Waves

Status
Not open for further replies.

roygoh

Jan 18, 2002
Northwest
Visit site
Took this on a ferry trip from Port Angeles WA to Victoria BC. What attracted me was the wave pattern and thus I gave a lot of space to capture that. Like to get some feedback on the composition and other comments. Thanks!

BC_5587.jpg

I'd even have cropped away the top 25%... Don't even show the rather distracting shoreline, just show the wave pattern

In any case, I think the wave patterns are very nicely captured. However, I'd take a different view from Rashkae in that the shoreline is not distracting - to me it would give the waves their setting. What is distracting is the clouds in the sky, which serve to do nothing except draw attention away from the wave pattern - which you are intending to showcase, not anything else.

Would crop it such that the top starts with a little sky (without clouds), then the house, then the waves. Not sure if it was possible at all at that time to just show one house, instead of the other, but imho it would be better too.

i love this shot. simplicity is beautiful.
just crop off the top to start the pic with the clouds, or without the clouds.

print this out, large print. do much more justice then.
looks beautiful.

I think the idea is really very nice, but the wave pattern and the house are competing for attention and my eye doesn't really wind up anywhere comfortably. My gut tells me that the image might be better in the horizontal format as that would better display the wave pattern and hold the horizontal lines more comfortably, although it is more interesting to use those horizontal lines in a vertical composition.

What might be interesting too would be a FE composition to deliberately bow the lines outward, so they might be used as lead in lines to draw focus to the house as opposed to competing for attention with it.

it's really beautiful! i agree with the comments above, about improving the composition such that sufficient emphasis is placed on the subject (ie the wave patterns). but while simplicity is best when it comes to composition, i am also of the opinion that some things in this world are best captured in its entirety - the whole idea of being "there and then", with the whole setting captured on frame. a photo like what roygoh had posted makes me wonder what it'd be like to be there at Port Angeles, taking in BOTH the beautiful waves and lovely clouds.
to me, it makes a good travel photo, and to this end would do better in horizontal format. but the vertical format does great in showing the horizontal wave patterns. thanks for sharing roy :)

well spotted and captured

some element on the shoreline are redundent and does nothing to your composition
I'd suggest either including the white building fully on the left and with less empty land on the right. or a tighter crop to crop away the incomplete white building and the empty land on right.

this would make a nice book cover :)

The houses distracting. the clouds ok. nature complements nature but not man made stuff. But again if just skies, clouds, shoreline, and waves not too interestig a picture, and I've trashed, ie delete from my cam and PC, many such pictures.

It is a nice setting but there is no picture yet. some foregd silhouette maybe, the sun and its rippled reflections across the regular waves are some ideas to complete the picture.

BUT if the time and the situation all you have, I do not know. I can't see what kind of picture it might be if you have walk left or right or backward (I dont suppose u can walk forward ... :)) And I think there is a case where there is no picture: the photographic moment is just not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.