Watercoloured Painting of 4 Seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshkoo

Jun 20, 2008
Sembawang
joshuakoo.com
n724118301_709536_2117.jpg

Is this picture eye pleasing or give any impact? If not, how can I improve?

Here's a set of chinese paintings I bought from China hung in my room. I took a couple of shots and angles, was about to throw away this shot when I gave a 2nd chance as I thought maybe it could make an impact. The original photo was ugly - the shadows seemed little awkward, and my wall color was a ugly orange.

B/W mask added but colors retain for the paintings. Added a couple of layers to create the border which mimics the painting frame and shadows. I scanned, give a little touch up and inserted my chinese name seal.

To me paintings will look more appealing if you take it straight from afront.

then you can showcase the intricacy of the pieces. a side angled composition tend to make it look odd with all the alignment of the paintings being neatly spaced out.

To me paintings will look more appealing if you take it straight from afront.

then you can showcase the intricacy of the pieces. a side angled composition tend to make it look odd with all the alignment of the paintings being neatly spaced out.

Thank you velasco for your comments. Here's a front shot that I've taken. somehow something still doesn't look correct :confused:

There is a vertical and horizontal distortion...

Shoot direct front on...

did you use a body flash or something? the shadows cast on the paintings look very harsh... bounce flash instead....

Thanks, I wondering if it was not straight because of the distortion of the wide angle lens 17-35 or that the frames was not hung straight. I'll trying shooting again straight on.

tainted: I didn't use flash but I pointed the table lamp onto it (causing the vertical shadows. the ceiling light is giving the bottom left shadows). The lamp seems to work well when I want to take small objects on the table without flash with a usual digital camera. Somehow with this f/3.5-4.5 lens as I still use iso800 to give enough light without handshake. If I don't use the lamp, I'll get something like this.

Bouncing the flash should be a good idea too, although I never thought of it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.