WB - Color Temperature WB cover full range of WB that could be achieved by preset WB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT 3833

Sep 23, 2006
Hi,
hope some expert could advise.

I was playing with my D80 WB using color temperature to shoot under fluorascent light. Tried various setting from 2500-9900(smaller steps between 3000-5000) but just was unable to get a good WB.

I used a blank A4 paper and set the D80 using WB pre-set function, the color of the picture turned out to be quite sweet.

So I switched back to color termperaure function to shoot between 3500-6000 by narrowing down the steps, however still unable to get the WB that I like, or that was close to the WB that was using pre-set funtion.

My question is, does color temperture range of 2500-9900 cover the full range of WB that could be achieved by pre-set function? or the pre-set function has got WB setting that cannot be achieved by the color temperture setting?

Thanks!

fluorascent light

you can't get correct WB by setting the color temperature, cos it leak of some color spectrum, especially red, so it bias green.

so best way is to do a custom WB for fluorascent light.

Catchlights,
thank you very much for your valuable input. This is really new to me.

Pardon my question, so it means that pre-set WB could achieve a WB level that could not be achieved by using color temperature at times?

yes, let's say at some situation, you have a color cast on your subject, there is no way that you can use preset setting or fine tune color tem to correct it, so the best way is to do custom WB balance, beside fluorescent light, mercury vapour lighting also can't get good WB.

thanks again Catchlights,

no wonder I struggled with WB in some situations in my recent trip. Especially in those very cold morning and overcast condition. Just was unable to get the desired WB regardless the WB setting I choose or set. Unfortunately I did not have grey card with me nor did I think of shooting in RAW.

Thanks once again.

very cold morning and overcast condition has blue tint, you should able to use fine tuning color temperature to get the desire WB, try 6000 and above..

Status
Not open for further replies.