting market is matured and almost at the point of saturation. Typical students will set up personal web servers in their dorms/homes and run their own hosting services.

Check out these top US hosting companies.
I have used them all for many years, no problems at all.
All of them loads lightning quick and very little down time.

Dreamhost was having a promo a year ago.
$7.95 hosting for a year. Domain name included

www.1and1.com
www.dreamhost.com
www.lunapages.com
www.godaddy.com

Don't let the above posts mislead you.
Especially this "cuz if you use US ones it'll be listed under US and probably remain unknown for another decade" :dunno: :think:

Most Singapore hosting companies are overcharging the public with inferior services.
Why? Because the market is small and if you really count, not that many people own personal domains or know how to start up personal websites from scratch.

The U.S hosting market is matured and almost at the point of saturation. Typical students will set up personal web servers in their dorms/homes and run their own hosting services.

Check out these top US hosting companies.
I have used them all for many years, no problems at all.
All of them loads lightning quick and very little down time.

Dreamhost was having a promo a year ago.
$7.95 hosting for a year. Domain name included

www.1and1.com
www.dreamhost.com
www.lunapages.com
www.godaddy.com

thanks! many firsthand comments about US hosting here sure makes me easier to decide now.:) btw, is it possible for you to take a quick look on www.ixwebhosting.com ? main attraction luring me in is their 3 free domains for the business plan, just want to know whether it belongs to those gimmicks from your experience. thanks!:)

edit: oh, and is it lunarpages? i think the "r" is missing. lol.

I'm speaking from the point of view of a web host (because I am one)

I beg to differ about the speeds between local servers and overseas servers. There is definitely difference. It may not be a humongous difference, but there is definitely difference due to the route it takes for the contents of a webpage to reach you.

Are the web hosts in Singapore overcharging?
Ask yourself this. How much do you earn an hour for your current job? $5? $10? $20? or even more?
If a local web host charges you $100 for a year to host your website & domain and spends time creating your account, maintaining your account (not to mention the 24/7 email or phone support rendered). Divide that $100 by 12 and you are actually paying them $8.33 a month for the piece of work. This means they are paid $0.27 a DAY & I'm not even going to talk about hourly pay. We are not even offsetting the cost of maintaining the hardware & domain name charges.

To be frank, let me tell you this. If someone is offering 5GB of webspace and many many tetrabytes of bandwidth. They are definitely overselling with the assumption that nobody will use the full 5GB of webspace. I myself don't oversell webspace so I charge a REASONABLE sum for every byte of webspace.

And remember this. If your overseas host disappears with your yearly payment, are you going to fly over there to try and get a refund? You wouldn't even know who to claim from. At least in Singapore, when you host with a registered webhosting company, you can at least find out the owner of the company from ACRA (with a small fee), should you be unlucky that the owner run off with your money.

Just my 10 cents.

I'm speaking from the point of view of a web host (because I am one)

To be frank, let me tell you this. If someone is offering 5GB of webspace and many many tetrabytes of bandwidth. They are definitely overselling with the assumption that nobody will use the full 5GB of webspace. I myself don't oversell webspace so I charge a REASONABLE sum for every byte of webspace.

And remember this. If your overseas host disappears with your yearly payment, are you going to fly over there to try and get a refund? You wouldn't even know who to claim from. At least in Singapore, when you host with a registered webhosting company, you can at least find out the owner of the company from ACRA (with a small fee), should you be unlucky that the owner run off with your money.

Just my 10 cents.

Now why do i need to pay for every byte of webspace when for the same price, or even lesser, i get tetrabytes available at the tip of my fingers? We are talking differences in cents here, how much more "reasonable" can your prices be??

No, if overseas host disappears with my yearly payment, i will not fly there, because it is only a $100 loss ;) That's why we choose the reputable companies in the first place right? :bsmilie: So what if i know who the owner of a local company is when he runs off with my $100 yearly payment? Should I go knock on his door like a loanshark?

Now why host with a BIG reputable company? 1st, the owner of a big company won't post in a public forum hawking his wares. 2nd, I wouldn't want to be 1 of the 10 people hosting with a company and have the owner stalking all over my info, where's the security and anonymity in that?

Status
Not open for further replies.