We have a new Zodiac Animal replacement - The Cupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
gawd... i'm quite sure tigers, rabbits, dragons, rats, dogs, snakes and monkeys are not halal as well lor.

McDonalds really make a big plunder this time by replacing the Pig (or Boar) with a cupid and called them 12 Zodiac collection. And the staff at the counter said the Pig was replaced because of Halal restriction. :bsmilie:

Read on.

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_474368.html

seems the management taught them to reply this way. i got the same ans when i said "wat the hell is cupid doing up there"

They are not incorrect in taking out the pig.... the pig in Islam is an extremely unclean animal, physically and spiritually. (The story of Jesus casting demons from a man into a herd of unlucky pigs that next went on to jump off a cliff in sucide for some reason condemn ALL pigs to being unclean)

So imagine u are a halal restaurant and you have a figure of a pig.... a very HARAM (forbidden) object in the restaurant, u are definitely going to face complains from the Muslim community... It is a fact that the Muslims all over the world are undergoing a change where they are much more religious than say 40 years ago. Just look at the sudden surge of Muslim women wearing Tudung in Singapore. According to the older folks, they said in the 1930s to 1960s a tudung was not as common as now.

As for the complain... I guess McDonalds didnt expect Chinese to complain about someone like this..... but they definitely forsaw complains from the Muslim community and maybe even boycotts. Yes it makes no sense why a soft toy of a pig is such a big deal to them... but well... there are many other cases where small things are taken out of context.... I guess McDonalds rather avoid that route....

It is definitely not a big deal to our modern generation, just that unless these misconception are removed, there will always be pool of misleading intepretation resulting in unnecessary unrest. Just that I find it so funny that marketing people can think so meticulously into removing the pig.

Halal do not include toys as I know and such attempt may give the impression that the misled is correct. One generation teaching the wrong thing to another. Imagine the 12th Zodiac is now the cupid, self deceive. In fact fault MD for misleading ads bec they use 12 Zodiac.

But I like one of the replies. Offending the minority is called insensitive but offending the majority is call senseless point. :bsmilie: But this is reverse to our neighbour country. Thus marketing sensitivity becomes crucial. But I agree that this is isolated to McDonalds problem.

I recall there was another complaint where the Santa Clause decoration was replaced by rat or bull cartoon. Then there last year design in Chinatown where you hang light pink cloth across the street that appears white in the day, which symbolises demise of the state. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
McDonalds really make a big plunder this time by replacing the Pig (or Boar) with a cupid and called them 12 Zodiac collection. And the staff at the counter said the Pig was replaced because of Halal restriction. :bsmilie:

Read on.

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_474368.html

like that chum leh

not like you are going to eat the pig on the zodiac collection what....

should replace all except for chicken, ox, goat.. :bsmilie:

cupid is halal now?? :bsmilie::bsmilie:

So imagine u are a halal restaurant and you have a figure of a pig.... a very HARAM (forbidden) object in the restaurant, u are definitely going to face complains from the Muslim community... It is a fact that the Muslims all over the world are undergoing a change where they are much more religious than say 40 years ago. Just look at the sudden surge of Muslim women wearing Tudung in Singapore. According to the older folks, they said in the 1930s to 1960s a tudung was not as common as now.

its a toy!

put the pig, the muslims complain. dont put the pig, the chinese complain.

then how like that? take it easy folks! dont blow a small thing like this out of proportion!

hmm. actually McDonalds called them the Lucky Charms rite. no mention of them being a Zodiac collection??
Pple just assumed them as a Zodiac collection.

i'm just wondering... if you'd notice... there are some Pig Skin shoes sold by Puma and they are being displayed openly. are these shoes considered not halal? can a muslim wear this kind of shoes? can even a muslim staff handle such shoes?

i'm just wondering... if you'd notice... there are some Pig Skin shoes sold by Puma and they are being displayed openly. are these shoes considered not halal? can a muslim wear this kind of shoes? can even a muslim staff handle such shoes?

from wiki

In religiously diverse countries, leather vendors are typically careful to clarify the kinds of leather used in their products. For example, leather shoes will bear a label identifying the animal from which the leather was taken. In this way, a Muslim would not accidentally purchase pigskin leather, and a Hindu could avoid cow leather.

I think McDonald's Singapore has made a really big boo boo.

First and foremost, there is nothing wrong with having the Zodiac symbol of a Pig being used, as it is not being served as a food item. As such, I'm sure Singapore Muslims are discerning enough to know that it is just a figurine, and not like we are expecting the Muslims to eat or even idolize it - which would be Haram.

Even if they were to serve chicken that was not slaughtered according the proper Islamic rites, it would still not be considered Halal. The slaughter should be humane and at same time, to give thanks to God.

Bottomline, McDonald's just didn't think it through thoroughly on this issue.

My 2 cents.

If McDonald is selling those toys in Malaysia, there is a very high chance of population of extremists who may not be tolerant to the doraemon pig figurine.

They can probably sell release the pig figurine sale via a separate distributor for sensitive countries.

The MUIS is extremely important to our country affecting everyone. Imagine army cannot call out their marching commands and you cannot sing the national anthem. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

McDonalds is only a profit centric org and they are careful not to irate those noisy but stubborn religious activists.

The irony in life is everywhere. Smoking, drinking, drugs are considered bad, but we have people from any background who will abuse these substance.

Pork is only meat, which is by far less harmful than drugs and alcohol..
What good is a man who abstain from holding a pig toy by day, but by night is hugging girls in bikini and soaked in alcohol and ice?

A balance healthy life with discipline and holiness is what most religion teaches. the rest are just guidelines to make one better.

i'm not going to McD.

the animal zodiac is a chinese culture, i rather they dun mess ard with it

so they sell beef,...r the indians going to complain as the cow is a sacred animal to them?

i'm not going to McD.

the animal zodiac is a chinese culture, i rather they dun mess ard with it

so they sell beef,...r the indians going to complain as the cow is a sacred animal to them?

Agree. Have blacklisted them long time back.

Just received the brouchure yesterday in my mail box. I was so surprised to find the boar missing in the list! Anyway, such a small amulet need to pay $2 in addition to the Mc'Value' meal purchased. Really stupid.

Also, I'm also shocked that the new Mc'Value' meal that they've just introduced caused $7-$9! It's some beef patty with black peper with twisted fries or something. :angry:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.