watermarking images

Status
Not open for further replies.

theroo

May 12, 2007
do you guys think watermarking images is essential?

i do see a lot of top photographers who dont watermark (and some not so good ones who do haha) but i guess the worry is that there are annoying people out there who DO steal images from other photographers. but honestly I think sometimes watermarks can ruin an image, esp if your logo or whatever is not that great.

what do you guys think? in a place like singapore i think it's quite hard to steal other singaporena photographers' images, but do u think the integrity of the community will stand firm on a larger basis?

what do you guys think? in a place like singapore i think it's quite hard to steal other singaporena photographers' images, but do u think the integrity of the community will stand firm on a larger basis?

The Internet has no borders, although some countries and governments are still unable to accept the fact. On the other hand: some people think that the Internet is a huge area free of laws. Search for 'copyright' here in the forum and you'll get numerous discussions and incidents around the topic - not only limited to Singapore.
Watermarking can also be a referrer to the website / portfolio of the photographer. it can be a remark but it can be a nuisance (as you have noticed). Decide for yourself when it is necessary to insert a remark about you being the photographer.
Personally, I don't watermark when using the images among family and friends or when the images are just snapshots without specific value.

save your time. don't bother. there're really better things to do. if someone decides to use your photo without your permission, what can you do except for asking them to stop. what if they don't, are you going to sue them? what if they in another corner of the world?

Last edited:
Steal steal loh, no big deal. Unless I'm making a living out from photography, I wouldn't care much.

But I've seen paranoid people watermarking ALL their photos on Flickr, even snapshots also big big watermarked. Then still got disclaimer on EVERY photo telling people the pictures are copyright, blah blah blah. Really crazy :bsmilie:

save your time. don't bother. there're really better things to do. if someone decides to use your photo without your permission, what can you do except for asking them to stop. what if they don't, are you going to sue them? what if they in another corner of the world?

to me, I watermark just to show my signature on my photo.
Just to show it's beendone by me

hi

actually i wasnt talking about snapshots, im talking about commercial shots like events/weddings etc.

would that change your approach? but i notice, as i said before, some very respected photographers dont do that as well... but i guess they are well known enough such that pple wld not dare.

Watermark can be clone or crop away if they want to steal your photo.....unless your watermark is damn big and ugly that will turn him off.

hi

actually i wasnt talking about snapshots, im talking about commercial shots like events/weddings etc.

would that change your approach? but i notice, as i said before, some very respected photographers dont do that as well... but i guess they are well known enough such that pple wld not dare.

Hi. If it is commercial (i.e. making money out of it), I'd wouldn't even want to leave it in the open Internet space.

Weddings - the likelihood of someone "stealing" your works is minimal; the only persons interested in the photo is the model or bride and groom.

Hi. If it is commercial (i.e. making money out of it), I'd wouldn't even want to leave it in the open Internet space.

Weddings - the likelihood of someone "stealing" your works is minimal; the only persons interested in the photo is the model or bride and groom.
very wrong, you have not encounter "fake" wedding photographers yet.

Try watermark on places that is hard to clone off.....

i guess watermarking anywhere will make it at least slightly harder to take the photos

very wrong, you have not encounter "fake" wedding photographers yet.

yeah exactly. i've heard and seen a few cases. personally i think its pretty stupid to try and do it in singapore since singapore is so small. but it happens!

oh well. i guess at the end of the day anyone can clone anything. in the same way that the music industry tries to protect their music, photographers will really have a hard time too. i suppose its just whether u want to make it harder for idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.