waterproof camera

axelsujin

Feb 22, 2014
Singapore
Hello everyone. I'm new here. I would like to meet many new people and learn more from all the pros here.
Basically I'm getting myself a camera for the first time and I would like some advice.I was intending to get a waterproof camera and was considering Panasonic lumix ft 5.went to courts,BD &HN.the price was woah! Around $450..But when I went to SLS to Alan photo, he quoted me 385.I was quite surprised that it was so much cheaper and when I went to song brothers, They quoted me 345!! That's like very cheap compared to the rest.anyone got any advice? All shops were quoting me for camera +8gb +case.

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I would like to meet many new people and learn more from all the pros here.
Basically I'm getting myself a camera for the first time and I would like some advice.I was intending to get a waterproof camera and was considering Panasonic lumix ft 5.went to courts,BD &HN.the price was woah! Around $450..But when I went to SLS to Alan photo, he quoted me 385.I was quite surprised that it was so much cheaper and when I went to song brothers, They quoted me 345!! That's like very cheap compared to the rest.anyone got any advice? All shops were quoting me for camera +8gb +case.

hmm generally speaking all cameras sold in big electronic stores such as Challenger, Courts, Harvey Norman etc will always be more expensive than legit shops in funan selling local sets. the difference is a tiny more (100% reliability vs probably 85%?) for exchanges if you got from big electronic stores. however i would suggest getting a 2nd hand dslr instead of a waterproof camera cause I really don't see much chances you need your camera to be waterproof (unless you frequently scuba dive/go snorkelling) but then again you can always get a waterproof case for a dslr for a small sum of money :) a dslr would allow you to handle and learn more i would believe :)

You might want to give your reasons for your choice and maybe which other models you considered, and maybe why you need a waterproof camera so the pros can give you more targeted replies. DSLR may not be for everyone epecially if you don't like the size/weight and would not bring it around ;)

You can check out the 'Price Guides' for the few usual shops in the SLS and Funan. The camera shops usually give better price as they don't have to stick with the recommended retail prices followed by the big chains... but remember to do your homework first. Don't buy things which you don't have done your homework on, as some shops give good prices but sell you other stuff at inflated prices ;p

hmm generally speaking all cameras sold in big electronic stores such as Challenger, Courts, Harvey Norman etc will always be more expensive than legit shops in funan selling local sets. the difference is a tiny more (100% reliability vs probably 85%?) for exchanges if you got from big electronic stores. however i would suggest getting a 2nd hand dslr instead of a waterproof camera cause I really don't see much chances you need your camera to be waterproof (unless you frequently scuba dive/go snorkelling) but then again you can always get a waterproof case for a dslr for a small sum of money :) a dslr would allow you to handle and learn more i would believe :)

You might want to give your reasons for your choice and maybe which other models you considered, and maybe why you need a waterproof camera so the pros can give you more targeted replies. DSLR may not be for everyone epecially if you don't like the size/weight and would not bring it around ;)

You can check out the 'Price Guides' for the few usual shops in the SLS and Funan. The camera shops usually give better price as they don't have to stick with the recommended retail prices followed by the big chains... but remember to do your homework first. Don't buy things which you don't have done your homework on, as some shops give good prices but sell you other stuff at inflated prices ;p

Thank you for replying.I was browsing through the net and YouTube and lumix ft 5 seems to be a Good and popular choice among most people.the reason Why I want a digital camera and also a waterproof one is firstly price. DSLR I believe are so much more expensive compared to the digital.I considered Olympus tg 2 as well.But I guess I prefer the lumix because of It's photo quality. I am Using it for casual swimming pool or beach shots and I also go jetskiing often. I kind of like the underwater shots.

Thank you for replying.I was browsing through the net and YouTube and lumix ft 5 seems to be a Good and popular choice among most people.the reason Why I want a digital camera and also a waterproof one is firstly price. DSLR I believe are so much more expensive compared to the digital.I considered Olympus tg 2 as well.But I guess I prefer the lumix because of It's photo quality. I am Using it for casual swimming pool or beach shots and I also go jetskiing often. I kind of like the underwater shots.

Maybe you can check out the Gopro cameras. Amazing video qualities and decent stills too.

Second the gopro series camera.

Maybe you can check out the Gopro cameras. Amazing video qualities and decent stills too.

Second the gopro series camera.

I considered that as well But gopro more suitable for video.Im looking for more stills kind..definitely I will get a go pro in the near future But for now I was just thinking of a portable camera. Mainly for stills.But if I get it from SLS song brothers.. is it advisable or not? I'm still new to this so not Sure of the black holes

I considered that as well But gopro more suitable for video.Im looking for more stills kind..definitely I will get a go pro in the near future But for now I was just thinking of a portable camera. Mainly for stills.But if I get it from SLS song brothers.. is it advisable or not? I'm still new to this so not Sure of the black holes

Looks like you have already made up you mind then just go ahead :)

If you have done your homework and check carefully then any shop should be ok

Shops that I prefer are TK foto, SLR Revolution, Click! in Funan and Cathay Photo in Penisular (disclaimer - still better to do some homework eg walking around and ask prices heh cos there's still some differences)

Happy shopping!

I was looking for a waterproof camera a couple months back too. And after my research, went with the olyumpus.

Looks like you have already made up you mind then just go ahead :)

If you have done your homework and check carefully then any shop should be ok

Shops that I prefer are TK foto, SLR Revolution, Click! in Funan and Cathay Photo in Penisular (disclaimer - still better to do some homework eg walking around and ask prices heh cos there's still some differences)

Happy shopping!

Thank you.hope to learn more from all the pro bros
I was looking for a waterproof camera a couple months back too. And after my research, went with the olyumpus.

How have you find it so far?and what Did u use your camera mainly for? Do advice me bro. And also 1 more question..
tripod stand for ft 5 yay or nay? And best place to get it?

Thank you.hope to learn more from all the pro bros

How have you find it so far?and what Did u use your camera mainly for? Do advice me bro. And also 1 more question..
tripod stand for ft 5 yay or nay? And best place to get it?

The TG2 is mostly used for family shots in the pool and also as my wife's daily shooter. So far it has been good. The reason I avoided the FT5 is because there have been a lot of reports of the lens fogging up in the previous version "FT4"... (ie moisture leak) and the reported very short battery life of the FT5.

Last edited: