Ways to stablise a FOC tripod

small pig

May 17, 2011
Punggol
This thread may be a bit ridiculous, but just want to hear if any bros here do it be4.

since, I am gg overseas, likely I will hug along the FOC Nikon tripod for shoot. But I realised that, once my camera on top (D700 and SB400 and 50mm 1.8g), it tends to like shaky . Not good long exposure shot.

Anyway to modify the tripod for this trip. I am abit reluctant to lug a heavy tripod along or buy a Carbon tripod for this purpose.

The center column got hook at bottom? Can hang your bag to it, make the tripod more steady. Just make sure the total weight of your camera + bag + stuff weight less than the tripod max allowable weight, or you will have a new camera + lens soon :bsmilie:

small pig said:
This thread may be a bit ridiculous, but just want to hear if any bros here do it be4.

since, I am gg overseas, likely I will hug along the FOC Nikon tripod for shoot. But I realised that, once my camera on top (D700 and SB400 and 50mm 1.8g), it tends to like shaky . Not good long exposure shot.

Anyway to modify the tripod for this trip. I am abit reluctant to lug a heavy tripod along or buy a Carbon tripod for this purpose.

Be gentle with the FOC tripod.

I used abit too much strength to pull out one of the legs, and the plastic clip broke. And the tripod cant be used anymore. And it happened in overseas. Lol

Be gentle with the FOC tripod.

I used abit too much strength to pull out one of the legs, and the plastic clip broke. And the tripod cant be used anymore. And it happened in overseas. Lol

The Nikon hook is plastic? In comparison the one from canon is metal.... also FOC

The Nikon hook is plastic? In comparison the one from canon is metal.... also FOC

I think he meant the clip on the leg and not the hook. Not sure what Nikon gave out... though, but I am not too excited about FOC tripod... even the Canon's one is not that amazing.

Anyway, use your bag as stabilizer like what Johnjon had suggested... however if it was the tripod head that was shaky... then there is nothing to be done... except to use massive amount of duct tape. Or just forget about tripod and get yourself a monopod or use freehand.

The center column got hook at bottom? Can hang your bag to it, make the tripod more steady. Just make sure the total weight of your camera + bag + stuff weight less than the tripod max allowable weight, or you will have a new camera + lens soon :bsmilie:
Please make sure the bag touches the ground and is not swinging. Otherwise this method will rather 'improve' the instability ...

Please make sure the bag touches the ground and is not swinging. Otherwise this method will rather 'improve' the instability ...

haha, the pendulum effect. (iirc) I think the bag must be as close to the ground as possible, but not touching.

SkyStrike said:
haha, the pendulum effect. (iirc) I think the bag must be as close to the ground as possible, but not touching.

Actually touching is good. Then secure the top of the bag to the centre hook using those bungee cords with hooks at the end, those type they use to secure stuff at the rack of motorcycles and bicycles

Actually touching is good. Then secure the top of the bag to the centre hook using those bungee cords with hooks at the end, those type they use to secure stuff at the rack of motorcycles and bicycles

ooo..ic..cos the hooks that i used is the "key-chain" hook. non-elastic...

but well, I don't use that tripod already, so haven't been using this method since then.

Curious to know why a flash is mounted. :bsmilie:

small pig said:
For night land scape portraits

I see.. Have you tried triggering the setup and handhold your flash? You can control the lighting better this way. :)

i realised the shaky part is the tripod plate that is connected to the pan head.

I find the FOC Nikon tripod not as steady although I have some weight hooked. I was using my friend's D90 with 18-200mm on this tripod. Very shaky. :confused:

I think he meant the clip on the leg and not the hook. Not sure what Nikon gave out... though, but I am not too excited about FOC tripod... even the Canon's one is not that amazing.

I find the FOC Nikon tripod not as steady although I have some weight hooked. I was using my friend's D90 with 18-200mm on this tripod. Very shaky. :confused:

OT: On the contrary, the FOC tripod from Canon is quite steady (but weight abt 1.5kg), esp if it's centre hooked. Except that the ballhead given is not as "fluid".

IF you really want to modify your FOC tripod to stabilised it, either you have to stiffen it or damp out any oscillating movement. Either way, you will be adding bulk and weight to your FOC tripod.

there are trade off and compromises.
my best advice is look for a decent and small tripod that cost around $200 that may just hold your kit adequately.

zzz can afford D700 but no money for tripod....

dun regret it if your tripod give way and your D700 goes bye bye

i realised the shaky part is the tripod plate that is connected to the pan head.

Btw... what is the brand and model of your FOC tripod. Actually I would suggest against it. Either use free hold, monopod or steadpod... but not the FOC tripod if you find it unstable... because even when it look stable after everything you try (even duct taping the tripod plate to the pan head... a gust of wind might bring your whole setup down to the ground... or worst - cliff.

to support your multi-thousands dollars setup... better get something reliable.

If seriously wanted to try out those FOC tripod... then at the very least, ensure that the camera is at all time 'connected' to you... such that, never let the neck strap leave your... neck... so that when the tripod fail, you can still rescue your camera in an instance.

Last edited:
Hey, dun save the money. Buy a decent tripod. I bought my at around the $158 at TK foto. I try using the foc tripod with d7000, 18-270 w/o flash it already shaking. With ur setup it will be worst. Dun save $ if u really need to spend it, if not u might end up spending more.:) my 2cent advise.

OT: On the contrary, the FOC tripod from Canon is quite steady (but weight abt 1.5kg), esp if it's centre hooked. Except that the ballhead given is not as "fluid".

I got the Canon FOC tripod T3-3510. Being my 1st and only tripod I don't know is good or not, read everywhere free tripod always bad... The ballhead not very steady though, will creep a bit after I lock the screw before shoot.