We are number 5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think ordinary people go to these places to eat.
I don't think they are as great as they are described.
Chances are, the accolade gets to their heads and they are already arrogant.

Stay far away from eateries in the so-called Asia's "best 10" or "best 20" list.

Lots of good dining elsewhere in plain places at down to earth prices.

Last edited:
Maybe I am a animal, swallow whatever edible (except bitter or spicy), I don't bother which place got nice food or not. Cause after that, you pass them out as shyt but the $ spend on it, can get you another few more meals.

I don't think ordinary people go to these places to eat.
I don't think they are as great as they are described.
Chances are, the accolade gets to their heads and they are already arrogant.
Stay far away from eateries in the so-called Asia's "best 10" or "best 20" list.
Lots of good dining elsewhere in plain places at down to earth prices.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes

I have been to a few of the restaurants in the top 20 list (not on my tab). To be honest, for a hawker center guy like me, the food portion is really "fine" dining. However, what sets these restaurant apart from others is the decor and ambience, exquisite cutleries, selection of wine, knowledgable and attentive caucasian waiters, etc. As for the food, I am sure they are of the finest ingredient available, that is if your taste palette can tell them apart.

On 11 July 13 after reading the thread, picked randomly one of the restaurants on the list and surfed customer reviews.
These are the first two reviews listed (probably most recent).
I am sure there are good reviews too.

Different people do get different treatment and experiences at restaurants.
Some restaurant captains/wait staff may look at your nationality, (skin colour?), status, wealth, power and fame - or lack of; and treat you accordingly.

The message is that often these best 10 lists are what we call "puffing statements". And that if one is just an ordinary Joe who eats often at hawker centres (that's me), then these eateries on the so-called "best 10" lists may not be ideal.

"Not all that"

Reviewed 11 July 2013 NEW

This was to be the dinner of my trip, but sadly was below much of the
street eats. We ordered around half a dozen dishes and only the pork
cheek was good and the rest below average. The food was flabby in the
mouth and lacking fresh herbaceous characters and balance normally
associated with thai food. The service was slow...

"Indifference Service"
Reviewed 9 July 2013 NEW
I found the food to be not up to the great review. Most disappointing part
the arrogance restaurant manger. I think This guy need to be sack.
Refuse to seat us and just general arrogance. Avoid this restaurant.

Last edited:
On 11 July 13 after reading the thread, picked randomly one of the restaurants on the list and surfed customer reviews.
These are the first two reviews listed (probably most recent).
I am sure there are good reviews too.

Different people do get different treatment and experiences at restaurants.
Some restaurant captains/wait staff may look at your nationality, (skin colour?), status, wealth, power and fame - or lack of; and treat you accordingly.

The message is that often these best 10 lists are what we call "puffing statements". And that if one is just an ordinary Joe who eats often at hawker centres (that's me), then these eateries on the so-called "best 10" lists may not be ideal.

you do know that most of these "reviewers" do not have a culinary background, right?

most of them go to these restaurants on a whim, but do not even know what different types of cuisine should taste like.

afterwards, they post reviews based on their very limited knowledge.

when i go to restaurants, i don't read reviews beforehand.

i try it out and discern whether it's good or not (based on my own experience)

like once, i had ramen at Menya Musashi. the texture, presentation and taste reminded me of the ramen back in Japan. yet, most of my friends here think that it's a rip-off and that it doesn't taste like what ramen should taste like (they've been eating too much of the ramen in local ramen shops, which to me is pretty bland and tasteless, lacking in character).

so, take all those reviews with a pinch of salt, and go try out the dishes for yourself and you be the judge.

I think a plate of chwee kueh with a generous portion of chaipo n chilli gives me higher satisfaction. :bsmilie:

And that if one is just an ordinary Joe who eats often at hawker centres (that's me), then these eateries on the so-called "best 10" lists may not be ideal.
Taking this as your baseline for culinary knowledge - but why do "recommend" to 'stay away' without the slightest clue?