Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbesyeo

Feb 16, 2005
Singapore
www.sxc.hu
DSC_0206b_Medium_.jpg

I would appreciate any constructive comments that would help me improve.
Thank you for viewing!
:)

Just my 0.02 SGD...

There are two features of the water droplets that I find of interest: a) the more or less regular pattern formed by them on the plant, and b) the shape and light effects (refraction) of the individual droplets.

For highlighting a), I think it would help to show a larger area of the droplet-covered leaf in focus so that the pattern and the repetition of the droplets becomes the main graphical motif.

For highlighting b), I think I'd rather try to concentrate on a smaller number of droplets and have them large enough in the picture so that the shape and their lens-like effect on depicting the background is visible. On my monitor, it actually looks like the droplets are mostly burned out - a big turnoff for me.

Maybe there's an option c) that you wanted to show, but I don't quite see it yet.

Hi,
Thanks for your comments. Most insightful.:thumbsup:

I would have like to capture a larger portion of the droplets, however, the drops would ...err... drop away (no pun intended) when I move the leave for a better angle. So I had to make do.

All but one of the droplets don't appear burnout to me. They still retain their "greeness" at the bottom. So I'm not quite sure what happened there.

But I think you point about the having a main focus is quite right. A tighter crop of the droplets might improve the pic. Plus looking at the pic again now, the center vein is quite distracting to me now.

Thanks for your comments again! :)

Hobbesyeo said:
All but one of the droplets don't appear burnout to me. They still retain their "greeness" at the bottom. So I'm not quite sure what happened there.

It could be my monitor - I'm writing this from a laptop. I can't see much structure in the droplets on it.

LittleWolf said:
It could be my monitor - I'm writing this from a laptop. I can't see much structure in the droplets on it.

No worries.

Anyway I just tried to crop closer to just show the droplets. Some how it doesn't look right - the leave becomes just a green surface. It doesn't quite show what I wanted - that is waterdroplets on a fern leave.

hmmm.. maybe its time to get a proper macro lense.:think:

Hobbesyeo said:
Hi,
Plus looking at the pic again now, the center vein is quite distracting to me now.
:)

I like the line as the I find it separates the drops in focus from OOF foreground and provides a certain symmetry to the picture. However, I find the 2 round-ish things in the corner distracting. Maybe a more panoramic crop could work better and, as LittleWolf already suggested, a great DOF.

eel said:
I like the line as the I find it separates the drops in focus from OOF foreground and provides a certain symmetry to the picture. However, I find the 2 round-ish things in the corner distracting. Maybe a more panoramic crop could work better and, as LittleWolf already suggested, a great DOF.

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I didn't think of trying a pano crop. :thumbsup:

Yeah, the 2 roundish bright spots are kinda distracting. Those were prob reflections from the other fern leaves which were directly in the sun.:think:

I think I might go back and try this shot again but this time, I'll bring my own "rain". :bsmilie:

need macro lens to do this shot?
how close up did you get?

rt7snap said:
need macro lens to do this shot?
how close up did you get?

Not really, this shot was taken with a 50mm f1.8. I think I was pretty much at the edge of the minimum focus distance, so for the 50mm, that would be half a meter i think.:think:

tks for reply

Status
Not open for further replies.