Wb - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Is there any solution to images which its WB are inaccurate? How do we remedy that? Photoshop? How?

Any suggested WB settings for various occasions, i.e. wildlife and such for Canon DSLRs? As you can see, I'm relatively new to this...

TIA! `;)

For me, when shooting wildlife with the D30 the WB is often inaccurate. If I use auto, there will be a blue cast, and if I use daylight or cloudy or flash, there will be a greenish-yellow cast. So usually I'd use auto white balance, and then use Levels in photoshop, select the "blue"channel, and reduce the midtones to about 0.85 to 0.90. That usually gives me a more accurate colour rendition. There are many other (perhaps more "correct") ways to do it, but this method works for me. :)

Originally posted by AdamGoi
Is there any solution to images which its WB are inaccurate? How do we remedy that? Photoshop? How?

Any suggested WB settings for various occasions, i.e. wildlife and such for Canon DSLRs? As you can see, I'm relatively new to this...

TIA! `;)

you can shoot in RAW mode and later change to any WB u like ..... usually for animal shots , I will shoot in CLOUDY WB

Try not to use Auto, it's usually not accurate, probably erring on the cold side as well. Try something like Cloudy which should give good effect, with a slight warmth. (Nikon D1X/D1H/D100 users have the option of further tweaking the colour temperature of a preset up and down 3 units in-camera)

If you happened to shoot JPEG with slightly off WB, use PS7 Image->Adjustments->Auto Colour. That should fix such problems 90% of the time.

Regards
CK

Another cheap and quick fix for an overall color cast on the entire image would be to use the Variations tool in photoshop. Don't forget the hue/saturation tool as well.:)

Another easier way is to use the levels adjustment in PS and click the white eyedropper on any part of your image that is supposed to be white and the black eyedropper on any part of your image that is supposed to be black.

That should remove any colour cast on your image.

Status
Not open for further replies.