Watercoloured Painting of 4 Seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshkoo

Jun 20, 2008
Sembawang
joshuakoo.com

Is this picture eye pleasing or give any impact? If not, how can I improve?

Here's a set of chinese paintings I bought from China hung in my room. I took a couple of shots and angles, was about to throw away this shot when I gave a 2nd chance as I thought maybe it could make an impact. The original photo was ugly - the shadows seemed little awkward, and my wall color was a ugly orange.

B/W mask added but colors retain for the paintings. Added a couple of layers to create the border which mimics the painting frame and shadows. I scanned, give a little touch up and inserted my chinese name seal.

velasco

Jul 7, 2006
PARISris , Singapore
ukellyclarkson.com
To me paintings will look more appealing if you take it straight from afront.

then you can showcase the intricacy of the pieces. a side angled composition tend to make it look odd with all the alignment of the paintings being neatly spaced out.

joshkoo

Jun 20, 2008
Sembawang
joshuakoo.com
To me paintings will look more appealing if you take it straight from afront.

then you can showcase the intricacy of the pieces. a side angled composition tend to make it look odd with all the alignment of the paintings being neatly spaced out.
Thank you velasco for your comments. Here's a front shot that I've taken. somehow something still doesn't look correct :confused:

zac08

Feb 21, 2005
East
There is a vertical and horizontal distortion...

Shoot direct front on...

tainted

Feb 6, 2006
in Critterdom
did you use a body flash or something? the shadows cast on the paintings look very harsh... bounce flash instead....

joshkoo

Jun 20, 2008
Sembawang
joshuakoo.com
Thanks, I wondering if it was not straight because of the distortion of the wide angle lens 17-35 or that the frames was not hung straight. I'll trying shooting again straight on.

tainted: I didn't use flash but I pointed the table lamp onto it (causing the vertical shadows. the ceiling light is giving the bottom left shadows). The lamp seems to work well when I want to take small objects on the table without flash with a usual digital camera. Somehow with this f/3.5-4.5 lens as I still use iso800 to give enough light without handshake. If I don't use the lamp, I'll get something like this.

Bouncing the flash should be a good idea too, although I never thought of it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom