ways of resizing large images

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitewolf

Oct 3, 2008
Hi Guys

Need help to understand how we go about resizing images. Using 24mp and find it hard to Upload to photobucket or send emails with it as the files are very very large.
Also, if we resize the images, will it effect the picture quality when/if we are going to print poster size images...help help help...:eek::confused::embrass::dunno:

Resizing will affect the images quailty.

Hi ezhub

if it does effect the image quality, it means i still have to keep the original size into the ext. hard drive. Is that right, bro???:eek::(

To diavonex
Tanx for the link bro, but will that work on a Macbook Pro ???:dunno:

Thank you very much in Advanced for the tips/advice guys...cheers
Merry Xmas....

Hi ezhub

if it does effect the image quality, it means i still have to keep the original size into the ext. hard drive. Is that right, bro???:eek::(

To diavonex
Tanx for the link bro, but will that work on a Macbook Pro ???:dunno:

Thank you very much in Advanced for the tips/advice guys...cheers
Merry Xmas....

It's for Windows only; a 1TB external HD only cost $150.

Any image editor can resize your image. But keep the original in case you need it.

There are several options available for you to choose when resizing (smaller).

I personally use Bicubic. And when i convert to jpg I use progressive. But that is just me.

Well Faststone does not work for Mac...:cry:

Any other alternatives?
I do use Photobucket to store some images whenever i need to use email to send Images. When I was using Windows, I had ShrinkPics for software and that resizes automatically whenever i send images thru email. But unfortunately I can't find any for the Mac...Hmmm:cry:

Problem with ext. HD 1TB is they are bulky and inconvenient since I travel alot. So I use 2x500GB instead which, by the way, is cheaper n more convenient in size and no power supply to worry about, just plug n play...hehehehe

Million Tanx Diavonex, daredevil123 & ezhub for the ideas and tips you share. Hope to know u guys even better. Cheers and stay away from too much Boooooze:nono:;) Merry Xmas again

I usw Photoshop CS4, File/Scripts/Image Processor...
There are options on how large or small you want your outputs should be, it basically makes a resized copy of your photos.

when ur resize from a 4000++ by 2000++ to a 1600 by 1200 resolution

are your really able to see the difference on ur e.g. 22" LCD screen?

I find that on-screen, all is based on 72dpi screen resolution, you cant spot the difference. Just that the larger 3000-4000 file can be zoomed in much more than the 1000 pixels file, that's all. You'll find that even if you resize an image to 1dpi and compare it with another 72dpi or 300dpi file on screen, there's virtually no different. (except for the zooming-in part where you decide for your viewers how big the file you want them to download and zoom-in and maybe save for printing). If it's just for on-screen viewing, NO DIFF. That's what I found out.

I find that on-screen, all is based on 72dpi screen resolution, you cant spot the difference. Just that the larger 3000-4000 file can be zoomed in much more than the 1000 pixels file, that's all. You'll find that even if you resize an image to 1dpi and compare it with another 72dpi or 300dpi file on screen, there's virtually no different. (except for the zooming-in part where you decide for your viewers how big the file you want them to download and zoom-in and maybe save for printing). If it's just for on-screen viewing, NO DIFF. That's what I found out.

thats what i observe too...

Erm, DPI has no effect when viewing photos on LCD screens obviously, the pixel size of your screen is already fixed. It has virtually no use in discussing on-screen viewing. It's used when discussing printing.

Ask where would the image most likely be published. If it is going to be printed, do keep the full resolution file. If it is only going to be viewed on a screen, you can probably resize it to maybe 10-12mp, which is still larger than what most screens would display.

Last edited:
If you just want to resize.
my advice will be just lower your camera mp.
Like that will save you time and space.

But if you are going to crop your pix.
Will be better using photos editing software.
There are many software in the market
so denpending what you want.

