Wat's the longest FL for EOS mount mirror lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

CYRN

Nov 14, 2002
photoevangel.com
As above.

I'm tinkin of getting something around 800mm or more mirror lens, EF mount.

Anywhere to get it locally?

Also, 1 question. Is there such thing as AF for mirror lens?

buying cannon for canon arh? never heard of mirror lens with AF. this kind of lens prob have to do special order. in which case why not get the 300-800 sigmonster?

buying cannon for canon arh? never heard of mirror lens with AF. this kind of lens prob have to do special order. in which case why not get the 300-800 sigmonster?

$$$ and weight loh.

I'm looking for longest FL so that the DOF is little, therefore easier to avoid too obvious circle bokeh that they are popularly known to have.

For AF, juz asking if there's such thing in the market.

I think there was a 500mm AF mirror lens for Minolta, years ago. Not sure about Canon:dunno:

was referred to some russian made 1000mm

heard there's a canon 2400mm mirror FD mount. Anyone knows about it?

There's this 2000mm f/11 under the R mounts but I don't think it's a mirror lens. There's also another lens at 1200mm f/11 but it weighs in at over 6kg:

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/f_lens.html

I don't know if it's possible to find these lenses anymore, even in private collections. Those who own it probably wouldn't sell it.

thanks.

seems that mirror lens might not be the best solution. :( someone mentioned scopes. I'll have to look into those options as well.:think:

As above.

I'm tinkin of getting something around 800mm or more mirror lens, EF mount.

Anywhere to get it locally?

Also, 1 question. Is there such thing as AF for mirror lens?

I saw a new kind of mirror lens (at least I never saw it before) a Tokina 600mm, at Orient Photo at Sim Lim, said $600 IIRC, if that is indeed a new gen, maybe it has AF? check it out.

Culés;3038141 said:
I saw a new kind of mirror lens (at least I never saw it before) a Tokina 600mm, at Orient Photo at Sim Lim, said $600 IIRC, if that is indeed a new gen, maybe it has AF? check it out.

thanks, I'll go check it out. :)

depends how much $$ u want to throw in and how strong is your tripod...

4000mm f8 enough? around 90kg only

retail at US$40,000

depends how much $$ u want to throw in and how strong is your tripod...

4000mm f8 enough? around 90kg only

retail at US$40,000

actually.. cheap and light.

tinkin of only using monopods for birding. my 400mmf5.6 + 1.4x a little too short. but seems like general advice is really to get a proper lens.

4000mm at most see a little of mars and venus... but given Sg's sky condition, not really worth as image would be degraded by light and particle pollution even on a clear night... I dun even hav car to transport it to some place darker. :cry:

My 1200mm already can see Venus n Mars liao ... 4000mm sure can see a lot more (if you are using a good eyepiece) ... I can even see Jupiter n Saturn easily ...

but the carrying out and setting up is a bit sian ;p

My 1200mm already can see Venus n Mars liao ... 4000mm sure can see a lot more (if you are using a good eyepiece) ... I can even see Jupiter n Saturn easily ...

but the carrying out and setting up is a bit sian ;p

not sure if we are refering to the same 4000mm, cuz I tot scopes are references are more of fov and magnification.

Scopes have a FL as well ... the FOV and the magnification comes from using the eyepieces ...

normally
Mag = FL of scope / FL of lens ...
ie
if I put a 50mm lens into my 1250mm scope, I would get a magnification of 25x ...
if I put a 5mm lens into my 1250mm scope, I would get a magnification of 250x ...

of cos, like a cam, the more u "zoom" in, the lesser ur FOV ... and the faster stars/planets move out of ur view when looking at stars ... (for more info, PM me)

however as the scope has a FL as well, it can be used like a lens (attach an adaptor), though u would not get a larger mag ... but using it like an eye piece ...

hope that the explanation has been clear :)

Status
Not open for further replies.