Ways to avoid film from X-ray scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhoufang

Jan 19, 2002
Jurong
Visit site
After the 911 attack most airports in the world have strenghten their security by a large amount.
I know in US now it is almost impossible to request for a hand search for films, the security insist that all belongings have to go through X-ray scan and will tell you that their scanner is safe up to ISOXXXX. Here in Singapore I guess the case will be similiar. Most carry-on scanners now are safe but you will never know, and we still hear stories about fogging of film every now and then.

Come to the main point, here is two solutions that I have thinked of , both by using bulk roll film:

1. load your film into plastic canister, then you can put them in your pocket/clothes (provided not too many rolls) and because there's no metal parts you can safely walk pass the metal sensor gate before boarding.

2. Try your best to get the empty canister for Kodak T-max 3200 or any other well know brand film of that high ISO. Most scanners are labled "film safe up to ISO/ASA 1600". With the 3200 speed lable the security will have no excuse but to conduct manual check. Things to be watchful is that you have to cut the leader real nice like the original films. Also these canisters are hard to get.

What if they found out that you rolled the film urself.. hehe..

Originally posted by Klause
What if they found out that you rolled the film urself.. hehe..

That is a valid question which I've not think of before.

But I think this risk is quite low. As long as you cut the leader ferfectly then Even if the guide is a frequent T-max3200 user he still cannot be 100% sure that these are the real thing.
So unless the guide sent your film to a pure B&W processor (for your used film) or at least a CN-41 processor (to use one roll of unused film to test), wait for it to be done and point out "see! Fuji NPH III, want to cheat me?" To me it will be much easier to hand inspect the film.

Maybe you can even roll all the leader in and declare all film shooted. Then they have to be extra careful because you may take legal action if they cause any damage to your film's "recorded content", after all you have repeatedly warned them already.

I think the security refuse hand inspect just because they want to save time. Of course there's still a risk there.

This is another good reason to get a DSLR.

Just went to Thailand and requested the airport security staff at Changi Airport to handcheck my bulk loaded slide film stored in Ziploc bag. They will give u funny looks and also mumbled(or grumble), but they eventually did inspect em. Try to check in early and be POLITE when requesting. The staff at Bangkok Airport also did handchecked my film. ANd they also grumbed(Mumbled) :).

zhoufang, your point 1 doesn't work. The gate will sound. Not sure if you want to get DSLR as a reason for this film X-ray issue.

I used to be paranoid many years ago and faithfully asked for hand inspciton at every single airport I go to. Till I did a backpacking trip to Europe and realized it was VERY tiring. Worse, those darn angmohs don't speak your language and can be extremely rude to you, not to mention riducule you in their own lingo.

Being a fairly frequent traveler, since then, I just let my films (below ISO 800) go thru the machine a few times when I travel overseas. No prob. It's a psychological thing that we have...Neithe rhave I heard of anyone experiencing film fogging bcos of this.

35mm film canister is metal, not plastic. 120mm film canister is plastic if I am not mistaken.

Originally posted by Kho King
35mm film canister is metal, not plastic. 120mm film canister is plastic if I am not mistaken.

120 film (not 120mm film) has no canistor. It's film backed with a paper backing rolled onto a plastic spool.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Kho King

When your buy the AP brand bulkloader from PhotoGuide or John3:16 they give you 20 empty canister for free, the one which all ppl here don't want, remember that? That canister is plastic.

Yes all Kodak Fujifilm or konica canisters are made of metal, that is why I prefer them than the 20 plastic canister.

don't worry to much if you are using slow flim. bluestike and me went to bangkok also go throught the x-ray machine many times, no problem leh. we are using bulk load too. just snap and enjoy your trip.

went thru SG & UK airport xray with provia & sensia 400 also no problems... like David say, I think don't really need to be that paranoia.. though, I've not tried 800 & above speed film lah, so anyone tried that thru airport xray unscathe can share their experience...

..NuTs..

Originally posted by ninelives
don't worry to much if you are using slow flim. bluestike and me went to bangkok also go throught the x-ray machine many times, no problem leh. we are using bulk load too. just snap and enjoy your trip.

Originally posted by ninelives

True. I started the topic just for discussion sick.
Let's hope that by the time I've money to travel around the world to take picture, the quality of CCD/CMOS will be matching the slides today.

Status
Not open for further replies.