Web host and photo browser recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkaiser

Aug 31, 2005
Bt Timah
Not sure to place this under biz or DD sub-forum, but i need some recommendations for a web host to hold my photos for friends and potential clients to view. I'm thinking of putting a personal blog on the same web space but on a different domain.

1) Izzit worthwhile paying more for a .sg addres?
2) Web hosts are dime a dozen, any reputable ones to recommend? I've read about this InMotion hosting, which seems pretty decent..
3) Are there any photo viewers that u recommend?

Not sure to place this under biz or DD sub-forum, but i need some recommendations for a web host to hold my photos for friends and potential clients to view. I'm thinking of putting a personal blog on the same web space but on a different domain.

2) Web hosts are dime a dozen, any reputable ones to recommend? I've read about this InMotion hosting, which seems pretty decent..

1)Not really. IF you can get the .com name you want, no need to pay more for a .sg. I highly recommend www.namecheap.com for .com, you can get a discount on the first year registration. You can search the internet for reviews about namecheap. Even though it sounds cheasy, they are reliable. I currently have my www.gavis.net and www.gavinting.com registered with them no problem. If you want .sg, get it from webvisions, pretty reliable, standard price.

2)Ehh.. Check out webhostingtalk.com and sgwht.com forums. I suggest you get overseas webhosting if cost is a concern. Local servers dont really give much of a boost, except for support, as you can call the admins and scream at them when your website is down, but local hosting is always expensive.

3)I have no idea what a photo viewer is.

If you want to host a blog on the same webspace, make sure that the webspace you get has "Addon domains" so that you can add another .com address.

Personally, I use flickr premium acc to host my pics.

2) I am on iwi.com.sg no problems so far and they have been around for a LONG time.

3) photoshop web gallery
http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=343166

I presume ur talking abt a online photo gallery software. I recommend Gallery 2 as its free(open source) and quite good.

i use deviantart to post my pictures.

but if you are getting a .com

there are also questions that u wanna ask urself..
would u rather a site that has asp/php/jsp engine...
generally dont bother paying extra for a .jsp site if ure just going to do mainly normal html stuff..
php/asp servers come at a relatively cheap price...
i used to have a domain @ www.frozened.net
its a local business
cheers

Not very sure what u mean by online gallery, but my guess is that you mean free scripts that you can upload to your site to create a gallery like pbase.

I have tried a few, all of which use php...

"Singapore" (yes, not kidding) www.sgal.org is the easiest to setup and use, but I'm not certain if it can create sub-galleries
"PHP Album" is slightly harder to setup, but quite easy to use.
The above 2 do not require database, so it's easier in a way.

There's also Coppermine and Gallery.

If you can do some HTML, SimpleViewer is also something that I use in my website.

Hope this helps.

hey guys..thanks for all the comments n suggestions..time to check out the links that u ppl sent... yea i agree that local hosting is not cheap, and for the .sg... not sure worth it or not...the tentative plan is to host the portfolio on a .com and blog on a .net.

Ya photo viewer/browser as in some of the albums that u have on ur websites, some are flash-based which are pretty nice..i'm not so keen on flickr since it is hosted elsewhere and i dun like the colours of the site..haha!

hey guys..thanks for all the comments n suggestions..time to check out the links that u ppl sent... yea i agree that local hosting is not cheap, and for the .sg... not sure worth it or not...the tentative plan is to host the portfolio on a .com and blog on a .net.

Ya photo viewer/browser as in some of the albums that u have on ur websites, some are flash-based which are pretty nice..i'm not so keen on flickr since it is hosted elsewhere and i dun like the colours of the site..haha!

You can use subdomains, for eg. www.portfolio.jkaiser.com and www.blog.jkaiser.com, if you want I can help you with that ;)

You can consider stuff like coppermine, or stuff @ http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=php+web+gallery

These usually require php and mysql on your webhost, which is usually included.

1. Frankly speaking, no point getting a .com.sg, or .sg, you are paying like 3-5 times more for no significant purposes. Even if the .com is not available, try to play around with words and get something close.

2. Too many to list, in terms of stability, speed and speed, sgdomain.com, newmediaexpress.com, usonyx.net gave pretty good specs. Tried to get those on linux server. Not only they are cheaper, it's easier for you to find php softwares.

:)

Hi,

I've been using Lunar Pages for some months without a prob. About USD 7 per month if you sign up for 2 years hosting. If you search online for "lunarpages coupon" you can even get some further discounts on this price. It gives 1500 Gb, and 15000Gb bandwidth per month and free domain name.

You can try my gallery and blog to check out the performance:
http://lilduckling.com/gallery
http://lilduckling.com/blog
I'm not trying to pimp my gallery or anything... there's nothing I can show off.

The photo viewing software I use allows batch upload via FTP and you can create accounts for users to log in. This way you can control who can view, upload, or download your photos. I think there are others you can install. They offer you 2 or 3 alternatives in terms of what software you wish to install for your blog, gallery, etc (cPanel, fantastico, ....).

And if you sign up via my link, you can help me get some discounts in future. :bsmilie:
http://www.lunarpages.com/id/lilducklingcom

Hi,

I've been using Lunar Pages for some months without a prob. About USD 7 per month if you sign up for 2 years hosting. If you search online for "lunarpages coupon" you can even get some further discounts on this price. It gives 1500 Gb, and 15000Gb bandwidth per month and free domain name.

You can try my gallery and blog to check out the performance:
http://lilduckling.com/gallery
http://lilduckling.com/blog
I'm not trying to pimp my gallery or anything... there's nothing I can show off.

The photo viewing software I use allows batch upload via FTP and you can create accounts for users to log in. This way you can control who can view, upload, or download your photos. I think there are others you can install. They offer you 2 or 3 alternatives in terms of what software you wish to install for your blog, gallery, etc (cPanel, fantastico, ....).

And if you sign up via my link, you can help me get some discounts in future. :bsmilie:
http://www.lunarpages.com/id/lilducklingcom

Your site pages load very slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.