WB using PS CS2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeryltan

Jan 5, 2006
s5.photobucket.com
I was told CS2 cando WB for .jpg files? Anybody knows where I can find this feature? I've searched through all the dropdown menus without success :dunno:

Tks bro.. I go look again.. Didn't seeit last night..Or is it only available for .raw files? 'COs someone told me .jpg also can..

geoyip said:
Under "image" (top menu) >> adjustment >> color balance

PS doesn't have a special WB interface for jpeg files like they have for RAW, since WB info isn't stored in the jepg file. Its just listed in exif which is for yr info and of no practical value to PS.

Colour balance is pretty vague... isn't straight fwd to use unless you know specifically how to compensate for colour casts.

A better interface is variations, which was adpated from the traditional darkroom. Allow you to see the effect of the various colour "filters". Its under adjustments as well. Gives you more feedback and its more intuitive.

I love using "click white balance" in DPP.. Find it veryeasy to use.. Just as Isuspected, WB isn't available for .jpg :(

solarii said:
PS doesn't have a special WB interface for jpeg files like they have for RAW, since WB info isn't stored in the jepg file. Its just listed in exif which is for yr info and of no practical value to PS.

Colour balance is pretty vague... isn't straight fwd to use unless you know specifically how to compensate for colour casts.

A better interface is variations, which was adpated from the traditional darkroom. Allow you to see the effect of the various colour "filters". Its under adjustments as well. Gives you more feedback and its more intuitive.

jeryltan said:
Tks bro.. I go look again.. Didn't seeit last night..Or is it only available for .raw files? 'COs someone told me .jpg also can..

It works on jpeg and not raw. If you're shooting raw then your're better off using a raw converter to do your WB adjustment.

If you shoot jpeg and need to adjust for color cast, "PS color balance" does the job.

Tks for the tip..

geoyip said:
It works on jpeg and not raw. If you're shooting raw then your're better off using a raw converter to do your WB adjustment.

If you shoot jpeg and need to adjust for color cast, "PS color balance" does the job.

Can try using the Auto Levels functions in PS...

Auto levels can work but it isn't very reliable. Some times it doesn't neutralise the colour casts, at others it can even introduce its own unwanted cast. And sometimes it can do a brilliant job.

No harm in trying but don't expect it to work. Success rate's ard 50-60%. If you want to use it, I suggest you reduce the highlight and shadow clipping to no more than 0.05%. 0.5% is way too much. Also select snap neutral midtones.

just recommending a possible quick fix...can also use levels, find a neutral spot and clicking with grey dropper...

colour balance ok for colour casts but not really that intuitive for WB...

in any case, diff people have diff WB preference...some like it warmer, some cooler...most important is to adjust to your preference...

me, I use curves... :)

it is auto color in CS2.

I think it is very good. Everytime my camera get wrong WB in jpeg, the auto color makes the picture quite close to the correct WB. Not perfect but a very good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.