Wats Ur Favourite Appeture For Taking Humans(beach Life)

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do you want to achieve in your photo?

people can be shot from f1.4 to f22. depends on you. the f stop will also be determine by the lens that is used, different lens will provide u different shoot style and angle.

I agree with ihub88's question of what you wanna achieve in your photo.. but to answer the TS's question.. i do not have any fav aperture for taking humans (beach life) ..

But sometimes its quite hard to shoot at large aperture on a sunny beach..i don't have a f1.4 lens... but I find it quite hard to shoot at f2.8 on a sunny day at the beach already...

For example.... As a rule of thumb... if using iso 100, you need shutter speed of 1/100 to shoot at f16...
To shoot at f2.8... your shutter speed is 1/3200 (5 stops difference)...
To shoot at f1.4 ... your shutter speed is 1/12800 :sweat: :sweat: (use a ND filter if you really have to shoot at f1.4 then)

Hope i din calculate wrongly.. Of course everything else depends the conditions that day, where you are shooting.. and what you wanna achieve...

cheers~

Why don't you go to the beach, and shoot all the various apetures available to you, and determine which one you like best, and then stick with it, forever!

Why don't you go to the beach, and shoot all the various apetures available to you, and determine which one you like best, and then stick with it, forever!

yes, good way to learn... but stick with it, forever!

tell me more

For me if it's a bright sunny day at the beach, f/8 or f/11. Cloudy will be f/4 or f/5.6. Indoors wise, f/4 or lower.

Seriously spazzer, there's no such thing as fav aperture size to shoot with. It all depends on what's in front of you, and what picture do you have in your mind before you pressed the shutter. You adjust the camera's settings (aperture,shutter speed = exposure) to try your best to achieve what you have in your mind.

Therefore, we cannot give you the correct answer becos there is no correct answer.
We can't read your mind or see your vision.
Only you can......

ps: if you're not sure how does changing the aperture or shutter speed affect your pictures, i suggest you google the terms and learn abt it. With the knowledge, you can then apply them to the situations you're in)

Cheers!

Seriously spazzer, there's no such thing as fav aperture size to shoot with. It all depends on what's in front of you, and what picture do you have in your mind before you pressed the shutter. You adjust the camera's settings (aperture,shutter speed = exposure) to try your best to achieve what you have in your mind.

Therefore, we cannot give you the correct answer becos there is no correct answer.
We can't read your mind or see your vision.
Only you can......

ps: if you're not sure how does changing the aperture or shutter speed affect your pictures, i suggest you google the terms and learn abt it. With the knowledge, you can then apply them to the situations you're in)

Cheers!

oo i noe about exposure but i juz wanan survey see wat r the setting u guys normally use

f2.8 and f4 are quite nice to shoot humans, make the face and body appear in focus and the background blurred away. very nice 3d effect. ;)

but tat said, at f2.8 - f4, its easy to mis-cue. be careful where u focus.. try to aim for the eyes if not the head.

Now my 5cents' worth ;)

Typically, for portrait shots, a good lens to use should fall within 85mm to 105mm, with the crop factor, it should average around 90mm, which gives the most accurate perspective to the model's face. Let's say you use a 90mm lens,a good technique to bring out the model and fade off the other distractions is by means of controlling the blurred area behind or infront of the model (DOF), I usually keep it within f4 to f5.6, this should nicely keep the model clearly focussed while blurring out the backdrop.

In sunny ambience, keep your ISO minimum, use Aperture Priority and let the cam do its work. Always, always, always use fill flash in sunny outdoors to balance the shadow area with the bright area. Having said all these, if still in doubt, use Full Program/Auto mode, Auto ISO, and flash. Cameras nowadays are smart enuff.

This is simplfying the explanations for your easy consumption, hope it helps. :)

shoot wide open at maximum aperture

push to the widest aperture but cut back for sufficient depth of field and to avoid overexposure. depth of field depends on the distance and the focal length too. trial and error to get the clutch point, as there is too many variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.