Wearing a Sling Camera Bag as "Backpack"

Status
Not open for further replies.

haikuthief

Apr 12, 2008
I've seen lots of photographers carry heavy sling Lowepro bags on one shoulder which is sometimes very uncomfortable after a long day's shoot -- the things we all do for a good picture. Thought I'd share a way I thought of to carry it as a "backpack" with 2 straps to even the weight out with just one additional Optech strap, just as I used to carry big plastic bags in a makeshift way over both my shoulders. It makes a huge difference when you carry long lenses, bodies with grips and lots of accessories -- one-sided slings are likely to really tire out one side. Switching sides frequently is uncomfortable and inconvenient at best.
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before or if this is new, but here goes:

wear.jpg

1. Attach the Optech strap
2. Sling both straps over one shoulder (any shoulder)
3. Assign one of the straps as the Primary strap (I prefer optech)
4. If you slung both straps on your left shoulder, put your right hand through and between the straps (the primary strap should be the lower one)
5. Slide the secondary strap over your left shoulder
6. Slide the secondary strap on the right side up and over your right shoulder
7. The first time you do this, more weight is going to be on one strap -- adjust the secondary strap so that it distributes the weight more evenly (you only need to do this once)

Done!
This way, you get the option of carrying it sling with both straps, or convert it to a 2-shouldered backpack when you start feeling tired. Quick access to equipment easy (you get used to going into this position and out of it very quickly) especially if you have a bag like the stealth reporter with a zip on top. For example, you can backpack it while traveling to your location, then sling while on the job for faster access.

I hope this helps anyone with huge bags and lots of equipment.

Regards, Haiku
P.S. I'm selling that reporter back, but I've not met my reserve price yet -- any takers?
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373736Please PM me any bids if you you are interested. Thanks.

Not to mention sling=bad backache esp I usu carry heavy equips in there. I've developed iron shoulders on both sides already but I'm thinking of getting a proper backpack.
But good idea here, though it looks a little strange. Might get a bit of stares, lol.

Yes -- carrying equipment is a workout in itself.
I think it looks cool with the crisscross straps. ;p
And its a cheap alternative, i think optech straps are quite affordable now.

I would buy or get matching straps to make it look more OEM.

While distributing the weight on both shoulders certainly gives u less aches,
the sling bag has also effectively lost its convenience

Ryan

would be nice if they had colored optech straps... matching red maybe... mmm.

You're right, best not to try to get your lens out in backpack mode -- I typically change it back to sling mode to access it. Or else, i keep it in sling during the shoot. For example, I may backpack it while i travel to the shoot or when im not shooting, and if the shoot calls for constant access then i keep it slung side during the shoot, and back to backpack when its over again.

damned, it's a tought fight between convenience and aching back and shoulders

i'm not too sure if ladies would try that though :embrass:

You get the best of both worlds if you carry it backpack style with the bag in front of you instead. Sure you look like a pregnant woman but it gets the shot anyhow.

I believe why ppl carry sling bags rather than back packs are mainly becos of their accessibility to lens, equipment, etc. Though your method is kindda innovative, it defeats the purpose of accessibility. Why not then get a proper backpack and enjoy the extra cushioning and padding? :think:

I prefer my Lowepro Orion Beltpack, which allos me to change the detachable backpack for a sling strap, so I can use that together with the belt for a sturdy hold and easy access to my gear. BTW, I don't have much gear....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.