Ways to market photography service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sion

I am toying with the idea of a mail marketing promotion. I came up with two ways of doing it:

1. Burn portfolo into CDs and mail them out with a cover letter and name card introducing your service.

2. Print 500 copies of a 2-fold A4 leaflet featuring your best works on it and mail them out. Basically the photos are in thumbnail size to squeeze in both sides of the leaflets.

I think method 2 is cheaper in postage and potential clients do have have to stick the CD into the computer to view your works.

Like to hear feedbacks and suggestions from all.

Thanks.

Mainly product photography and some small commercial on-location assignments.
I see, so you know who is your targets.

would you consider have your own site first, and email them a intro email with link to your site?

I have tried cold call to set up meeting before, find that if you are more proactive, will get better results.

I see, so you know who is your targets.

would you consider have your own site first, and email them a intro email with link to your site?

I have tried cold call to set up meeting before, find that if you are more proactive, will get better results.

Potential targets would be small ad or design agencies or one-man show designers. Local market here is geographically spread out and fragmented.

At this stage I don't have a site as I mainly deal with middlemen. Anyone who likes to see my work I just give them a link to my photobucket portfolio. A site is a great idea as it doesn't involve postage, printing cost, portfolio CDs and the time to burne them etc.

How do you find out the email addresses of potential clients? You have to ring to find out. Won't you?

I find the company listing from yellow page, call each one to find out who should I contact, during that time is still pre digital, no internet.

than I contact each of art director / designer and talk to them, set up meeting if they would like to see my works.

anyway nowadays I shoot weddings and studio portraits mainly, not serving agencies anymore, maybe you pm Ortega to get to know how the things are working now.

I find the company listing from yellow page, call each one to find out who should I contact, during that time is still pre digital, no internet.

than I contact each of art director / designer and talk to them, set up meeting if they would like to see my works.

anyway nowadays I shoot weddings and studio portraits mainly, not serving agencies anymore, maybe you pm Ortega to get to know how the things are working now.

Cool.

Thanks for the help.

I am toying with the idea of a mail marketing promotion. I came up with two ways of doing it:

1. Burn portfolo into CDs and mail them out with a cover letter and name card introducing your service.

2. Print 500 copies of a 2-fold A4 leaflet featuring your best works on it and mail them out. Basically the photos are in thumbnail size to squeeze in both sides of the leaflets.

I think method 2 is cheaper in postage and potential clients do have have to stick the CD into the computer to view your works.

Thanks.

Hi Sion,

I got some good information from the PDN magazine. There's usually 1 issue a year that deals with marketing. One of the ways photographers can effectively market is to send out postcards quarterly. These postcards (1image/postcard) work as powerful reminders to art directors and designers that you're out there and producing good work. If the imagery is great, the postcards also get stickied on their desks and cubicle walls. And if the stuff is good, they'll be sure to check out your website.

Best regards
Wesley

Print a reasonably high quality, pocket size copy of your best shot. Add your name and contact, website on it and sign it off. You can try using PS, or even marker-written (provided you have really good handwriting).

Can act as a name card, relatively cheap, and time saving.

Since you are targetting the SMEs, you may even try to use different genre of pictures to showcase what you can offer to them. But of course, use relevant photos.

I really doubt people who recieve annoymous CDs will poke it into their drives and view your works. Sceptism is high nowadays. And i also don't think people wanna use up their time that way, especially the bosses.

Another thing, i think a private domain is much more professional that say, a imageshack or pbase collection site. The impression factor.

Just my 2c. :)

a phone call with a site visit is best
and only show your best work

bread and butter work should be left out

Thanks.

I tink you got to read up a bit on marketing. Lots of consumer research need to be done before you spend the dollars on advertising and promotion. Maximise the dollars spent is the key. Marketing promotion is not as easy as you think. Selling oneself is extremely hard.

Who is the target segment?
What are the profile characteristics of that segment?
What do they like and dislike in certain marketing tools? (Some hate leaflets, some hate mail)
Do a comprehensive research and construct a in depth analysis before you spend yr money.

Its not easy. :confused:

Have you seen or heard of “image personalized” prints? It has your name cleverly blended into the image; never fail to create an impression when your prospect received it. It has to be an image shot by you that’s relevant, meaningful or fun. And can be customized for a few hundred or thousands targeted prospects.

For example, a beach with his name in the sand or a bottle of wine in his name! Your prospects will probably not trash a postcard with his/her name on it and may just pin it on the wall for keepsake. You will at least create mind-share, be remembered when you follow up with a call. It’s a very powerful direct marketing that evoke emotions. Sends a strong msg that your IMAGE SELLS:thumbsup: .

Forget about the CD, nobody will be bothered to view it from an unknown source:thumbsd: .

well, how about viral marketing...there is only so much you can do on your own...

it'd be toones better if you could get recommended by an ex-client to a potential client :D

a phone call with a site visit is best
and only show your best work

bread and butter work should be left out

Can I ask if you show prints or us a laptop for showing of works. If prints, what's the recommended print size?

thanks

Can I ask if you show prints or us a laptop for showing of works. If prints, what's the recommended print size?

thanks

Let's put it this way. Ad agencies need to see larger than 4R prints....its not a AD wedding you are selling.

Let's put it this way. Ad agencies need to see larger than 4R prints....its not a AD wedding you are selling.

Hahaha... AD wedding I only use my lappy... didn't even show prints.

So A4 prints is good enuf? (assuming same target market as Sion mentioned)

actually, for AD / Events, laptops might be too big and bulky (unless you have something sleek like the macbook/macbook pro...)

For the sake of my back, a small portable media player (with a REALLY good bright and vibrant screen) like the Creative Zen Vision W, the Playstation Portable, etc etc would be a good idea for budding photogs.

just a sharing thought. =)

well, how about viral marketing...there is only so much you can do on your own...

it'd be toones better if you could get recommended by an ex-client to a potential client :D

heheh why dont we all MLM our services :p

Bigger is better but then can your images be printed at larger than A4 and still make it ? Once above A4 or 8x12 any mistake is very clearly seen. Issue is most Ad coys are not keen to waste CD's time on any one who want to do a show and tell ( no CD will waste their time either if ask to look/see they want to preview first no good you can fxxx off). If your images are not cutting edge forget about even getting time for a viewing. It is not about the size of the print. The industry is really run a lot by word of mouth - how well you shoot, how well you work as a team, how dependable are you - follows you are around.

Bigger is better but then can your images be printed at larger than A4 and still make it ? Once above A4 or 8x12 any mistake is very clearly seen. Issue is most Ad coys are not keen to waste CD's time on any one who want to do a show and tell ( no CD will waste their time either if ask to look/see they want to preview first no good you can fxxx off). If your images are not cutting edge forget about even getting time for a viewing. It is not about the size of the print. The industry is really run a lot by word of mouth - how well you shoot, how well you work as a team, how dependable are you - follows you are around.

thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.