WB - indoor flash with tungsten background lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT 3833

Sep 23, 2006
Hi all,
recently I saw a wedding dinner photo of a friend of mine. I notice one strange characteristic on the color of the photo and I am thinking to ask for some advice.

The photo is taken in a restaurant, with very intensive tungsten lighting all over the place, a typical restaurant setting. The photographer, I suspect, must have used the flash WB setting, so the guests and host in the photo are all exposed with adequate WB. However, because of the strong tungsten backlight, other than the table and the people get the correct color tone, the whole background is rather overly yellowish.

So question - is there any solution to get better or more balanced WB under such situations? Would using a warm filter plus setting the WB to tungsten or close to tungsten temperature helps?

I hope I have explained my question and scenario clearly enough. Thanks.

Cover the flash with tungsten filter and then shoot in tungsten WB setting.

Thanks. Is there anyother method?
If using a tungsten filter, I guest one have to switch to color temperature mode or preset WB(using one of those grey card method) mode in order to get the correct WB?

Since this is a mixed lighting condition, and you can't set your WB in between, so what the photographer do is the most easier way, which is also widely accepted, if you want to bring the two WB closer or the same, three methods can be use here.

#1 method is as what zac08 have mention, but you loss at least one stop on your flash power since you attach a filter on your flash.

#2, shoot with ambient light only, and set your camera WB to the ambients light.

#3, filter all the ambient lights to the same as the flash WB.

Since this is a mixed lighting condition, and you can't set your WB in between, so what the photographer do is the most easier way, which is also widely accepted, if you want to bring the two WB closer or the same, three methods can be use here.

#1 method is as what zac08 have mention, but you loss at least one stop on your flash power since you attach a filter on your flash.

#2, shoot with ambient light only, and set your camera WB to the ambients light.

#3, filter all the ambient lights to the same as the flash WB.

#2 and #3 are out imho.

sometimes u just need flash to fire away.you cant always use high iso and tripod.

#3 restaurant definitely wont allow you to filter their lights.also, even if they do, wont that be too troublesome?:dunno:

i'd say use a filter and shoot with ur flash...

to be safe... shoot in raw so u can adjust the WB later...

OR

if u don't have a filter... shoot in raw, then during PP create 2 images for the subject and background, compensating for their individual WB, then merge the 2 pix together... much harder and more troublesome...

#2 and #3 are out imho.

sometimes u just need flash to fire away.you cant always use high iso and tripod.

#3 restaurant definitely wont allow you to filter their lights.also, even if they do, wont that be too troublesome?:dunno:
I only provide the methods, workable or not is up to individuals.

Thanks to all of you who have provided your valuable feedback, suggestions and comments in one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.