Water sculptures

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlcy85

Dec 16, 2004
www.flickr.com
Hi all, decided to have a try with shooting water sculptures with water droplets. MUCH harder than i thought! As an experimental attempt, please give C&C with regards to lighting and composition.

1) I used a water bottle with a hole punched through the cap, realized that mite have made the drops to be too big and the ripples too messy :eek: any idea on how to get better controlled droplets?

2) would using a large dish instead of a small glass be better? i tot adding the glass in the frame was nice to give some perspective, not sure if it works well

3) and if the shots even work for you, a vote for which shot works best would be good =D

3445405336_a8b75e6928.jpg

3445419856_8aedc42570.jpg

3445405372_2987695ac8.jpg

3445405324_3ef6c5c5eb.jpg

Rest of the pics can be found in my flickr set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47749056@N00/sets/72157616816158318/

Thanks all in advance =D

Last edited:
#3 is nice, however I think #4 gets my vote as it crops right into the subject (rebounding water) :)

Actually, all are nice!:bsmilie:

#3 is nice, however I think #4 gets my vote as it crops right into the subject (rebounding water) :)

Actually, all are nice!:bsmilie:
haha thanks for comments =D altho i dun quite like #4 coz the ripples are messy and cropped off, will try to improve in 2nd try :thumbsup:

Nice ! Good try :thumbsup:

Nice Pics. May i know which lens and what setup did you use to take these shots?

Nice Pics. May i know which lens and what setup did you use to take these shots?

hi, for setup i used 2 wireless flashes, and shot at shutter speed 1/250 and a very small aperture, mostly f/20 depending on the flash power i used. pre-focused normally at the spot where i'm expecting the water droplet to hit, but realized damn hard coz water keep falling wrong direction -_-" altho the small aperture means i got very wide depth of field so still managed to get relatively focused shots

lens was canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro, with EOS 40D =D altho any lens which can focus close enough would do

I like #2! It fits your 'water sculpture' theme 'cos the droplets seem to form a man/woman on the water surface, like a sculpture. I also like #4 just because of the closer focus on the water surface and cropping such that there is less of the glass..

Hi mlcy85,

All of the photo's are good, (I would be happy with the resluts).

Please continue to experiment and post your results :thumbsup:

Will you try dropping colour such as ink into the clear water or visa-versa at any time :dunno:

Maybe (with a bigger glass) dropping a cube of ice ?

Enjoyed your photo's,

Cheers :)

Thanks Mate. Nice learning for me.
my pleasure =D

I like #2! It fits your 'water sculpture' theme 'cos the droplets seem to form a man/woman on the water surface, like a sculpture. I also like #4 just because of the closer focus on the water surface and cropping such that there is less of the glass..
haha thanks! altho i'm very unsatisfied with my composition, prefer not to see the glass at all, and ripples too messy. hope can get better results next time =D

Hi mlcy85,

All of the photo's are good, (I would be happy with the resluts).

Please continue to experiment and post your results :thumbsup:

Will you try dropping colour such as ink into the clear water or visa-versa at any time :dunno:

Maybe (with a bigger glass) dropping a cube of ice ?

Enjoyed your photo's,

Cheers :)
thanks! yeah tot of dropping diff coloured liquids and as u said ice cubes as well, will definitely post again when i do that. but it's tekong enlistment for me tomorrow so next month then can try =( thanks for the encouragement and suggestions too :thumbsup:

No.2 is my choice.

clear water is easier to handle than coloured or ink, as one drop into...means a reset/replacement up of clear water.
ice cube means requiring a larger shooting space,to shoot and to get wet.

once read a Hasselblad article, a lady photographer was experimenting with glassware shattered by bullets...can imagine how much preparation works goes into it.

No.2 is my choice.

clear water is easier to handle than coloured or ink, as one drop into...means a reset/replacement up of clear water.
ice cube means requiring a larger shooting space,to shoot and to get wet.

once read a Hasselblad article, a lady photographer was experimenting with glassware shattered by bullets...can imagine how much preparation works goes into it.

thanks for voting and the advice! will take that into consideration on my next attempt =D

wah how the hasselblad lady get a u gun in the first place :eek:

thanks for voting and the advice! will take that into consideration on my next attempt =D

wah how the hasselblad lady get a u gun in the first place :eek:

They/She done it in Swiss, her homeland I suppose, might have a different standard.

Actually I'd two proposal...

#1 dropping little fishes into the aquarium...catch them in midair or when touching the water, technique it's the same as you'd used, only subject got life...hmmm some might complain it's cruelty....u think about it. ( I think, eating chicken rice, pork chop or beef steak also the same..here at least the fish don't die. )

#2 drop small little tomatoes instead...safer here, technique same...no complain but added colour.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.