Wat's a Good Cam for Underwater Shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EOS500N

Jul 24, 2003
www.pbase.com
need some help here please. a fren is thinking of getting a cam for scuba diving trips. any recommendations for a good cam? budget is under $1k inclusive of underwater cam housing. thanx in advance!

sehsuan said:
5050 with the Ikelite casing. and a couple of strobes, like one of the UWCS people has... :)
could u tell me more abt tis setup? wouldn't dat cost more than $1k? strobe lights n all... pls pm me if its more convenient dat way. thanx!

EOS500N said:
could u tell me more abt tis setup? wouldn't dat cost more than $1k? strobe lights n all... pls pm me if its more convenient dat way. thanx!

5050 ~ 1000+?
ikelite casing for 5050 ~ 1000+?

:sweat:

sehsuan said:
5050 ~ 1000+?
ikelite casing for 5050 ~ 1000+?

:sweat:
i have no idea which is why i need yr advice. oly c5050z is wat u're referring 2 rite? n i always have the idea dat underwater casings r pretty ex... ;p

For under $1K is a little hard, why not just get an Ixus and its underwater casing? :)

thoa_rs said:
For under $1K is a little hard, why not just get an Ixus and its underwater casing? :)
any particular reason why u suggest the ixus? need 2 gather more info b4 i let my fren noe. thanx!

i admit i'm no expert at UW photography.. but my friends at a reef eco lab are using a 5050... :)

s_wrx said:
i admit i'm no expert at UW photography.. but my friends at a reef eco lab are using a 5050... :)
having gathered much info, it appears the c5050z is the weapon of choice for uw... ;)

I guess it is the weapon of choice because it produces decent macro results, for the cam of its class. The TTL function underwater is also quite sophisticated, seldom yielding problems of overblown highlights with subjects on large patches of sand, etc.

Another plus factor for C5050 would be the MYModes setting when you can pre-set settings to be later recalled and re used. without fussing with it underwater. Generally the rule of thumb is when you are underwater, -50 off IQ,

you can get a housing and a cam for about 1 K, it would be a Canon A70 with its corresponsing Underwater Housing.... in fact well within 1K.

It also produces decent results, especially the video mode. Its macro capabilities ain't that bad either.

either way, if you(your friend) is serious about underwater photography and has the extra juice to spend, then get a C5050, if not, a A70 would be sufficient.

The actual secret/key would be to know what the cam can produce and whether it suites your shooting style, if you understand that, then it will produce wonders for you....

hope that helped..

:)

waisj said:
I guess it is the weapon of choice because it produces decent macro results, for the cam of its class. The TTL function underwater is also quite sophisticated, seldom yielding problems of overblown highlights with subjects on large patches of sand, etc.

Another plus factor for C5050 would be the MYModes setting when you can pre-set settings to be later recalled and re used. without fussing with it underwater. Generally the rule of thumb is when you are underwater, -50 off IQ,

you can get a housing and a cam for about 1 K, it would be a Canon A70 with its corresponsing Underwater Housing.... in fact well within 1K.

It also produces decent results, especially the video mode. Its macro capabilities ain't that bad either.

either way, if you(your friend) is serious about underwater photography and has the extra juice to spend, then get a C5050, if not, a A70 would be sufficient.

The actual secret/key would be to know what the cam can produce and whether it suites your shooting style, if you understand that, then it will produce wonders for you....

hope that helped..

:)
thanx a lot for the info. btw wat's -50 off IQ?

haha.... well when you are underwater, your IQ is effectively less, thus minus 50% off your original IQ, .... you will take some time to figure out why when you depress the shutter the cam doesn't fire... (one of the buttons is depressed) and stuff.

basically you reactions will be slower.

There is a new cam that has been receiving good reviews on underwater shooting,

it is the new C5060. you can actually attach a FL20 with its housing onto the C5060z on its housing. it is romoured to be able to produce TTL underawter, even with ikelite strobes.

just thought you might want to know. :D

waisj said:
haha.... well when you are underwater, your IQ is effectively less, thus minus 50% off your original IQ, .... you will take some time to figure out why when you depress the shutter the cam doesn't fire... (one of the buttons is depressed) and stuff.

basically you reactions will be slower.
woah din even noe there's such a thing til u mentioned it. ok i'll tell my fren about it. thanx!

waisj said:
There is a new cam that has been receiving good reviews on underwater shooting,

it is the new C5060. you can actually attach a FL20 with its housing onto the C5060z on its housing. it is romoured to be able to produce TTL underawter, even with ikelite strobes.

just thought you might want to know. :D
ok. but i think its way over his budget of $1k to get tis cam n housing. thanx anyway. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.