Ways to store DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolride

Oct 3, 2007
West
I read about the storage for camera in the Nikon guide.

It stated that “If the camera will not be used for an extended period, remove the battery to prevent leakage and store the camera in a plastic bag containing desiccant. However do not store the camera in a plastic bag, as this may cause the material to deteriorate.”

Would desiccant prevent the material to deteriorate?

Please share your view on the preferred storage method

1) in a plastic bag containing desiccant
2) in a plastic air-tight plastic box containing desiccant
3) in a dry cabinet
4) does not store the camera
5) others

Cheers

I leave it on top of the book shelf so that I can quickly reach it to snap pictures of my baby daughters. Too troublesome to take the cam in and out of the airtight case, bag or even plastic bag.

Keep them all in the dry cabinet....

save your trouble.

Keep them all in the dry cabinet....

save your trouble.

example would be a digi-cabi.. cheap & good, made locally!!! :thumbsup:

I store mine in a dry cabinet :)

Dry Cabin is the way to go bro, didn't you realize the humidity level the pass few days? Dry Cabin would be able to lower the chance of mushroom on your camera due to moisture.;)

Dry cabin is e best.

I leave it in the dry cabinet. Did not take out the battery, as I use it almost every other day. :bsmilie: Use it often, then don't need to store it lor. hehe :bsmilie:

An advise I got from service ctr.

"
It is advisable that you take our the battery when the camera will not be
use for a prolong period of time to prevent leakage.
However do not that the camera information such as date may have to be set.

The proper way of storage should be in a dry cabinet or box with silicon
gel.
The danger of enclosing the camera together with silicon gel in an air tight
plastic bag is that there is a risk of drying up the rubber part of the
camera thus resulting in cracking of the rubber part and that will depend
how much silicon gel is being placed.

The safest way is to purchase a dry box with silicon compartment.
"

example would be a digi-cabi.. cheap & good, made locally!!! :thumbsup:

Went to Tang earlier and they were selling a dry cabinet called "Value", also local design but made in Taiwan.

Is it good? Cost wise, sale now at around $300 for a 93L storage and about 1 m high.

Have anyone used the VacuumSaver before, any comment?

VacuumSaver / VAM-5101
http://www.vacuumsaver.com/new/photo&electronics_vacuumsaver_vam5101.htm

I plan to get a value for money small stroage for 1 to 2 cameras only.

Currently I am using a air-tight " lock & lock" type plastic box with desiccant, which need to replace the desiccant or silicon gel once a while.

Haha..same here. I'm just using a air-tight box with a layer of silica gel at the bottom. It only contains my 2 lens though (not big enough for my camera in as well). My camera stays in the camera bag with a small pack of silica gel (the kind you get when you buy new bags or shoes). Going to upgrade to a bigger air-tight box soon =( no money to buy dry cabi..still studying

hi i just got a dry cabinet also. at what percentage humidity should i store my dslr? lowest about 20%, highest 60%.

hi i just got a dry cabinet also. at what percentage humidity should i store my dslr? lowest about 20%, highest 60%.

Aim for 40% to 50%, check the manual that comes with your dry cabinet.

Haha..same here. I'm just using a air-tight box with a layer of silica gel at the bottom. It only contains my 2 lens though (not big enough for my camera in as well). My camera stays in the camera bag with a small pack of silica gel (the kind you get when you buy new bags or shoes). Going to upgrade to a bigger air-tight box soon =( no money to buy dry cabi..still studying

Bro,
You can get a very big Komax - Biolips 11.5L air-tight for around S$20 only, from NTUC. Just nice for 2 cameras or 1 camera with lens on and 2 more lenses.

I am thinking of getting the Digi Cabi DB-036, 30L, costing around S$100 which use only 5W of power. It would save the trouble of changing the desiccant.

I was also looking at VacuumSaver / VAM-5101, which is big enough for 1 camera with lens on and 1 more lens or 2, which does not use electricity. Curious to know the performace.

Any user's comment for VacuumSaver / VAM-5101, what is the price?

