ammox77

Feb 13, 2003
Singapore
www.henryfotography.com
overcrash said:
what is it for?
and any lens hood for the Canon G1?
Hi overcrash,

The lens hood is for to block out any unwanted lights and rays from the bright sunlight of anything very bright, well it doesn't exactaly block completely but its just only helps to reduces it. Hmm as for lens hood for G1 i'm not so sure if they have.....

Cheers,
Henry

chyeo

May 6, 2002
Woodlands
also serves as some sort of protection for your front element or filter against knocks :D

horizoner

May 30, 2003
Visit site
it does prevent light splashing during a drizzle too on the lens. There r some rubber hoods u can buy that comes in standard thread size. I bought a retractable Hoya hood with 62mm thread a few mths back.

Borrow your thread.... ;)

Hmm.. any difference between those "flower" hood and those normal ones?

So SLR lenses are using flower hoods, some are using normal ones. Any differences?

Thanks.

Zerstorer

Jul 8, 2002
Petal hoods are generally come with specific lenses and are meant to avoid vignetting with the wide angle end of most zooms.

Telephoto primes usually have only round hoods.

overcrash

Jan 30, 2002
Hougang
www.samuelgoh.net
horizoner said:
it does prevent light splashing during a drizzle too on the lens. There r some rubber hoods u can buy that comes in standard thread size. I bought a retractable Hoya hood with 62mm thread a few mths back.
first of all thanx everybody for their reply!
really clears my doubt.
next is is there any hood for 52mm thread?

A

andylee

overcrash said:
first of all thanx everybody for their reply!
really clears my doubt.
next is is there any hood for 52mm thread?
Try the hoya multi hood, but not G'teed to work with your lens.Buy at your own risk...

Flower hood only applies to the newer wide angle lens like 24-85mm lens, my 24-50 f4 dun even have flower hoods, too old lian, 1st generation mah.

overcrash

Jan 30, 2002
Hougang
www.samuelgoh.net
andylee said:
Try the hoya multi hood, but not G'teed to work with your lens.Buy at your own risk...

Flower hood only applies to the newer wide angle lens like 24-85mm lens, my 24-50 f4 dun even have flower hoods, too old lian, 1st generation mah.
any idea how much it cost?

sulhan

Staff member
May 11, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.md-sulhan.com
Hiee...

One additional thing about flower hood......they are normally used or matched with wide angles which have INTERNAL FOCUS ELEMENTS.....

The Front ring does not turn while focussing hence allowing these type of hoods to be used.

The Flower hood in some cases also help to minimise motion - especially if you do mountainous area landscape.......as the flower hood will not act like a wind cup.

A normal hood have a tendency of cupping the frontal wind that are normal at windy places....

regards,
me....

overcrash

Jan 30, 2002
Hougang
www.samuelgoh.net
thanx sulhan.
any idea of any place i can get a hoya 52mm lens hood?
wish to get one to try out on my G1.

more interested in macro photography nowadays.
thanx! :cool:

TopGun

Jan 7, 2003
Visit site
I am looking for a flower lens hood too for my minolta 7hi. It uses a 49mm thread and getting the orignal takes too long and its rather expensive. Are there any 3rd party flower lens hood available in 49mm size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom