Waterfall

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerrySH

Oct 15, 2007
Hi all,

first time putting up my pic for critique, hope to receive constructive comments in helping me improve be it positive or negative. :)

Shot this waterfall at the entrance of Singapore Zoo. Wanting to have a calm feel of flowing water. Not sure if the bushes around are too distracting or not? So hereby need some guidance. :)

1/5s
f/10 at focal 20mm

waterfall.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

Interesting photograph and well taken however I just have two comments to make,

1.) I cant seem to find a focus point, my eyes keep roaming and I don't know where to start looking.

2.) The front part of the photograph is slightly over-exposed and thus distracting.

I suggest cropping in the sides a little to create a more central focus on the waterfall. Overall however its a really nice scenic shot of a waterfall!! Good Job =) looking forward to more photographs from you..

:p

Interesting photograph and well taken however I just have two comments to make,

1.) I cant seem to find a focus point, my eyes keep roaming and I don't know where to start looking.

2.) The front part of the photograph is slightly over-exposed and thus distracting.

Overall however its a really nice scenic shot of a waterfall!! Good Job =) looking forward to more photographs from you..

Thanks, I too can't find a focal point, just wanna concentrate on the flowing water itself? perhaps i up too much contrast while PP :dunno:

I try another one again next week. :)

If you wanna concentrate on the flowing water crop the sides a little to create a more portrait photograph with the waterfall being the larger emphasis in the photograph =)

This waterfall seems to be framed up by the vegetation beside. Maybe that rock right at the bottom is distracting.

I feel the cropped version looks better, but would still prefer if you lose the rock at the bottom. It's slightly overexposed and looks out of place and thus distracting...

I feel the cropped version looks better, but would still prefer if you lose the rock at the bottom. It's slightly overexposed and looks out of place and thus distracting...

ok :) thanks for all the comments, will be more careful with the exposure next time.

I tried cropping out the rock but it looks incomplete therefore I decided to leave it in (try it) =). The only way is to compensate by cropping in more of the sides and cropping out the log which appears halved when I crop out the rock from below:

waterfall-1.jpg

hmmm, so i guess have to do a tight crop, leaving only the water.

No pro here but some comments...

Believe tat it is hard to find an angle to take this mini waterfall but u might have tried to move a little forward and lower to exclude the vegetation on the right.

Normally to shoot waterfalls during a bright sunny day would require a ND filter. This would reduce the exposure down by between 1 to 4 stops depending on what grade u using. Try using a smaller aperture also but this would mean a slower shutter speed that would result in overexposure of the surroundings during a sunny day (A ND Filter is def a must to shoot silky smooth waterfalls during sunny days).

Nevertheless, a decent attempt... Keep On Shooting! ;)

No pro here but some comments...

Believe tat it is hard to find an angle to take this mini waterfall but u might have tried to move a little forward and lower to exclude the vegetation on the right.

Normally to shoot waterfalls during a bright sunny day would require a ND filter. This would reduce the exposure down by between 1 to 4 stops depending on what grade u using. Try using a smaller aperture also but this would mean a slower shutter speed that would result in overexposure of the surroundings during a sunny day (A ND Filter is def a must to shoot silky smooth waterfalls during sunny days).

Nevertheless, a decent attempt... Keep On Shooting! ;)

Hi, I'm not too sure wat an ND filter is, but i was using a normal UV filter for this shot.

Hi, I'm not too sure wat an ND filter is, but i was using a normal UV filter for this shot.

ND filter is a neutral density filter. For more details u can do a search on google on ND filter to get explanations and use for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.