Hi Guys

Need help to understand how we go about resizing images. Using 24mp and find it hard to Upload to photobucket or send emails with it as the files are very very large.
Also, if we resize the images, will it effect the picture quality when/if we are going to print poster size images...help help help...:eek::confused::embrass::dunno:

For viewing, IMHO... no difference between a 3MP and a 24MP image.

For printing wise, you can just do some simple calculations for picture size vs print size. Say, you would like to make a 8R (8 x 10 inch) print at 300dpi, then you need 2400x3000 = 7.2MP

Well Faststone does not work for Mac...:cry:

Any other alternatives?
I do use Photobucket to store some images whenever i need to use email to send Images. When I was using Windows, I had ShrinkPics for software and that resizes automatically whenever i send images thru email. But unfortunately I can't find any for the Mac...Hmmm:cry:

Problem with ext. HD 1TB is they are bulky and inconvenient since I travel alot. So I use 2x500GB instead which, by the way, is cheaper n more convenient in size and no power supply to worry about, just plug n play...hehehehe

Million Tanx Diavonex, daredevil123 & ezhub for the ideas and tips you share. Hope to know u guys even better. Cheers and stay away from too much Boooooze:nono:;) Merry Xmas again

if you are using mac, you can simply use the built in automator script to resize, quite convenient. Simply drag and drop the photos you need to resize onto the automator script icon and the pics are resized. Can't get simpler than tt =) Catch is, you can decide on the quality of the resized jpg though the outcome seems decent to me.

try using a smaller MP count, there should be an option to set that from your camera

alternatively, if you shoot RAW, you can resize your images before converting to JPEG. so you can crop and/or resize until you have the desired image dimension

Hi GUys

Ok here is my question.

I shot a photo on a 12.1 mega pixel camera.

My uncle plans to print a photo to at least 8R size... I am editing the photo in photoshop... so my image settings(in photoshop) i have not changed....below is the settings....

Setting 1 (Original)
Pixel Dimensions: 34.8M
Width: 2848
Height: 4272
-------
Document Size:
Width: 39.556
Height: 59.33
Resolution: 72 dpi
-------

Are these settings ok for me to print 8R?? Or do I have to change my resolution to 300 dpi?? if i do my setting change to this below...

Setting 2
Pixel Dimensions: 604.4M
Width: 11 867
Height: 17 801
-------
Document Size:
Width: 39.556
Height: 59.33
--------

But as can see the final file size is HUGE.... so I changed the document size and maintained the dpi at 300 and got these settings...

Setting 3
Pixel Dimensions: 34.8M
-------
Document Size:
Width: 9.493
Height: 14.24
Resolution: 300 dpi
--------

So which setting should i use??

Thanks for your time!

Regards
Siva

Hi Guys

if you sharpen it properly when resizing , no, picture quality will not be affected. i make this statement assuming a DOWNSIZING

but it depends on what size you printing.

if print small small size in shop, you use 24mgp is overkill..

...12.1 mega pixel camera.....print a photo to at least 8R size... editing the photo in photoshop...

Setting 1 (Original)

Are these settings ok for me to print 8R?? Or do I have to change my resolution to 300 dpi?? ...which setting should i use??

For simplicity , 8R photograph (i.e. 8" x 10") requires minimum 2,400 pixels by 3,000 pixels. An image of 2,848 pixels by 4,272 pixels has exceed the typical minimum requirement for 8R photo. This applies to the image encoded with 72 or 180 or 300 dpi setting.

Wow

This is really confusing guys...:dunno:
Hmmm, will this help...
What i meant, from my post, was just to down size for the convenience of emailing them to friends or whoever... Just like having ShrinkPics on Windows...

And as for printing...probably Poster Size, hence if I resize for storage, will it have any effects if I Print them out after resizing???

To Litewing
Hi there...that sounds interesting to use the automator script. Never knew what it was for.
Is it really that easy to use ??? I'll try it out soon...tanx again bros

Status
Not open for further replies.