Information from the Web.

Item No. VAM-5101

Capacity 11.5L
Size L30.2*W22.8*H25.5 cm

Digital camera, films, lenses, video camera ,discs, precious metal, jewelry, silverware, artworks and many others can suffer from the harmful effects of moisture. Only providing a stable vacuum environment could be your personal collection box.

Unique Features
Equipped LCD panel with digital humidity meter to guide inside humidity level. LED green and red light could signal user humidity safety range as follow:

Light
Humidity Range
Function

Green Light
within user’s own set up range
Blinking every 7 seconds

Red Light
exceed user’s set up range
Blinking every 5 seconds

Special air layer cushion would be bulged after vacuum seal to protect stored articles tightly.

No electricity is required to create vacuum environment.

Portable, easy to carry anywhere.

VacuumSaver Features

Hidden air-pump system attached to the saver. Able to pump air out rapidly and won’t lose its pump.

Innovative vacuum indicator button confirms vacuum condition.

High resistant silicone gasket to afford vacuum pressure and secure vacuum seal efficiency.

All the savers “nest” inside design to minimize storage space when not in use.

Modern and ergonomic design, easy handling and accessing to open the saver.

I use an air tight plastic container, with drying and anti fingus agent inside. Enough to store 1 camera with 3 lenses.

Would get a dry cabi if i have the $ though

I am considering to get a Digital Hydrometer for my air-tight box, which cost only $20 from digihub.com, which is used for their Digi Cabi Dry Cabinet.

Contemplating using a air-tight box with Digital Hydrometer and desiccant, total cost below $45 + desiccant replacement or a Dry Cabinet at around $110 + power bill.

Not sure if it is worth the money for a Dry Cabinet + maintenance for less than $2K camera and lens.

The calculated power cost per month is around $1, $12 per year.
Yearly desiccant cost is around $5 to $8.

Over 5 years, the cost of Dry Cabinet is $85 more than air-tight box option or $17 extra per year.

Estimated Cost 5 Years - assume 5 years depreciation

Air-tight box + Digital Hydrometer + Desiccant = $20 + $20 + $8 X 5 = $80 for 5 years or $16 per year, 6th years onwards, $8 per year and potential replacement cost of $20 for Digital Hydrometer

Dry Cabinet + Power = $110 + $12 X 5 = $170 for 5 years or $34 per years, on 6th years onwards $12 per year and potential replacement & repair ???

Hence Air-tight box + Digital Hydrometer + Desiccant cost $90 less over the 5 years than Dry Cabinet or $18 less per year.

However what is the part replacement / repair cost for the Dry Cabinet after warranty on the 6th year onwards?

Any advise on the part replacement or repair for the drying unit?

I am considering to get a Digital Hydrometer for my air-tight box, which cost only $20 from digihub.com, which is used for their Digi Cabi Dry Cabinet.

Contemplating using a air-tight box with Digital Hydrometer and desiccant, total cost below $45 + desiccant replacement or a Dry Cabinet at around $110 + power bill.

Not sure if it is worth the money for a Dry Cabinet + maintenance for less than $2K camera and lens.

The calculated power per month is around $1, $12 per year.
Yearly desiccant cost is around $5 to $8.

Over 5 years, the cost of Dry Cabinet is $85 more than air-tight box option or $17 extra per year.

However what is the part replacement for the Dry Cabinet after warranty on the 6th year onwards?

Any advise on the part replacement or repair for the drying unit?
I would said you should go for dry cabinet.
#1, it would not cost more than $1 per month (probably less than $0.50), and it is maintenance free
#2, Dry Cabinet hardly brake down.
#3, you have to keep replacing silica gel every now and than, recycle them or buy new cost more time and money for long run.
#4, if you forgot to maintain silica gel, you put your camera at risk.
#5, fungus clearing for one camera and one lens will cost more than a smaller size of dry cabinet, it is will not guarantee wouldn't happen again.
#6, $99 is only less than 5% of $2000 (camera and lens)
#7, you can sleep better at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.