Wayang Wayang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet1

Apr 1, 2004
has anyone heard the anti terrorist announcements at the MRT stations???
so lame... completely wayang man...
i mean like your average singaporeans care enough to report "suspicious characters" to the control station or call 999. *note: this is not a gripe about singaporeans not having enough guts, nnot caring, too selfish, too kiasi, etc... so please please dun take it outta context. it's a slippery slope to fall down,i am referring to pple in general*
IMO, it's all a facade to show Them that we are doing something about the terrorist threat.
what do u guys think?

hmmm... :think: in fact... most of our "anti terrorist" "precautions" (wow... 2 inverted commas in a row, talk about sarcasm) seem wayang wayang one. please share any other lame attempts and anti terrorism too, yeah? :D

Cheers!

I saw the signs too, and I was trying to think what signals the garmen is trying to do.

It does make the whole place less safe nowadays, as if there are good leads on potential attacks already...

take taxis lor....

so u prefer nothing to be done at all?

in a sense, when i leave my house for holidays, my lights and radio will be on. I will tell the newspaper delivery to cease for the duration of my absence and ask neighbours not to call on my household. all because i wan to do all i can to prevent my house from broken into.

isn't that wayang too?

by "wayanging", you do keep people on their toes.

i mean, the threat is really quite real round the world nowadays. Generally peaceful cities such as Madrid and Istanbul hit by terrorism really shocked me, ahving visited them just not too long ago.

It does pay to be more kiasu in this way, rather than dismissing the whole threat as wish-wash and sweeping under the carpet..

hmm.. let me rephrase this a bit...
of course i know the threat exist.i mean it did take 700 of our BEST TRAINED military personnels to catch 3 CIVILIANS on THE military island of singapore. haha. but that's another gripe for another day.
am glad as hell with the increase in police patrols and EVEN the airport spot checks(less chance of smuggling in pirated stuff. haha. but it's a small price to pay for security i guess...).
i am referring to the "cosmetic" aspect. like the below mentioned announcements which I THINK do not serve any purpose except to show pple we are doing something

Well, so if it is REALLY wayang, so what? Is it going to hurt anybody? Being precautious is better than not doing anything at all.

700 people on Tekong...send so many people complain, send too little people also complain...what's too many or too little?

Jet1 said:
has anyone heard the anti terrorist announcements at the MRT stations???
so lame... completely wayang man...
i mean like your average singaporeans care enough to report "suspicious characters" to the control station or call 999. *note: this is not a gripe about singaporeans not having enough guts, nnot caring, too selfish, too kiasi, etc... so please please dun take it outta context. it's a slippery slope to fall down,i am referring to pple in general*
IMO, it's all a facade to show Them that we are doing something about the terrorist threat.
what do u guys think?

hmmm... :think: in fact... most of our "anti terrorist" "precautions" (wow... 2 inverted commas in a row, talk about sarcasm) seem wayang wayang one. please share any other lame attempts and anti terrorism too, yeah? :D

Cheers!
if it is wayang, what then do you suggest is best to do ?

Is Singapore worth to be bombed by these international level terrorists? :confused:
This is what I have been thinking all the while despite that I know they always randomly choose their targets. :dunno:
IMO the terrorist only wants to catch the attention of USA, UK and some "big allies".

shorty said:
Is Singapore worth to be bombed by these international level terrorists? :confused:
This is what I have been thinking all the while despite that I know they always randomly choose their targets. :dunno:
IMO the terrorist only wants to catch the attention of USA, UK and some "big allies".
I do agree with you to certain extend.
But there are wannabes extremist threats that cannot be underestimated.
If things were to happen and no "wayang" was done, again, I believe people would start pointing fingers again for no pro-active action taken.

actually i think the threat REALLY exist, and more so than what most pple think... which is why all this "wayanging" is there in the first place. to ease the minds of the people. my main gripe in this is that "wayanging" provides a false sense of security for pple. we know that airport checks and patrols work (when they are doing their work anyway).
but to do very public things like the announcement and broadcasting an island (tekong) wide search for potential dangerous elements in a bid to showcase the efficiency and prowess of of our defensive force just seem wrong to me. they are more like PR attempts rather than really targetting the main threat. maybe it is to ease the average singaporean's mind that we are safe (taking our mind off the idea that we ARE one tiny island surrounded by...). maybe it's an attempt to lure back the tourist dollars (taking THEIR mind off the idea that we ARE one tiny island surrounded by...). i wouldn't know... i am not the policy maker. what do u guys think?

Well, as far we can see, the terrorist still needs land network to work. And europe is a great gateway to those "big allies" of US. While in america congtinents, to easy to run up and down. So if that is the case, then sing is safe from that.

While taiwan sxpose themselves so much that they also took aprt in anti-terrosim effort, they seem to be more concern of their local politic and nobody cares about these global terrorism. Still nothing happen or shadowing them.

I'm currently living in the UK and I can assure you that we have the same sort of things here (regular security announcements in the tube, no dustbins to be found anywhere in sensitive areas like airports and tube stations, etc), and it's definitely not wayang. I can't count the number of times the trains are delayed and stations closed because some idiot conveniently forgot to bring along his luggage. The threat here is quite real, and people take it seriously. I would hope Singaporeans take it seriously too, JI has already singled out Singapore as a target. I wouldn't want another Madrid or Bali to happen. It's really time to scrape the bo-chup attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.