Water: The Flowing Element

Status
Not open for further replies.

xuthiensun

Nov 30, 2008
Singapore
Hey folks! Still kinda new here, so I figure I should try to expose myself more by posting up something here and to share with what I managed to produce recently.

The first three shots were done last Sunday while the last one was done today, several hours ago. All photographs were taken using a Canon 450D with a 50mm f1.8 II lens.

The setup was done in my room, using mahjong paper, a clamp-on table lamp, cheapo tripod (need to replace it very soon) and a lot of patience. Oh, and the first three photos left the table fairly wet, too.

Thanks for taking the time to look and I appreciate any opinions, comments & criticisms!

Last edited:
Nice pictures you have there...;)

wat was the setting u use for those shoot?i also very new to photography,,..,thanks

Nice pictures! I like Pic 3. :)

Nicer bottle and croppingoff the straw will be nice.

What kind of dye did you use?

Nice pictures you have there...;)

Thanks! :D

wat was the setting u use for those shoot?i also very new to photography,,..,thanks

First 3 photos used 1/4000, ISO1600, f1.8 on burst. The last one used 1/125, ISO100, f1.8 on burst.

Nice pictures! I like Pic 3. :)

Haha, yeah, that was the most annoying shot to get. Glad I got it though!

Nicer bottle and croppingoff the straw will be nice.

What kind of dye did you use?

I agree about the bottle, because I didn't think about having it in the shot initially and the original idea was to take the water flow only, but when I accidentally moved the bottle in frame the photo looked nicer.

I could crop off the straw, but wouldn't it be too plain? But maybe I shouldn't use a straw, it does look a bit funny. I did have a dropper but I only found that much later after the shot was taken. ;p

And I just used normal food colouring, which you probably have lying somewhere in the house and/or kitchen cupboards. Unless of course no one bakes in the house. :D

#1 and #3 are really beautiful! :thumbsup:

Tried few weeks ago and I couldn't get the waterdrop stay still and it was blurred as well... hope to try them again. :)

bro, can share how u setup and techniques in this kind of shoot?

Very impressed bro... I've tried to shoot something like this but failed... Can U describe more on ya setup pls, so tat I can learn from U.. thx U so much !!

Of course you guys can see the setup!

3300746624_15d8776076_o.jpg

Hope this is clear enough to understand. :D

Oh, and I didn't use much techniques. Just gotta position the camera properly, and have a lot of patience. Plus trial and error. Oh yeah, and Live View helps a lot too. Thank goodness for the 450D. :D

Last edited:
They're all lovely, really!

I think you might be "deciding" between pic # 1 & 2, but pic 1 is definitely the winner, with a more "spontaneous" pour, and the cooler WB definitely helps when it comes to photographing water.

The glow achieved on the apple in pic #3 is beautiful.

Pic #4 has that slightly dangerous, potent, ER look.

Lighting is beautiful too! You managed to stay free of any bad reflections :thumbsup: A very common mistake among people photographing glass items. Everything well controlled, i have no problems with the crop either. It's your expression, how you want the frame to look like for us.

Last edited:
They're all lovely, really!

I think you might be "deciding" between pic # 1 & 2, but pic 1 is definitely the winner, with a more "spontaneous" pour, and the cooler WB definitely helps when it comes to photographing water.

The glow achieved on the apple in pic #3 is beautiful.

Pic #4 has that slightly dangerous, potent, ER look.

Lighting is beautiful too! You managed to stay free of any bad reflections :thumbsup: A very common mistake among people photographing glass items. Everything well controlled, i have no problems with the crop either. It's your expression, how you want the frame to look like for us.

Haha, yes! That is so true, I had a hard time decided between pictures one and two. I think the next round I should try using red colouring for a more bold effect.

Thanks for all the comments! I really appreciate them! :D

I like #3, gives some interesting ideas of what you might be able to do with food coloring for water snap shots ;-)

pretty! thanks for sharing bro!

Great JOB!
love the blue ink in the water....

thanks for sharing how to take the short..

Status
Not open for further replies.